Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1. peridoc's Avatar
    Posts
    421 Posts
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
       #1  
    Is there a easy way (i.e. keyboard, etc.) to get to the command bar on a Treo 600 without using a graffiti program such as Newpen or Jot?

    In case you don't know, the command bar is not the same as the "Menu" button...the command bar is a toolbar that can be accessed by a "/" stroke in the graffiti area. I was hoping there was an easier way to invoke it though.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Keith
  2. #2  
    I use the menu button for just the kind of thing your looking for -- in Snapper Mail, "menu + A" fetches mail.

    But since you say you don't want the menu ... I'm not sure any more...
  3. peridoc's Avatar
    Posts
    421 Posts
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
       #3  
    Pressing "menu" and then a button is actually a link to a shortcut in the menu system. That is actually different than calling up the "command bar". The command bar actually can run other programs within the current program (for example: I installed a spellchecker to my Treo 600 - LexSpell - and it can be run inside Snapper to check the spelling of your email from the command bar).

    I was hoping there might be some sort of a shortcut on the Treo 600 to pull up the command bar...

    Keith
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by peridoc
    (for example: I installed a spellchecker to my Treo 600 - LexSpell - and it can be run inside Snapper to check the spelling of your email from the command bar).

    I was hoping there might be some sort of a shortcut on the Treo 600 to pull up the command bar...
    There is no shortcut unfortunately. The OS does support it, but for some reason Handspring keeps leaving out a key combo for it. I think when metsfan gets keycapshack ported to the 600 it should work, at least if I remembered to send my patch in.

    I did see a post on the SnapperMail list which may help you in the meantime. Let me dig it up..

    comicmasta wrote:


    In SpellCheck turn on the "Graffiti ABC double-click" option
    under "Preferences"

    Then in Snapper, when you want to spell check, Hit Menu-Edit-Keyboard.
    That should activate SpellCheck.(It does for me)

    Note: You can NOT hit Menu-K
    This does not work, as it brings up the normal keyboard, you must do
    it with the Stylus, or 5-Way.
  5. macfan's Avatar
    Posts
    103 Posts
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    #5  
    Here is something you might find interesting. I bought the Handspring OEM portable / folding keyboard for my Treo 600. I like it very much, BTW. Anyway, while pressing various key combinations on the portable keyboard looking for easter eggs, I discovered that the combination of (FN) and (OPT) makes the command / shortcut bar pop up and appear. Having discovered this, I tried to duplicate it on the Treo 600's thumb board, but haven't been able to so far.

    macfan
  6. #6  
    Originally posted by potatoho

    There is no shortcut unfortunately. The OS does support it, but for some reason Handspring keeps leaving out a key combo for it. I think when metsfan gets keycapshack ported to the 600 it should work, at least if I remembered to send my patch in.

    I did see a post on the SnapperMail list which may help you in the meantime. Let me dig it up..

    "In SpellCheck turn on the "Graffiti ABC double-click" option
    under "Preferences"

    Then in Snapper, when you want to spell check, Hit Menu-Edit-Keyboard.
    That should activate SpellCheck.(It does for me)

    Note: You can NOT hit Menu-K
    This does not work, as it brings up the normal keyboard, you must do
    it with the Stylus, or 5-Way."
    Thank you for that incredibly helpful reference to Yahoo Groups. I'm a member of that group and I never thought to search this one. I've used SpellCheck, and think it's the best spell checker, but could never figure out why it did not work in SM. A few too many steps, but it works and works fast on the T600.
  7. #7  
    [deleted]
  8. #8  
    There is a program that can bring up command that I found by accident. Try out QLaunch with one of its Special functions for a button assignment.
  9. #9  
    From Treo Tech Support:

    "You can use shortcuts for instance in the Memo Pad

    At first you add the text :

    Appointment with Fred on
    Next you type a space followed by the character [s]
    Now use the List type button and tab on the lowest character. Next you enter the shortcut, if you have entered everything correctly the ds will be replaced by the actual date."

    ie to use ds for datestamp type ...

    [space]s[alt][select bottom character from the list]ds
  10. peridoc's Avatar
    Posts
    421 Posts
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
       #10  
    I am not really sure what Handspring is referring to in the previous post or how it relates to the command bar, but I have also found (in addition to QLaunch) that Hi-Launcher has a option to bring up the "Toolbar" which is the same as the command bar as one of its special options.

    Keith
  11. #11  
    Originally posted by justploughin
    From Treo Tech Support:

    "You can use shortcuts for instance in the Memo Pad

    ie to use ds for datestamp type ...

    [space]s[alt][select bottom character from the list]ds
    This seems to refer to just generating the graffiti shortcut character (that kind of hairpin looking thing). Not the command bar.
  12. #12  
    Originally posted by peridoc
    I am not really sure what Handspring is referring to in the previous post or how it relates to the command bar, but I have also found (in addition to QLaunch) that Hi-Launcher has a option to bring up the "Toolbar" which is the same as the command bar as one of its special options.

    Keith
    FWIW:

    HiLauncher can indeed raise up a command bar. 2 issues with it. The bar disappears after a few seconds so one has to react quickly. The other issue is that it is no better than menuing over to keyboard. So, though it works, and is a different method, it's no better.
  13. #13  
    In this thread, software called SpellCheck was mentioned and suggested it would work across applications, including Snappermail. Can someone post a link to a site where it can be downloaded/tested/purchased?
  14. #14  
    Originally posted by thr61
    In this thread, software called SpellCheck was mentioned and suggested it would work across applications, including Snappermail. Can someone post a link to a site where it can be downloaded/tested/purchased?
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...A&prodID=43938

    To make this work in SM read the posts in this thread. It will only work in one way for SM, but it does work.
  15. #15  
    "baleeted"
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by peridoc
    Pressing "menu" and then a button is actually a link to a shortcut in the menu system. That is actually different than calling up the "command bar". The command bar actually can run other programs within the current program (for example: I installed a spellchecker to my Treo 600 - LexSpell - and it can be run inside Snapper to check the spelling of your email from the command bar).

    I was hoping there might be some sort of a shortcut on the Treo 600 to pull up the command bar...

    Keith
    How DO you pull up the command bar?
    I have heard different programs mention it (such as LexSpell) but they don't say how.
    I don't have Snapper Mail so that's not an option for me, but I would like to pull it up b/c this seem to be the only way I can get my LexEpell to work.

    Also I don't have graffiti...at least I don't think so...wait, actually I just checked my file manager in Zlauncher and there's a file in there named Graffiti ShotCuts, yet I've done the stuff they ask you to do to envoke Graffiti (stroke from left to right or something like that) and it has never worked. r is it that the stroke has to be done in a specific place on the screen?
    Plus it's only 508B, is that right? that's quite small...could I have deleted the real program by mistake.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  17. #17  
    There is no graffiti area on the Treo, so no graffiti shortcuts will work without additional software. Butler (aka TreoButler) can launch the command bar by holding menu or pressing shift-menu.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
  18. #18  
    Try to use the application Grafitti Anywhere... It will allow you to draw a shortcut key and the command bar will appear..
    [Mid 1990's] Casio SF-7500 > Casio SF-9500 > Casio Planeo NX-6000 - Motorola 5200 > [1998] Palmpilot Pro - Ericsson GH388 > Palm Pilot Pro (2 MB) - Nokia 3210 > Palmpilot Pro (8 MB) - Ericsson GF788e > [1999] Handspring Visor Deluxe - Ericsson GF788e > [2001] Palm IIIC - Motorola V3688 - Nokia 8210 > [2002] Palm 505 - Motorola Timeport P7689 > [2004] Treo 600> [2005]Treo 600-Dell X50v[2006]Treo 650-Atom Pure
  19. #19  
    Why does everyone want to use the command bar anyway? Any decent software has been updated to use key combinations etc.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType
    Why does everyone want to use the command bar anyway? Any decent software has been updated to use key combinations etc.
    Not sure of any other way to launch Desk Accessories (I have like 14) w/o using an app like DA Launcher, which unless you have a graffiti area, you have to use the command bar to launch...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions