1.    #1  
    Anyone here use the security app built into the 600 and having problems with it? I have the security app set to auto lock after 8 minutes. I also have auto-off after 1minute (set under Pref>general) where the backlight is turned off after the set time. It seems that about 20 % of the time, when I am in Blazer reading a page and the backlight goes off after 1 minute, I hit the power button to turn on the backlight and find the system is locked and I have to enter a password to get back in. What's puzzling is it doesn't always do this. This is particularly annoying because Blazer is reset and I lost the page I was on and have to go through the whole process of opening the page from my bookmarks.

Any clue as to what is causing this?
  2. rfm
    I've noticed this as well. Additionally, I've noticed that sometimes the security lockout doesn't come on at all.

I've experimented with this some and thought there was some program interfering with the lockout. I discovered that BatteryGraph (v1.21) was causing some problems, so I removed it. This improved the times the security lockout worked, but it didn't solve it.

It still seems that the security lockout feature only works about half the time it should.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
    I experience this problem as well. In fact, I experienced the same problem with my Samsung i500 before I became a Treo convert. Perhaps it's just Palm OS?

-M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by rfm
    I've noticed this as well. Additionally, I've noticed that sometimes the security lockout doesn't come on at all.

I've experimented with this some and thought there was some program interfering with the lockout. I discovered that BatteryGraph (v1.21) was causing some problems, so I removed it. This improved the times the security lockout worked, but it didn't solve it.

It still seems that the security lockout feature only works about half the time it should.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
    Judging from the few replies to this thread, I am gussing not to many people use password protection on their 600. I became very concerned about security after reading about Felipe's loss of his 270 in Paris, France a few months back. Now I religiusly use the security app (if we can find one that works reliably).

I did a hard reset and more test of the security app and it still unpredictable in when it enables the lockout. For me, it is enabling it too soon which becomes a pain in the **** because I have to constantly enter my password. I called in a trouble ticket to HS and I urge you to do the same so they will get working on a fix and a patch.

Has anyone try PAutolock on the 600? I'll give it a try tonight.
    I'm also experiencing the same unpredictable system lockout behavior on my Treo 600. I tried pAutoLock 1.2 but it resets the device when I try to activate the application.

It always worked fine on my Treo 300 so I would like to believe this is related to Palm OS 5. Can anybody confirm this?

I can live with the erratic behavior but my real concern is the lock after reset functionality. Guess Iíll keep searching. Any good workaround in the meantime?

Thanks.
    Anyone know what happens if you get hit by a rock and forget your password? Do you have to re-install the whole thing, or just hotsync it again?

It would be great if you could unlock it by hotsyncing from the original computer (perhaps it would just match the hotsync user name).

Most of us just need security from losing the thing....
  7.    #7  
    Bad news, I woke up this am to find my T600 wide open. It did not ask for a password. It should have. I did a few experiments and waited the 8 minutes for the unit to lock and it did not. I tried this multiple times with the same results. It was on a blazer webpage that did not have a "back" or "forward" icon.

I did a soft reset and it was ok again for the time being.

This is not very re-assuring. I will call in a trouble ticket with Handspring and I urge you to do the same, i.e. if you are having problems.

In the meantime, anyone have a good free security app for the 600?

Another question: Why are shareware security apps so expensive? They all seem to be $19.95. Is there a lot to writing security s/w for Palm?
    More thoughts on the unpredictable system lockout issue...

Up until today I have had my 600 set to lock after a preset delay of 30 minutes (using the built in security application). As I understand this setting, the device is supposed to lock after 30 minutes of inactivity. Now, let's say for the sake of argument that the security application IS working correctly.

I consider myself a heavy user, between phone calls, SMS messages, automatic mail retrieval every hour, reminders, and general toying with the 600 - is it possible that my 600 is never inactive for more than 30 minutes? I would certainly think that there must exist a 30 minute window somewhere (especially at night) where it should go inactive.

Based on the above reasoning, earlier this afternoon I set my 600 to lock after 2 minutes of inactivity. Since then every time I have retrieved the 600 from my pocket it has been locked (or locks on completion of the incoming phone call or data session). Seems to support my theory. Can someone poke a hole in this line of reasoning?

Iím now gradually increasing the time to lock until I find something comfortable. If I really am keeping the 600 active as much as I think then I suppose I should reassess my security methods. This makes a feature like mSafeís lock via SMS look very attractive.

Any thoughts? Sorry for thinking out loud.
    Originally posted by newtreouser

Judging from the few replies to this thread, I am gussing not to many people use password protection on their 600. I became very concerned about security after reading about Felipe's loss of his 270 in Paris, France a few months back. Now I religiusly use the security app (if we can find one that works reliably).

I don't know if Felipe also lost his 270 in Paris a few months ago, but I know I did and I posted about my saga here. I posted afterwards that I started using pAutolock.

I, too, am very disaapointed at the erratic behavior of the auto lock feature of the Treo and I'm looking for a solution. I will keep you posted. Let's keep reporting the results of our efforts here.
    I use the security app but instead of having it lock after a preset delay I have it lock at a set time each day (lunchtime as it happens). This works reliably.

My reasoning for this strategy is that if I do lose it, whoever finds it gets up to a day to play with it and see what a cool device it is before seeing the lockout screen which displays my name, address and email and offers a reward for the treo's return.

All sensitive data is further protected as private records and or encrypted.

I used this stategy on my 180 (using Teallock) and it worked - got a call from the bus company after I left it on a bus.
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
  11.    #11  
    Sorry Silverado, I meant you, not Felipe.
    tgabber, I'll try your way. Only thing I don't like is the 600 will be unprotected till it locks, which can be near 24 hours.
  12.    #12  
    PAutolock crashes the 600. NG
    I set my autolock (after reading this thread) to after 5 hours... and found that it didn't lock the first night, but did lock the second night. Night is the only time it sits idle for 5 whole hours. Has anyone connected the lock not working to the wireless service being left on?
    Based on my experience I donít know if the connection is specific to wireless mode Ė any activity on the 600 seems to keep it awake for me. For example, I can't control when I receive phone calls, SMS Ė but even if I turn off wireless mode I still have reminders from the calendar, DiddleBug alerts (rfm mentioned BatteryGraph earlier in this thread, but I thought it only activated briefly during power up/down to take a measurement), and other alarms that go off at random intervals. That said, I end up leaving wireless mode on all the time so maybe Iím missing something.

Has anyone seen a comparison of Palm OS security apps? I just started working on one but thought I would ask first (already searched but may have missed something). Iíll post my version if others want to comment.

Thanks.
    My unit just had it's first crash.... I've been using it heavily for the past two weeks and just turned on the Security thingy two days ago. It crashed as I was waking it after a couple hour slumber. The lock shouldn't have come on at that time, but it was interesting that it happened on waking and that it hasn't happened before.
    Hmmn... I don't think I've had a security app related crash on the 600 yet (other than testing pAutoLock) - my 300 used to crash once in a while due to what appeared to be another app (usually some kind of alert) popping up at the same time security was trying to lock the device.

In regard to overall Palm OS 5 security I just read this: http://www.palmsource.com/enterprise/security.html
    It seems that OS 5 has support for quite a lot of security features that are still waiting to be implemented publicly.

Thanks.