1.    #1  
    The Wall Street Journal reports when discussing PLMO's next quarter that 480000 Treo 600 have been delivered (probably into the channel, not sold to end customer). Does anyone have any idea if this can be correct? The number seems awfully huge.
    Actually I believe the number is 48,000, not 480,000.
    PalmOne's analyst meeting friday said 48,000 units have been Sold-In (Ie, they are in the distribution channels, this does not mean that they have been sold to the end user htough)
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    An airprime contract addendum to a Handspring 10Q or 10K had a price that Handspring had to pay for JUST a radio module in it - $300 each.

Let's assume there was, say, an OUTRAGEOUS 200% markup on that and each really only cost Handspring $100.

Let's further say that EVERYTHING else in the TREO 600 cost the same amount as the radio and no more.

That is, the wholesale cost for Handspring for each TREO 600 is a mere $200.

Let's see...$200 x 480,000 = about $100,000,000.

Do you REALLY think a company that has negative stock equity can convince a manufacturer to extend them a 100 million dollars worth of credit?

Oh. Wait! No, I get it!

Orange and Sprint, doing superlatively in the competitive environment that they are, BOUGHT $50,000,000 worth each!

That is, in two months they bought more TREO 600s than ALL THE PRIOR TREOs COMBINED over the last two years!

===

There's a reason the Me-Too Media is called the Me-Too Media - not an original "thought" in their heads (hey! Who needs to do costly time-consuming research when you can just "report" what someone else has reported!)

=====
    =====

[edit added well after posting original]

Just looked up one of the old TreoCentral posts where I referenced the Handspring financial doc and the Airprime contract - here is a link to the document:

-- http://www.edgar-online.com/bin/edga...02-005072&nad=

Go to the very end and page up a page or so and you'll see:

== "...Additional DVT1 or DVT2 units can be purchased by
    == Handspring from AirPrime for $300.00 per unit..."

It also mentions "PVT Units" with what seems like a somewhat late delivery date implying somethign for the NEXT product, IMHO - those of you into radio module tech-speak might actually know what this contract is talking about!
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 11/09/2003 at 03:26 PM.
  5. purpleA
    Originally posted by miradu
    PalmOne's analyst meeting friday said 48,000 units have been Sold-In (Ie, they are in the distribution channels, this does not mean that they have been sold to the end user htough)
    It's amazing how quickly people pick up on this. I've seen at least two other Palm sites claiming Palm sold 480,000 Treo 600s. There's no way Handspring could even have made that many much less found a market for them. In the States, at least, my guess is that they've sold (to real people - not carriers) between 5,000 - 10,000 Treo 600s since the intro. Not bad, but once the early adopters have bought theirs, I really doubt those numbers will keep up, even when prices drop later this year.
    Best I can tell from the filing, and this is a guess based on experience with radio manufacturers, working with these manufacturers to deploy product in network, and the dates posted in filing:

- E => Experimental or Evaluation (These units were delivered in November 2002 and were probably used by HS to determine if they wanted to use the product).

- D => Development/Preproduction (used by HS for development purposes)

- P => Production

The PVT units should be what every CDMA Treo 600 user has in their phones right now. Everything looks in-line with what I saw when I was testing wireless stuff. First the vendor gives you something to test to see if you want to use them. Since this seems like a joint development venture, it was more on the lines of getting the first units to ensure that the met the requirements put out by HS. Then when HS decided the E units would meet the requirements, the D units were developed and used for in depth integration testing. After testing is done, the production units, which may be identical to the D units are made.

Development units of anything are usually much higher than the actual costs because they usually have special diagnostic capabilities. The radio should be less than $100, and could be much less. I would guess that HS has about $200 - $300 in cost per unit right now, and that should go down as the parts become cheaper and efficiencies are gained. Could be cheaper for them but I have no way of knowing.
    The $300 radios refrenced in the above article are for DVT modules - these are for Airprimes "beta's" of the module, and are generally somewhat hand made and of limited availability.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff