1. MrH
    I've done some searches and I haven't been able to come up with a definitive answer on this...does anyone know when the 'Other Carrier' GSM Treo 600 will be released by HS? Also does anyone know when the $399 upgrade will be available?

Thanks to all that reply!

M@
    AT&T runs support forums for their customers. According to a long-time poster and typically good resource in the Palm board, AT&T's tentative date is November 10th. He puts the price at $549 (ouch). No info as to rebates / upgrade breaks - nor does he know if this is the Cingular (got none - but will take your order) type release - or something more tangible. My guess is it's a Cingular type release, although they haven't done that with any other phone that I am aware of.

They just released the Motorola MPx200 - the first GSM running MS's smartphone OS. A phone with similar interest and appeal for gadget guys - and they had them in stock when it was released. Free next day shipping. And a 30 day no-hassle return thank god - what a P.O.C. - but that's another thread.........
    Originally posted by SQLDba
    AT&T runs support forums for their customers. According to a long-time poster and typically good resource in the Palm board, AT&T's tentative date is November 10th. He puts the price at $549 (ouch). No info as to rebates / upgrade breaks - nor does he know if this is the Cingular (got none - but will take your order) type release - or something more tangible. My guess is it's a Cingular type release, although they haven't done that with any other phone that I am aware of.

They just released the Motorola MPx200 - the first GSM running MS's smartphone OS. A phone with similar interest and appeal for gadget guys - and they had them in stock when it was released. Free next day shipping. And a 30 day no-hassle return thank god - what a P.O.C. - but that's another thread.........
    Actually, the Cingular "launch" is not a "got none - but will take your order".

I have personally spoken to people at HS who have said that they have PLENTY. They are already in boxes and merely await shipping.

So it is really - "got some, but YOU aren't getting it YET".

Both people have not been told exactly why the stuff is boxed and ready but not shipping. They say it's very odd to be told to take orders for delayed shipping while inventory is clearly there. Compounding the odd situation is a notable absence of any real information regarding AT&T and T-Mo. Sure the muckety mucks know a lot, but apparently, there is a real button down with senior people talking in riddles and with vague squishy language when the questions are asked about release dates.

Personally, I don't believe in coincidences. The common thread between the two oddities - boxed and ready Cingular units while only taking "pre-orders" combined with slipperty tactics regarding T-Mo and AT&T is that they are GSM phones.

None of this happened with Orange or Sprint or the overseas release of unlocked units.

The situation SCREAMS out that HS has problems with GSM carrier coordination in the US.

Now a lot of people in these boards hate it when I point out OBVIOUS stuff like this. They tell me it's only a phone, get a life, yadda yadda yadda.

Naturally, if they truly felt that way they wouldn't waste time with me, and certainly they wouldn't respond with harshness. They'd just move on to the next post. Truth be told, if they truly felt this was just a phone, they wouldn't be long time posters lurking on boards like this....

But let's take this "just a phone" situation and apply it to HS.

It's just a phone! Why do you insist on LYING to people, misleading them, freezing their purchase decisions? Just tell people the truth, without squishy words and lies.
    Originally posted by zipmitz

Now a lot of people in these boards hate it when I point out OBVIOUS stuff like this. They tell me it's only a phone, get a life, yadda yadda yadda.
    What they hate is you pointing it out in almost every thread that mentions the GSM Treo 600 that anyone starts in any forum. Oh, wait a minute, I just remembered this board has the Ignore list. I just solved my problem.
    Originally posted by MikePA

What they hate is you pointing it out in almost every thread that mentions the GSM Treo 600 that anyone starts in any forum. Oh, wait a minute, I just remembered this board has the Ignore list. I just solved my problem.
    Actually, if you pay attention (perhaps too much to expect...) you will see that I only respond to posts where people raise the issue of delivery dates and launch dates.

Then again, I see a fair amount of people who chime in breathlessly with "ooooh, I can't wait for my Treo" time and time again.

But that doesn't seem to bother you. Because you have the same child-like giddiness about your new toy and you can't let yourself get mad at Santa....
    Assuming, as we must since GSM phones are available elsewhere, that HS is the least of the problems. If they have inventory, they want to move it ... or else it costs them $$$$$.

My guess this is a carrier issue. With LNP coming up, the GSM carriers are going to duke it out with this phone (IMO). The market for the GSM carriers is probably bigger than the CDMA market ... and they are going to each want more. I think this is the bottleneck ... glad I left Cingular for Sprint last year.

Who knows, maybe Cingular and ATTWS are merging to fight T-Mo and its German parent? I can't figure out why Verizon isn't on the bandwagon. With Vodaphone they could easily sell more than anyone else

Who knows ...
    Originally posted by tjd414
    Assuming, as we must since GSM phones are available elsewhere, that HS is the least of the problems. If they have inventory, they want to move it ... or else it costs them $$$$$.

My guess this is a carrier issue. With LNP coming up, the GSM carriers are going to duke it out with this phone (IMO). The market for the GSM carriers is probably bigger than the CDMA market ... and they are going to each want more. I think this is the bottleneck ... glad I left Cingular for Sprint last year.

Who knows, maybe Cingular and ATTWS are merging to fight T-Mo and its German parent? I can't figure out why Verizon isn't on the bandwagon. With Vodaphone they could easily sell more than anyone else

Who knows ...
    Truth be told, I have a hard time believing that any carrier is gonna get jiggy over the impact of 48,000 handsets in the WORLDWIDE MARKET. If one assumes that every one of them will be sold in the US, you are still talking about the equivalent of an eyedropper in the Pacific Ocean.

What's more, why would they pick on one and only one product launch? Wouldn't they drag their feet on ALL new product launches?

None of this, by the way justifies the OUTRIGHT LIES that Handspring has told eager early adopters who were primed to buy and have had to sit for weeks while others throughout the world as well as CDMA users domestically, get their units while we just sit there watching hungrily.

If you accept the notion that GSM is much larger than CDMA, it's a wonder they would jerk around such a larger share of their market with dishonesty and misleading product launches that are nothing other than pre-orders, coupled with shipment delay warnings.
    Originally posted by tjd414
    My guess this is a carrier issue. With LNP coming up, the GSM carriers are going to duke it out with this phone (IMO).
    I highly doubt anyone is going to use a device that accounts for less than 1% of their handset sales and is really expansive, so they probably have to subsidize more, to do any kind of subscriber battling.
    I just had a conversation w/ my company's AT&T Rep. She told me they were releasing the Treo on wednsday 11/20 for sure. She did not have any price points, but that was due to the possibilities of our corp discount. She was not that knowledgable on the other issues but did give me a contact in the IT dept.
    I did get into if the Treo has true push technology and she tried to get me to consider a blackberry. Ther was also mention of a Visto soft ware program or server that would provide corp e-mail just like the enterprise.