1.    #1  
    My camera used CF cards ... when I'm on the road, any inexpensive solution to allow the SD slot on my Treo600 read directly the CF card images?

David
    There are several, but most of them are too big to form-fit into the CF slot... they stick out, and the SD card sticks out of them.

The only one that seems to be small enough to fit in an enclosed CF type I slot is the Minolta SD-CF1. It's 51.35+tax+shipping at buy.com, and they claim to have it in stock. In fact, I just got finished ordering one.

I'll let you know how it is. I have a Canon Elph Powershot S200.

Of course, I don't have a Treo 600 yet, because of the GSM delay.....
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by metsfan
    There are several, but most of them are too big to form-fit into the CF slot... they stick out, and the SD card sticks out of them.

The only one that seems to be small enough to fit in an enclosed CF type I slot is the Minolta SD-CF1. It's 51.35+tax+shipping at buy.com, and they claim to have it in stock. In fact, I just got finished ordering one.
    Ok, I think we're backwards ... It sounds like this is a CF Card that allows a CF slot to use the SD card. I need the other way around ... If I take pictures on my digital camera which uses CF, I would like to use the SD slot to read them so I can bring them into my Treo for transmission.

David
    Originally posted by idfdavid

Ok, I think we're backwards ... It sounds like this is a CF Card that allows a CF slot to use the SD card. I need the other way around ... If I take pictures on my digital camera which uses CF, I would like to use the SD slot to read them so I can bring them into my Treo for transmission.

David
    Oh yeah. We are. I was in the same situation, but decided to get an SD card and this adapter, and just scrap the CF card I have. Basically, I'll leave this in the camera all the time and then pull the SD card out of it when I want to use them in the Treo.

I don't know if there's an adapter to read CF cards in an SD slot.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by metsfan

Oh yeah. We are. I was in the same situation, but decided to get an SD card and this adapter, and just scrap the CF card I have. Basically, I'll leave this in the camera all the time and then pull the SD card out of it when I want to use them in the Treo.

I don't know if there's an adapter to read CF cards in an SD slot.
    Yep ... I guess I could do what you are suggesting, but that would loose all of my CF cards I have now that I use ... I'll have to figure if it is worth it to go the way you are ... please post back or send private email after you get the Minolta to let us know how it worked.

David
    I do not know if there is an adapter, but an adapter is really not necessary. Just transfer your pictures from the camera to your desktop and then move them to the TREO PICTURES folder. Next time you hot sync they will be on your treo in the pictures section. From there you can save them to the SD card on your treo, e mail them if you have snapper mail and even upload them to the sprint picturs site. Pretty cool...
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by mlrubinstein
    I do not know if there is an adapter, but an adapter is really not necessary. Just transfer your pictures from the camera to your desktop and then move them to the TREO PICTURES folder. Next time you hot sync they will be on your treo in the pictures section. From there you can save them to the SD card on your treo, e mail them if you have snapper mail and even upload them to the sprint picturs site. Pretty cool...
    I'm trying to figure a way to do this while on "the road" without involving a computer.
    I got the Minolta SD-CF1 adapter today, and it works as advertised. SD card fits all the way in, and it fits in the CF type I slot on my Powershot, and the camera accesses it just fine.

I can't really tell if there's any speed difference, and I don't think my camera could take advantage of it anyway.
    Have you been able to take pictures on your Cannon using the SD card and then viewing and emailing them on your Treo600? This would be cool! Humm..I could also read the SD card using my FireWire CF reader....

Please let me know if it works! Thanks.
    While I have not tried e mailing pictures from My Cannon, I have placed them on the SD card so it should be easay to do using snappermail.
    That is good news. I have the same camera and when I travel, I'd love to be able to email pictures from it using SnapperMail and my Treo600.

The other advantage is now I wouldn't have to buy a SDIO card reader for my desktop and can use my Lexar FireWire CF reader to read SDIO cards.

They are a bit pricey and hard to come by but I think I"ll give it a try.

Thanks for the post.
    I took this picture on my Canon camera, with the adapter, and then e-mailed it from Snappermail without using a computer.

http://www.geekandproud.net/archives/000324.php

Took a while to send, as the image was almost 1MB. Will probably take even longer on the GSM Treo instead of the Sprint one. But it worked.

(The image gets auto-resized by scripts on the server, so the one there is smaller.)

Now if only there was a program that'll let me do simple cropping of JPGs on the Palm...
    Excellent picture!

No it looks like I have a solution when I travel and don't want to bring my laptop.

The only problem is that the Minolta SD-CF1 is sold out almost everywhere. The few places that have it want >$70 shipped.

I did come across this model of SD<->CF adapter that looks almost identical and costs *much* less (About $35 shipped) but I've never heard of the company before.

Did you know about this model?http://www.mittoni.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id/1183
    Originally posted by stineb
    Did you know about this model?http://www.mittoni.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id/1183
    That model is too long (50mm) to fit in the CF slot and close the door on my camera. If you have a camera with a CF Type II slot, you can get http://www.mittoni.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id/1238 instead, and it'll fit completely in it.

I paid $60 shipped for my SD-CF1, and if I ever get my Treo 600 (Approving Credit Card now!), it will have been worth the money. It looks like I got the last one at buy.com, as it went to "On Order" shortly after mine shipped.
    Thanks for pointing that out!! The door on my Canon PowerShot S200 would not close with that adapter.

Where oh where are the Minolta SD-CF1 's hiding!
    do you necessarily need to close the door? I have an older kodak dc215 and a viewsonic tablet pc and a desktop pc all with cf readers. I also have a 256mb sd card for mp3s on my t600. would I necessarily *need* to close the door on the kodak or could it just stick out? if so, this adapter would be awesome.
    I have a Canon S-50.

Will the Minolta adapter fit completely inside?
    It should. It is the same size as a standard CF card even with the SD card inserted.
    Certain Canon cameras, like the IXUS original, require the CF door to be closed , just to power on!!!!!

You can get round this, by using a blob of blu-tack, or if desperate, a bit of chewing gum on the bit of the button/latch where the door closes!

So you might be able to get away with larger CF-SD adapters.
    I just received my Minolta SD-CF1 today.

With an SD card inserted, the adpater is the exact same size as a normal cf card. Nothing sticks out anywhere. For all intents and purposes the adapter with an SD card acts exactly like a normal cf card.

I used it in my Canon S400 (the intended purpose) and took pictures with no problem. Perfect. Used it in my CF card reader to get the pictures off, no problem. Took out the SD card and was able to access everything on the card with my Treo. Yay.

I do have one tiny complaint. You can't remove the SD card without removing the entire adpater since the SD card goes in on one side (rather than the back opposite the connector). But I can live with it!

I ordered mine at buy.com ($51 whatever...). If they are on-order, just bookmark the page and check it every couple of days. It was back in stock fairly quickly, but disappears just as fast.