1.    #1  
    maybe this has been posted but i'm on my treo right now. When I login into verichat and use aim, I can im people and they receive my messages instantly, but when they im me back, I don't get their message.
    Also what do I need to do to make sure I stay connected, so that I don't miss messages when the screen is off or I open another program. thanks
    I had the exact same problem - support@pdaapps.com was very responsive.

it turns out the problem was that Verichat currently doesn't support > 100 buddies on your buddy list. I tried my wife's account out and it worked file. I cut my buddy list down and now it works fine.

In terms of how to make sure it's running in the background, well, I'm a relatively new user and haven't figured that one out yet....
    At the risk of sounding biased, you should try Chatter. Works perfectly in the background and when off. Just a thought.

Marc
    Chatter only works with the CDMA phones though, am I right? It doesn't work with the GSM / GPRS Treo if I am not mistaken.
    No, the most recent versions are CDMA/GSM. Check out www.imchatter.com

Marc
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    There are many updates to Chatter going on these days and the GSM version was recently released. There is even a Treo 600 compatible status page to help keep up with all the updates and you can actually download updates OTA to your Treo 600. Chatter is one of the best programs I have on my Treo 600 and it keeps getting better every day!

Keith
    can you guys outline the advantages/disadvantages of chatter vs. verichat. I have already paid for verichat but am not happy with how long it stays connected (green arrow) and how often I miss incoming messages. How is chatter different?
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    petesamprs,

I will try to answer your question as best as I can. While Chatter runs in the background, there are only four ways that the arrows will (under normal circumstances) be green and tie up the phone portion of the Treo 600. They are:

1. You send out an IM to someone (responding to one)
    2. You are pushed a message from the server when someone sends you one
    3. Presence information from non-AIM contacts is sent to Chatter
    4. Once every 10 minutes or so Chatter will ping the IM server

When you are actually in the Chatter application you might experience more data traffic (due to Chatter updating ALL presence information), but this to me is the bare minimum that any IM application would have to do to work properly. Plus, one of the only reasons to be in the Chatter app is to actively be chatting to someone. In addition Marc is starting to look at ways to enhance the performance (which is already great in my opinion) by working on the server and more options for the Chatter client.

Also add in over the air upgrades and tons of new features and versions coming out all the time and Chatter is an amazing product.

A while back I also made a post about why I thought Chatter was better than VeriChat (my opinion, of course) and here is what I said and a link to that thread.

Hope this is useful.
    Keith

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=41817

Let me start by saying that the following is my personal opinion of VeriChat and Chatter. I realize that some people might not agree and that is fine. I am a Chatter user on the Treo 600 and I have previously used VeriChat on my old Treo 300. Here are a few of the differences that I have discovered:

1. You are correct in stating that the one-time fee is much more attractive than the annual subscription to VeriChat. But beyond that...

2. For one, Marc is one of the truly GREAT guys on this forum. His dedication to Chatter and responding to user problems as quickly as possible is unsurpassed by any product or company that I have purchased software from for the PalmOS. (even PDAApps)

3. VeriChat seemed to be very clunky to me in its operation. You would receive a message via SMS but have to enter the full VeriChat program (at least on the Treo 300) to respond. If you were in a full-out chat and trying to do other stuff on the palm this got old REAL fast.

4. Perhaps one of the best reasons is that Chatter is tailor made for the Treo 600. There are special features (some even added one day before official release) that are available only on the Treo 600 and only in Chatter. Some examples would be the use of the Treo 600 "*" notification system for missed popup messages, full 5-way navigation support, etc.

I used VeriChat for about a month and I have been using Chatter for almost 9 months (for most of the beta) and I would not trade it for anything. It performs exactly the way that I had envisioned VeriChat would and Marc has been quick to respond to any problems and in fact he has been willing to add in cool features that have been suggested by users.
    Keith,
    Thanks for your response - but it barely addresses the technical differences between these two products in terms of how they are different from each other and what makes one better than the other. Sure Chatter might be less clunky and better integrated - but what makes it really stand out in terms of messaging? It seems that I just have to try it (installing now)...

thanks again...
    pete -

How long the "green arrows stay on" depends on whether you're using Chatter or Verichat "in the foreground" or "in the background". Both use far less data in the background (meaning that another program is running with the IM programs doing their thing behind the scenes.

Marc
    marc,
    that makes sense - i guess it's true in either case so there really isn't much difference between teh two products with regard to this...

starting to use chatter now - i'll come back if i have additional questions

thanks...
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Sorry I did not address the technical aspects of your question. Marc is definitely the one to ask about for that. hopefully the trial will be the best quantifier of if Chatter is for you or not.

Keith
    I recently switched to Chatter and purchased it. I also have and ocasionally use Verichat. Both work well. Chatter made me read the manual, which is a rare event. After reading the manual and playing, I quickly became comfortable with it. The idea of not having a buddy list versus just a list is neat - no need to worry which service is being used and frankly, once I became familiar with it, it really is easier to get around with than Verichat.

Verichat has a feature that Marc has stated he will incorporate - the "pounce" feature which provides an alert stating a specific user has come on line. Marc is also upgrading his product and is very fast to respond.

So, my choice is Chatter.

Ben

------------

Originally posted by petesamprs
    Keith,
    Thanks for your response - but it barely addresses the technical differences between these two products in terms of how they are different from each other and what makes one better than the other. Sure Chatter might be less clunky and better integrated - but what makes it really stand out in terms of messaging? It seems that I just have to try it (installing now)...

thanks again...
    has anybody tried TipicMe Pro on the T600? It worked well on my T|T over BT