Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
Results 161 to 180 of 180
  1. #161  
    Originally posted by zipmitz


    Speculation? Not wild speculation. The process of elimination leaves my suppositions as the most sensible explanation of what's gone on. As to HS people knowing, my sense is that a small group knows and that the soldiers are probably as in the dark as you and I.
    Whatever. I wouldn't lose sleep over this if I was you.

    Those of us with Treo 600s have a phone that works TODAY. If Handspring goes belly-up, someone else will step in.
  2. #162  
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra


    Amazon has stock again, just like I'd originally expected. I ordered November 25 and according to their tracking info, my phone was just sent out today.

    Maybe the delay will be a good thing - Revision D phones, anyone?

    - Rattle-free
    - Fixed camera
    - Fixed speaker

    Early adopters always get screwed...


    Well, it came yesterday and I spent several hours trying out differents apps on my new Treo. Unfortunately, a lot of my old apps are now broken with PalmOS 5. The price of being on the cutting edge, I suppose.

    Amazon's units are still hardware revision C/software 1.0 SPR and the camera is little more than a toy, but so far so good. But whatever Palm releases next, they absolutely need to dump the external antenna. The Treo 600 form factor would actually be more or less perfect without the antenna.

    I'll probably activate it on the weekend when I have time to deal with Sprint's Customer Abuse Department.
  3. #163  
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra


    The SE P900 is pretty slick and would be even slicker if it has a snap-on Treo 600-style keyboard. (Option from Sony Ericsson? Who knows, maybe we'll see this in 2004.) Only problem is it doesn't run PalmOS. That's the deal-breaker for me.

    Sony Ericsson: Do the right thing and license the bloody Handspring phone OS already!
    The mindless repetition of people that the P900 is hobbled by the lack of a Treo style keyboard is misleading.

    I have BOTH phones and have for a while.

    And I swear to all REASONABLE people that the P900 is quicker for two handed data entry and just as fast one handed as the Treo 600.

    The Treo keyboard is CRAMPED and anyone who says that its not a problem is simply dishonest.

    It affects input. Using the P900 with T9 or the virtual keyboard with ezitap blows the doors off of two handed Treo data input.

    That is a FACT.
  4. #164  
    Originally posted by zipmitz


    The mindless repetition of people that the P900 is hobbled by the lack of a Treo style keyboard is misleading.

    I have BOTH phones and have for a while.

    And I swear to all REASONABLE people that the P900 is quicker for two handed data entry and just as fast one handed as the Treo 600.

    The Treo keyboard is CRAMPED and anyone who says that its not a problem is simply dishonest.

    It affects input. Using the P900 with T9 or the virtual keyboard with ezitap blows the doors off of two handed Treo data input.

    That is a FACT.
    Or the exact opposite of Fact. I'd go with the opposite there. Let's see your Fitaly score -- http://www.fitaly.com/domperignon/domperignon3.htm

    I see no T-9 scores there. Ezitap seems to require you to learn shortcuts like cul8ter or load a dictionary. I don't want to take up my memory with a billion word dictionary and if I did, then why couldn't I use the same thing with the Treo and even type faster.
  5. #165  
    Originally posted by zipmitz


    The mindless repetition of people that the P900 is hobbled by the lack of a Treo style keyboard is misleading.

    I have BOTH phones and have for a while.

    And I swear to all REASONABLE people that the P900 is quicker for two handed data entry and just as fast one handed as the Treo 600.

    The Treo keyboard is CRAMPED and anyone who says that its not a problem is simply dishonest.

    It affects input. Using the P900 with T9 or the virtual keyboard with ezitap blows the doors off of two handed Treo data input.

    That is a FACT.
    No, it's not fact. It's your opinion, but you're entitled to be wrong. I have also used both and find the Treo 600 to be a better solution. I even have the old PalmOS version of T9 and used it for a while a few years ago. T9 sucked then and it sucks now. After using Graffiti for seven years, it took less than 30 minutes to get used to the Treo 600 keyboard. I would now never go back to any PDA without a keyboard.
    If you have unusually large (ape-like?) hands, poor eyesight, or very limited manual dexterity, perhaps T9-style entry is a better option. For the rest of us (humans) the Treo 600-style keyboard makes more sense. That is a FACT*.



    *Actually, it's just an opinion almost as bombastic as yours.
  6. #166  
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra
    I'll probably activate it on the weekend when I have time to deal with Sprint's Customer Abuse Department.

    Why does Sprint have such pathetic customer service? I tried to activate my Treo 600 and not one but two different reps insisted that the price for Vision was $30/month. (Actually, that's the price for a PocketPC smartphone.) I gave up and went to a nearby Sprint Store and the people there were equally as incompetent. Got the phone back and everything was ok except fot the small matter that they had somehow forgotten to do that final step where they actually ACTIVATE the number. Thanks guys. Not to mention the little matter of Vision provisioning being dead in the water, supposedly for "24 - 48 hours". (Someone here posted that the real reason is Sprint's foreign provisioning provider went bankrupt and Sprint is incapable of taking up the slack right now.) Thanks again, Sprint. If Amazon.com offered the GSM phone for $200 off and AT&T had unlimited wireless for $15/month, I would return the phone in an instant.
  7. #167  
    I vote for both the Treo 600 and the SE P900 sucking in terms of data input. I, too, want a thumbboard, but I want a decent one. IMO, the Treo 300's was too small and the Treo 600's is only worse. Frankly, I'm tempted by the latest deals on the Danger Hiptop/Sidekick (you make $30 after all the rebates are done). But then I remember that there's still no Outlook sync and the combination of poor RF performance and T-Mobile (which is nonexistent in my area) is a bad idea for me. So, I wait for someone to put all of the pieces together the right way. The sad thing is that the holdup isn't because the technology required isn't "ready" yet. It's been ready for over a year.

    Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  8. #168  
    Originally posted by Scott R
    I vote for both the Treo 600 and the SE P900 sucking in terms of data input. I, too, want a thumbboard, but I want a decent one. IMO, the Treo 300's was too small and the Treo 600's is only worse. Frankly, I'm tempted by the latest deals on the Danger Hiptop/Sidekick (you make $30 after all the rebates are done). But then I remember that there's still no Outlook sync and the combination of poor RF performance and T-Mobile (which is nonexistent in my area) is a bad idea for me. So, I wait for someone to put all of the pieces together the right way. The sad thing is that the holdup isn't because the technology required isn't "ready" yet. It's been ready for over a year.

    Scott
    I think once you accept the fact that most people want their phones to be as small as possible, you begin to see what a good compromise the Treo 600 is. Danger's products are too big, have horrible phone capabilities and lack diversity in terms of software. They probably won't be able to give these things away in 2004...

    Come on now - with a Treo 600 you can be on the road and have access to voice, email, Internet, control your desktop, take photos, listen to MP3s, run business software, etc. All in a package the size of a regular cell phone. For a lot of us, the technology is ready. We're using it every day.
  9. #169  
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra



    Why does Sprint have such pathetic customer service? I tried to activate my Treo 600 and not one but two different reps insisted that the price for Vision was $30/month. (Actually, that's the price for a PocketPC smartphone.) I gave up and went to a nearby Sprint Store and the people there were equally as incompetent. Got the phone back and everything was ok except fot the small matter that they had somehow forgotten to do that final step where they actually ACTIVATE the number. Thanks guys. Not to mention the little matter of Vision provisioning being dead in the water, supposedly for "24 - 48 hours". (Someone here posted that the real reason is Sprint's foreign provisioning provider went bankrupt and Sprint is incapable of taking up the slack right now.) Thanks again, Sprint. If Amazon.com offered the GSM phone for $200 off and AT&T had unlimited wireless for $15/month, I would return the phone in an instant.
    The latest in the Sprint Adventure: I turned the phone on Friday morning and was greeted by the flashing alert. Received a message from Super Smart Sprint that my service was deactivated for failure to pay a bill. Interesting. ESPECIALLY SINCE I JUST ACTIVATED THE PHONE LESS THAN A WEEK AGO. Thanks again, Sprint. More calls to these yokels and eventually they figure out that they changed my account number after they realized they had originally forgotten to register my business account number. They then somehow had charged my account almost $200 for an unknown reason. Thanks again, Sprint.
    Last edited by The Chupacabra; 12/20/2003 at 11:57 AM.
  10. #170  
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra
    Thanks again, Sprint.
    I just got off the phone with Sprint -- they say you're welcome.
  11. #171  
    Originally posted by snerdy

    I just got off the phone with Sprint -- they say you're welcome.

    You're such a little Sprint*, snerdy!


    (* the worst insult you can imagine)
  12. #172  
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra



    Well, it came yesterday and I spent several hours trying out differents apps on my new Treo. Unfortunately, a lot of my old apps are now broken with PalmOS 5. The price of being on the cutting edge, I suppose.

    Amazon's units are still hardware revision C/software 1.0 SPR and the camera is little more than a toy, but so far so good. But whatever Palm releases next, they absolutely need to dump the external antenna. The Treo 600 form factor would actually be more or less perfect without the antenna.

    I'll probably activate it on the weekend when I have time to deal with Sprint's Customer Abuse Department.
    By the way, your point that PalmOS 5 makes many of your legacy PalmOS apps dead makes the P900 even more attractive, since the cost of compromise goes down.

    FWIW, one of the few things I actually like about the Treo 600 is the external antenna. I keep the lesser used Treo 600 in my inside pocket of my suit jacket and it's easier to pick it out by the antenna.
  13. #173  
    Originally posted by bmacfarland


    Or the exact opposite of Fact. I'd go with the opposite there. Let's see your Fitaly score -- http://www.fitaly.com/domperignon/domperignon3.htm

    I see no T-9 scores there. Ezitap seems to require you to learn shortcuts like cul8ter or load a dictionary. I don't want to take up my memory with a billion word dictionary and if I did, then why couldn't I use the same thing with the Treo and even type faster.
    WRONG.

    Ezitap, with the P900 built in virtual keyboard app presents completed FULL PROPERLY SPELLED words to choose from after a couple of letter entries and changes options as you enter more letters. Most words can be entered after three keystrokes. I would guess that the average word entered letter for letter on your Treo is far more than three letters.
  14. #174  
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra


    No, it's not fact. It's your opinion, but you're entitled to be wrong. I have also used both and find the Treo 600 to be a better solution. I even have the old PalmOS version of T9 and used it for a while a few years ago. T9 sucked then and it sucks now. After using Graffiti for seven years, it took less than 30 minutes to get used to the Treo 600 keyboard. I would now never go back to any PDA without a keyboard.
    If you have unusually large (ape-like?) hands, poor eyesight, or very limited manual dexterity, perhaps T9-style entry is a better option. For the rest of us (humans) the Treo 600-style keyboard makes more sense. That is a FACT*.



    *Actually, it's just an opinion almost as bombastic as yours.
    You are simply wrong. I use T9 for short SMS text messages. T9 doesn't suck, unless you can't figure it out? Is your smart phone smarter than you are?

    Graffitti is not the comparison. The comparison is the braille style keyboard of the Treo 600, used with two hands for extended data entry like most people use it, and a virtual keyboard with a compact little program called Ezitap.

    You haven't made that comparison in real time. I have.

    One of us has the perspective to honestly judge. The other one just loves his toys and throws rocks at adults who criticize it.
  15. #175  
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra


    I think once you accept the fact that most people want their phones to be as small as possible, you begin to see what a good compromise the Treo 600 is. Danger's products are too big, have horrible phone capabilities and lack diversity in terms of software. They probably won't be able to give these things away in 2004...

    Come on now - with a Treo 600 you can be on the road and have access to voice, email, Internet, control your desktop, take photos, listen to MP3s, run business software, etc. All in a package the size of a regular cell phone. For a lot of us, the technology is ready. We're using it every day.
    Yes. And when I am on the road, driving in my car, I have my P900 in my briefcase and my bluetooth SonyEriccson wireless earbud in my ear. I use the combination of bluetooth and voice control to safely conduct my business without a care in the world

    When I get to my hotel, I open up my bluetooth notebook and have ample access to the net via my bluetooth P900 and my unlimited T-Mo data plan.

    You are right. The technology is there. But it is NOT close to being in a Treo.
  16. #176  
    Originally posted by zipmitz


    By the way, your point that PalmOS 5 makes many of your legacy PalmOS apps dead makes the P900 even more attractive, since the cost of compromise goes down.

    FWIW, one of the few things I actually like about the Treo 600 is the external antenna. I keep the lesser used Treo 600 in my inside pocket of my suit jacket and it's easier to pick it out by the antenna.

    Many of the broken apps were either very esoteric (and therefore would never be available for Symbian) or have already been updated (like DateBk3). For me, the issue isn't so much the cost of updating apps, but rather having access to well-designed, fast, stable apps that simply do what I want them to do. For new users with no history with Palm, Palm's current software advantage is much less important.

    Again showing that we're all different, in your OPINION, the external antenna is a good thing. I, on the other hand feel the antenna is the biggest annoyance on the Treo 600. Which of us is right? In my opinion, I am.
  17. #177  
    Originally posted by zipmitz


    You are simply wrong. I use T9 for short SMS text messages. T9 doesn't suck, unless you can't figure it out? Is your smart phone smarter than you are?

    Graffitti is not the comparison. The comparison is the braille style keyboard of the Treo 600, used with two hands for extended data entry like most people use it, and a virtual keyboard with a compact little program called Ezitap.

    You haven't made that comparison in real time. I have.

    One of us has the perspective to honestly judge. The other one just loves his toys and throws rocks at adults who criticize it.

    T9 sucks - my opinion
    T9 doesnt suck - your opinion

    Treo 600 keyboard is great - my opinion
    Treo 600 "braille style" keyboard is not great - your opinion

    No, I haven't directly compared Ezitap to Treo 600. But if the P900 was running PalmOS, I'd take a serious look.
  18. #178  
    Originally posted by zipmitz


    Yes. And when I am on the road, driving in my car, I have my P900 in my briefcase and my bluetooth SonyEriccson wireless earbud in my ear. I use the combination of bluetooth and voice control to safely conduct my business without a care in the world

    When I get to my hotel, I open up my bluetooth notebook and have ample access to the net via my bluetooth P900 and my unlimited T-Mo data plan.

    You are right. The technology is there. But it is NOT close to being in a Treo.

    Are you trying to say the Treo 600 is missing Bluetooth?


  19. #179  
    Originally posted by purpleZ
    No trade in or other games require. Finally an intelligent price. The early adopters aren't going to be happy!


    (As told to me by a little bird at Sprint.)

    Wherefore art thou, purpleZ?

    Sure I got a $300 Amazon.com Treo 600, but Sprint is still selling their version for twice that price.

    New rumor: $299 Treo 600 from Sprint starting December 1, 2004.


  20. #180  
    So what's going to happen now that the 610 will be out in a few weeks? Any Sprint employees have details on 600 price cuts? Thanks.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Posting Permissions