Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    I ordered on Nov 30 - and my original delivery date was expected to be Jan 8-Jan 28, 2004.

Thus my surprise.

I think these guys just got a whooole bunch of Treos in.
    Originally posted by macfreak
    I ordered on Nov 30 - and my original delivery date was expected to be Jan 8-Jan 28, 2004.

Thus my surprise.

Amazon has stock again, just like I'd originally expected. I ordered November 25 and according to their tracking info, my phone was just sent out today.

Maybe the delay will be a good thing - Revision D phones, anyone?

- Rattle-free
    - Fixed camera
    - Fixed speaker

Early adopters always get screwed...

Last edited by The Chupacabra; 12/05/2003 at 11:12 PM.
    For me I think buying it in the store was the better way to go. I got mine today. No waiting of any kind. When I paid I had it in my hand. Plus I don't want or need a new Sprint plan. So none of Amazon's/Sprint's rebates do a thing for me. Over time the new Sprint plans would cost me far more than buying a new Treo 600 in the store with my current plan.

Also, the Best Buy replacement plan allows me to use the cost of the purchase towards a different device should I want to replace my Treo 600 with something different in the next 3 years.
    How do you find out what version phone you have?
    Originally posted by darnell
    How do you find out what version phone you have?

Either dial ##786 or open up the Phone application and go to Options -> Phone Info.
    Looks like I have a Rev C.
    Looks like I have a Rev C.
    So much for my hopes for "Revision D" perfection...

Well I have no rattle. My speaker is OK for me. I don't care about the camera. I've got a real digital camera for pictures .
    Well I have no rattle. My speaker is OK for me. I don't care about the camera. I've got a real digital camera for pictures .

In other words what you're saying is... I don't need no stinkin' Revision D!
    Well if a Revision D does come out and I happen to want it, under my Best Buy replacement plan I can take mine back and get a brand new Revision D once they are available .
    Originally posted by macfreak

Thus my surprise.

What's strange is they still haven't charged my card. And the delivery date still says Jan 2, 2004 - Jan 23, 2004.

But according to Fed Ex, the package really shipped from Texas and should arrive December 10.

My advice to anyone holding off on getting a Sprint Treo 600: go for it now, before Amazon's stock mysteriously dries up again.

Handspring must be having a ton of problems getting the phone manufactured. They're probably doing "just in time" ordering so they don't end up getting stuck with a ton of unsold inventory. The only problem is they should have been prepared to flood the market with as many Treo 600s as possible right away while there's still a buzz about the phone. I think they really messed up this roll out again and Handspring will pay the price if Samsung or Sony Ericsson is able to bring out a competitive phone in January.
    I have hardware version "B".. what do you guys find is wrong with the speaker?

Should I be concerned about my speaker?
    Originally posted by buddy
    I have hardware version "B".. what do you guys find is wrong with the speaker?

Should I be concerned about my speaker?

Do a search of the Treo 600 hardware forum for the word "speaker".

Handspring concentrated so much on making a great SMARTphone that it appears they skimped on the PHONE part. I don't care since - unlike most people - I'll mainly be using the PDA, web and email parts and don't really need the phone. In fact, I'll probably keep a Sony Ericsson cell around for when I need a "real" phone.
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra

What's strange is they still haven't charged my card. And the delivery date still says Jan 2, 2004 - Jan 23, 2004.

But according to Fed Ex, the package really shipped from Texas and should arrive December 10.

My advice to anyone holding off on getting a Sprint Treo 600: go for it now, before Amazon's stock mysteriously dries up again.

Handspring must be having a ton of problems getting the phone manufactured. They're probably doing "just in time" ordering so they don't end up getting stuck with a ton of unsold inventory. The only problem is they should have been prepared to flood the market with as many Treo 600s as possible right away while there's still a buzz about the phone. I think they really messed up this roll out again and Handspring will pay the price if Samsung or Sony Ericsson is able to bring out a competitive phone in January.
    It seems most likely that HS is placing orders not for just in time purposes but because their supplier has them on a short string due to their financial condition.

That's probably one of the biggest reasons for all their troubles with the GSM release. It's also probably one of the reasons for all of their quality control issues.

My sense is their production runs are a product of (a) payment terms and (b) maximimzing production runs for unit cost control purposes.

I have to tell you, the Amazon deal is good, but, in my view, the Best Buy deal is better. If you work them, you can get a larger discount than the $50 they are offering together with the same $150 sprint rebate. What's more, they can give you the Sprint rebate instantly, and history shows you can chase Amazon forever in getting paid your rebates weeks or MONTHS later.

Finally, no one can top the Best Buy guarantee package which is very cheap and always works.

Indeed, you can also marry the Treo deal to a second new phone deal. I know for a fact that you can get a free Sanyo 8100 PCS Vision Phone worth $200 to share minutes on your plan. Amazon isn't set up to do such things.
    Originally posted by zipmitz

It seems most likely that HS is placing orders not for just in time purposes but because their supplier has them on a short string due to their financial condition.

That's probably one of the biggest reasons for all their troubles with the GSM release. It's also probably one of the reasons for all of their quality control issues.

My sense is their production runs are a product of (a) payment terms and (b) maximimzing production runs for unit cost control purposes.

I have to tell you, the Amazon deal is good, but, in my view, the Best Buy deal is better. If you work them, you can get a larger discount than the $50 they are offering together with the same $150 sprint rebate. What's more, they can give you the Sprint rebate instantly, and history shows you can chase Amazon forever in getting paid your rebates weeks or MONTHS later.

Finally, no one can top the Best Buy guarantee package which is very cheap and always works.

Indeed, you can also marry the Treo deal to a second new phone deal. I know for a fact that you can get a free Sanyo 8100 PCS Vision Phone worth $200 to share minutes on your plan. Amazon isn't set up to do such things.
    That's a lot of speculation on your part. Yes, I agree that lack of finances is a major problem for Handspring right now and this has forced them to make several compromises that I wish they hadn't made. But the bottom line is that only those working at Handspring know the real reason they screwed up the roll out (yet again).

Since I don't need the money right away, Amazon's $200 mail-in rebate makes more sense than Best Buy's $50 instant rebate. I'll be ordering Sprint's $4/month insurance, so I don't need Best Buy's plan. (And unlike some others here, I don't feel it's right to use Best Buy's insurance as a way to upgrade the phone whenever I want.)
    Last edited by The Chupacabra; 12/09/2003 at 08:35 PM.

I think they really messed up this roll out again and Handspring will pay the price if Samsung or Sony Ericsson is able to bring out a competitive phone in January.
    Yes, Handspring tends to have a "shoot themselves in the foot" problem with gadget roll outs. However, I think they're safe from the competition. It seems that neither Samsung nor Sony can move to market quickly. particularly in the converged device space (witness the the Samsung i500 slow death roll out of over a year; and the on again - off again roll out of the Sony bluetooth phone for CDMA)

For whatever reason, particularly Samsung, the announcement and delivery of smartphones are worlds apart. I think the Treo 600 will be the last smartphone delivery we see until 2nd quarter 2004.
    The P900 which is out everywhere else in the world probably will make its January release mark and is a sick phone to boot.

That's a lot of speculation on your part. Yes, I agree that lack of finances is a major problem for Handspring right now and this has forced them to make several compromises that I wish they hadn't made. But the bottom line is that only those working at Handspring know the real reason they screwed up the roll out (yet again).

Since I don't need the money right away, Amazon's $200 mail-in rebate makes mere sense than Best Buy's $50 instant rebate. I'll be ordering Sprint's $4/month insurance, so I don't need Best Buy's plan. (And unlike some others here, I don't feel it's right to use Best Buy's insurance as a way to upgrade the phone whenever I want.)
    Speculation? Not wild speculation. The process of elimination leaves my suppositions as the most sensible explanation of what's gone on. As to HS people knowing, my sense is that a small group knows and that the soldiers are probably as in the dark as you and I.
    Originally posted by dstrauss

Yes, Handspring tends to have a "shoot themselves in the foot" problem with gadget roll outs. However, I think they're safe from the competition. It seems that neither Samsung nor Sony can move to market quickly. particularly in the converged device space (witness the the Samsung i500 slow death roll out of over a year; and the on again - off again roll out of the Sony bluetooth phone for CDMA)

For whatever reason, particularly Samsung, the announcement and delivery of smartphones are worlds apart. I think the Treo 600 will be the last smartphone delivery we see until 2nd quarter 2004.
    I'm not too sure you're right. Samsung supposedly has it's I500 follow up ready for release now. God only knows why it's not out yet. I read recently that it might be released in Europe in the 1st quarter of 2004. Then again Samsung's history with releasing PDA-phones on time has been less than impressive.
    Originally posted by Sidehatch
    The P900 which is out everywhere else in the world probably will make its January release mark and is a sick phone to boot.
    The SE P900 is pretty slick and would be even slicker if it has a snap-on Treo 600-style keyboard. (Option from Sony Ericsson? Who knows, maybe we'll see this in 2004.) Only problem is it doesn't run PalmOS. That's the deal-breaker for me.

Sony Ericsson: Do the right thing and license the bloody Handspring phone OS already!
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast