Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    OK, so it's Dec 1. Where's the $299 offer?
    I don't believe the year was meant to be taken seriously.
    Yeah, looks like my 'loyal customer' discount of $150 pales in comparison to this. It's amazing how much we get screwed by these companies. If Amazon can give a $200 discount, Sprint could have found a way to give me more that $150 (mail-in pain in the *** rebate, BTW). So much for being a good customer since 1999.
    as promised!

So where is the $299...no games...no rebates...plunk it on the counter and walk out for $299.

NOT!

That said...the games are lessening...Best Buy had a Sprint instant rebate which I would count as NO GAME...but that $150 took the price at the counter to about $350.

Peace.
    Hey with each passing day the chances of the price going lower increases . But those who said they heard from someone within Sprint that the price would drop today have lost all their credibility.

That $150 Sprint instant rebate at Best Buy is not good enough for me. Since it requires a new plan be activated. I've got a great plan now. And Sprint just sent me yet another flyer saying they will give me 5% off my current plan if I choose to stick with Sprint on my current plan for another year.

I want the phone at a discount with no strings attached. No new account activation required. I'll wait and see if the price on Amazon.com drops for people not getting new activation tomorrow since their current rebate ends today. If not, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and head to Best Buy and see if I can get a good deal there.
    Originally posted by hanarra
    Yeah, looks like my 'loyal customer' discount of $150 pales in comparison to this. It's amazing how much we get screwed by these companies. If Amazon can give a $200 discount, Sprint could have found a way to give me more that $150 (mail-in pain in the *** rebate, BTW). So much for being a good customer since 1999.

Looks like Sprint dropped the ball on this one. December 1 came and went with NO $299 Sprint Treo 600!

Even worse, Amazon.com is now playing games with it's Treo 600 offer - they don't have any stock and apparently won't have them until January.
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra

The phones cost Handspring more than $100 - 150 each.
    I was talking about the wholesale cost a carrier pays Handspring for one unit. These phones, wholesale, most likely cost $100 - $150.

Which means...

... Handspring or an independent retail chain can feasibly sell the phone for $300 (heck, they can go all the way down to $150 if they don't want to make a profit on the sale)

... a carrier with a $150 rebate CANNOT feasibly sell the phone for $300

Sprint will need to drop prices to be able to compete - that's the reality of number portability. Amazon.com's $250 Treo 600 is just the start. I wouldn't bash others so aggressively if I was you, madam. They're probably right. And if I was a Sprint upgrade customer, I WOULD be pissed off seeing Amazon.com's offer.
    There was no difference in price between the Amazon and the Handspring/SprintPCS upgrade offer price. See math from earlier post.
    Originally posted by bling bling
    ... Handspring or an independent retail chain can feasibly sell the phone for $300 (heck, they can go all the way down to $150 if they don't want to make a profit on the sale)

I don't think I follow your math.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Originally posted by bling bling

I was talking about the wholesale cost a carrier pays Handspring for one unit. These phones, wholesale, most likely cost $100 - $150.

Which means...

There was no difference in price between the Amazon and the Handspring/SprintPCS upgrade offer price. See math from earlier post.

First of all, from what I know about the costs of manufacturing Palms, the wholesale cost of a Treo 600 is a lot more than $100.

Secondly, carriers can easily sell the Treo 600 for $300. It all boils down to how much profit they're willing to sacrifice up front to get or keep customers.

Thirdly, the Amazon price is a better deal than the upgrade offer, with free shipping, no upgrade necessary and it's still available.

You should read the posts yourself if you disagree.
  10. NBP
    I was exchanging a T300 under a PSP at Best Buy. They didn't want to upgrade me to a T600 b/c of the price differential btwn the two devices. I had the store manager show me their cost for the unit on their computer systems - $426.
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra

First of all, from what I know about the costs of manufacturing Palms, the wholesale cost of a Treo 600 is a lot more than $100.

Secondly, carriers can easily sell the Treo 600 for $300. It all boils down to how much profit they're willing to sacrifice up front to get or keep customers.

Thirdly, the Amazon price is a better deal than the upgrade offer, with free shipping, no upgrade necessary and it's still available.

You should read the posts yourself if you disagree.
    Although you were 100% wrong about the $299 deal and your supposed inside information from Sprint you are correct about the Amazon deal. Bling Bling is simply trying to make himself/herself feel good about paying the amount they did. And trying to feel as if they got "the best deal". With a name like "bling bling" they should not care to debate price so much .

Bottom line is that new Sprint Treo 600 buyers that never owned a Treo before and never were customers of Sprint in their lives are getting a better deal than loyal repeat customers to Handspring/PalmOne/Sprint.
    Originally posted by NBP
    I was exchanging a T300 under a PSP at Best Buy. They didn't want to upgrade me to a T600 b/c of the price differential btwn the two devices. I had the store manager show me their cost for the unit on their computer systems - $426.
    Best Buy's "cost" price is not the same as what Sprint, Amazon, BB, etc. really pay Handspring per unit.
    Any supposed cost shown by a "store manager" has to be taken with a grain of salt. It's like buying a car the dealer showing you what they tell you is the invoice price they paid .

Different product, same games!
    Originally posted by darnell

Although you were 100% wrong about the $299 deal and your supposed inside information from Sprint you are correct about the Amazon deal. Bling Bling is simply trying to make himself/herself feel good about paying the amount they did. And trying to feel as if they got "the best deal". With a name like "bling bling" they should not care to debate price so much .

Bottom line is that new Sprint Treo 600 buyers that never owned a Treo before and never were customers of Sprint in their lives are getting a better deal than loyal repeat customers to Handspring/PalmOne/Sprint.

I think you're mixing me up with purpleZ.

I did say earlier in the thread that Sprint would be coming out with a $300 Treo 600, though. That was only after I had spoken with a Sprint CSR and asked them if they were going to match Amazon's price this month. The CSR said they would (I'd assumed he meant starting December 1st) but this was probably just more of the typical misinformation spewed by Sprint's useless customer service department.

Anyway, I don't really care right now if Sprint wakes up and reduces the price. I ordered a $300 phone from Amazon.com and hopefully they'll ship it before January.
    Any supposed cost shown by a "store manager" has to be taken with a grain of salt. It's like buying a car the dealer showing you what they tell you is the invoice price they paid .

Different product, same games!

Exactly.
    I guess I did mix your statements up a little with the Purple one's . My bad.

Talking to CSRs and sales people is like talking to used car salesmen. Different product and yet again the same games .

That's why I don't even talk to reps much anymore about anything. If I can't research it on-line in writing I don't take much stock in it. Cause if the company will not put it in writing for the world to see it's not worth a thing.

I'm just gonna buy one in a store. So I'll pay more, but I'll have it in my hands with no delay or games with delivery dates. Plus this thing is hotter than I thought it would be. I kind of miscalculated this one. But oh well, ya win some and ya lose some. My Treo 300 is just doing too bad and I'm ready to upgrade instead of getting a replacement battery.
  17. NBP
    Agreed about a retailer's "cost" and it not being the store's true cost. There are rebates and holdbacks that reduce their cost further. However, it does provide a frame of reference and I'd guess that the retailer's true cost is probably around mid-$300s.
    I guess I did mix your statements up a little with the Purple one's . My bad.

I'm just gonna buy one in a store. So I'll pay more, but I'll have it in my hands with no delay or games with delivery dates. Plus this thing is hotter than I thought it would be. I kind of miscalculated this one. But oh well, ya win some and ya lose some. My Treo 300 is just doing too bad and I'm ready to upgrade instead of getting a replacement battery.

Check out the thread about Amazon shipping dates. It looks like they're back in stock and shipping like I'd hoped! As long as they don't try to play games with the rebates, Amazon would be a better way to go if you're planning to get a Sprint Treo 600.
    mine is now showing up on fedex.com - shipped today for wednesday delivery.
    Originally posted by macfreak
    mine is now showing up on fedex.com - shipped today for wednesday delivery.

What day did you order it?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast