Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    I guess you can't read either

Originally posted by bling bling
    You were saying that early adopters would be pissed.
    Please show me where I said that? Keep your conversations straight buddy. Maybe you had that one with someone else!

Early adopters actually benefited from the Handspring offer.
    Remains to be seen! Many don't even have theirs yet, while Amazon.com ships in 24 hours! That extra 99 cents might be worth the faster delivery .

You prove my point inexplicitly: those who wait wound up paying a higher price for their Treo 600 from Sprint.
    No, those who buy from Amazon.com get their Treo 600 faster and pay about the same price.

The lowest price anyone can get from Sprint PCS directly now is $449.99 with the $150 2 yr contract rebate. If you buy from Amazon, you get the same price as the Treo upgrade offer from Handspring.
    And you get it faster. So the Amazon.com deal is better. 24 hour delivery!

There is no way that Sprint PCS is going to lower the start price of the phone to $300, which is what this thread implies.
    Hey who knows. I'm in no rush.

They *may* after the rebate offers expire NEXT YEAR.
    They may this year, who knows. Did you start working for Sprint?

Sprint PCS doesn't lower phone prices until the new version of the phone comes out, and only if they have a significant inventory of the phone left with low demand for it.
    Remains to be seen.
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra

Thanks for the info. Makes me wonder how much the wholesale price of the Treo 600 is to big companies like Amazon.com.

I bet it's way under $300.
    It's probably $100 - $150 depending on how many units they purchased for resale.

Which is why you will not see a $300 retail price Treo 600 as long as these $150 rebates are around -- because the only company that gets any margin from the unit sale is Handspring/PalmOne. The carrier won't get anything except from phone contract lock-in, which is offset by cost of network. The retailer won't get anything, because he's not making any money above the wholesale price.

Handspring/PalmOne may offer a $300 unit at some point late next year, but they have no plans to within the next 6 months.

So yeah, if you want to wait until next year, you can get a $300 unit, no contract. But December 1? That would be the most ridiculous business move known to mankind... lowering price when there is such a high demand!
    Originally posted by darnell

Please show me where I said that? Keep your conversations straight buddy. Maybe you had that one with someone else!
    I apologize -- I thought it was you who said early adopters would be pissed. Early adopters have no reason to be upset in regards to pricing.

The point of this thread is to make people think they are going to be stupid if they buy their phone now, when the opposite is true.

Remains to be seen! Many don't even have theirs yet, while Amazon.com ships in 24 hours! That extra 99 cents might be worth the faster delivery .
    Excuse me, I've had my phone for weeks, so I don't see where you are getting this "faster delivery" thing.

No, those who buy from Amazon.com get their Treo 600 faster and pay about the same price.
    This point is moot, because those who ordered back in October already have their phones, when the retail channel (Amazon) didn't have any to sell you. It's no comparison.

And you get it faster. So the Amazon.com deal is better. 24 hour delivery!
    No, not 24 hour delivery. It will be ready to ship in 24 hours. You only get overnight delivery if you pay for it.

They may this year, who knows. Did you start working for Sprint?
    Unless Sprint PCS did something utterly stupid and super duper over-estimated demand for this unit by 100000x (which they don't, btw), there is no way you are going to see a $300 price point for this phone from them.

The only reason to lower the price is to work off a HUGE amount of excess inventory. Maybe you haven't noticed, but there is no excess Sprint PCS inventory of this unit right now.

Remains to be seen.
    Checked the price of a Treo 300 on SprintPCS.com lately?
    Bling Bling, if the price does drop in December than the person who started this post was simply stating a fact. Given that number line portability is about to start and a new month is on the way anything might happen in regards to price changes. Unless you are on the Sprint or Handspring board of directors you are going to have to wait and see with the rest of us.

The starter of the post never said anything against early adopters. That came from a later poster.

(My bad I just checked, the starter of this thread did say something about early adopters. Well we will see if it was just to tick some folks off or a fact.)
    Okay darnell, can you explain to me why a company would sell a unit for less than they bought the unit for at wholesale and lose all associated costs for fulfilling that unit to the customer, resulting in a NEGATIVE margin for the unit?
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    $249 at amazon, see This Thread
    Originally posted by bibojim
    $249 at amazon, see This Thread
    This is incredible. I have a Cingular (for T-mobile sim) on order for $419.00 w/ shipping.

Amazon.com is $250 w/free shipping. I might go for it. The only thing I don't like about sprint is that the phone wil not work outside the U.S. It will not even work in Canada at all.

Got 2 days to decide. Also need to check if I can port my T-mobile number over to Sprint.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Originally posted by Scott R
    I don't know if Sprint stores will drop the price to $300, but I'd definitely be willing to bet that it will drop to $300 (who knows, maybe even lower) through Amazon. As a consumer I don't really care who I buy it from. Consider this...Right now Amazon is selling the phone for $600 - $200 rebate for signing a minimum one-year contract. Guess when you have to purchase it by in order to get that deal? November 25th - one day after number portability goes into effect.

Do you think there will be a new rebate offer starting on the 26th? Do you think it could be an even better offer? I do.
    I love being right.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Do yourself a favor and don't sign a two year agreement just to save the extra $50. You can get this phone for $300 from Amazon (after rebates) with just a one-year agreement.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Well Scott R although some don't understand it, it's only gonna get better .

It's probably $100 - $150 depending on how many units they purchased for resale.

Which is why you will not see a $300 retail price Treo 600 as long as these $150 rebates are around -- because the only company that gets any margin from the unit sale is Handspring/PalmOne. The carrier won't get anything except from phone contract lock-in, which is offset by cost of network. The retailer won't get anything, because he's not making any money above the wholesale price.

Handspring/PalmOne may offer a $300 unit at some point late next year, but they have no plans to within the next 6 months.

So yeah, if you want to wait until next year, you can get a $300 unit, no contract. But December 1? That would be the most ridiculous business move known to mankind... lowering price when there is such a high demand!

The phones cost Handspring more than $100 - 150 each.

Sprint will need to drop prices to be able to compete - that's the reality of number portability. Amazon.com's $250 Treo 600 is just the start. I wouldn't bash others so aggressively if I was you, madam. They're probably right. And if I was a Sprint upgrade customer, I WOULD be pissed off seeing Amazon.com's offer.
    Okay darnell, can you explain to me why a company would sell a unit for less than they bought the unit for at wholesale and lose all associated costs for fulfilling that unit to the customer, resulting in a NEGATIVE margin for the unit?
    Sprint needs to grab and keep as many users as they can get. I think they're using their advantage with the Treo 600 to siphon off a few former GSM users that don't want to wait for GSM Treo 600s.

Wireless carriers spend a lot of money to hook subscribers because once you sign up, at least there's a good chance you'll stay with them and keep their profits going. Sacrificing profits on the sale of a phone makes a lot of sense if you're thinking long term like these carriers do.
    I hereby throw in my $5 bill that the Treo 600 price will not be dropped on Dec. 1 or anytime soon.
    Originally posted by Im So Unpopular
    I hereby throw in my $5 bill that the Treo 600 price will not be dropped on Dec. 1 or anytime soon.

I'd take that bet if I knew you'd actually pay!
    I pretty much take that $249 Amazon.com deal as proof that it already has....
    Originally posted by Scott R
    I love being right.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Do yourself a favor and don't sign a two year agreement just to save the extra $50. You can get this phone for $300 from Amazon (after rebates) with just a one-year agreement.

Scott

Hey Scott, can you tell me what next week's winning lottery numbers will be?

I had been holding off, waiting for the GSM version, but this was too good a deal to pass up. Sprint Treo 600 (delivered) with 1 year contract for less than $300. (I even had an old Amazon.com coupon that knocked a few extra dollars off the price.)

GSM's "pros" - worldwide and carrier portability, supposedly better battery life + lighter weight, warning when receiving calls when online.

CDMA's "pros" - cheap price, faster data connection, nicer color case, cheap price, wider availability, cheap price, $15 unlimited data, cheap price, cheap price, cheap price, cheap price...

Sprint is obviously getting serious about grabbing customers from GSM carriers and is using Handspring's dependence on Sprint to control the US Treo 600 rollout to Sprint's advantage. If even a few thousand GSM subscribers switch to Sprint, this marketing strategy should be considered a huge success. If AT&T, Cingular and T-Mobile don't match Sprint's pricing on unlimited wireless (GSM carriers' current data plan pricing is a joke), they're going to get destroyed by defections to Sprint over the next few months.
    One problem with the Amazon.com offer though: they're quoting a 4 - 6 week delivery time now, suggesting they sold out of their stock today.

I'll bet they get more stock quickly and actually ship within a few days.
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra
    One problem with the Amazon.com offer though: they're quoting a 4 - 6 week delivery time now, suggesting they sold out of their stock today.

I'll bet they get more stock quickly and actually ship within a few days.
    It is the standard thing with HS. They have to collect enough orders to justify another production run.
    Well Amazon.com has just extended their $200 rebate for new activations till 12/1/03. Hmmm I wonder why they picked to extend it just 6 days from the orignal cutoff date of 11/25/03? Is something special coming on 12/1/03? Still remains to be seen.

But Sprint should do something good for current Sprint customers in order to keep them around. The best deals are only for new Sprint customers right now. And the original Treo 600 upgrade did not include returning the old T300 unit.

It would make sense for Sprint to offer current Treo 300 owners a special price lower than the original upgrade deal that included shipping in your old T300.
    Originally posted by darnell
    Well Amazon.com has just extended their $200 rebate for new activations till 12/1/03. Hmmm I wonder why they picked to extend it just 6 days from the orignal cutoff date of 11/25/03? Is something special coming on 12/1/03? Still remains to be seen.

Could the title of this thread be true? Bet it is.

Sprint could get a lot of new subscribers if they start locking people in to two year contracts with ultra-cheap Treo 600s starting December 1. If Amazon is doing it for $250, maybe Sprint can top them. Do I hear $200? $200! Do I hear $150? $150! Do I hear...

GSM carriers must be nuts thinking they can compete by offering $600 phones and data plans like $20 for only a few MB. Sprint's strategy worked with me and I think a lot more people will be jumping ship to them as well.
    Originally posted by zipmitz

It is the standard thing with HS. They have to collect enough orders to justify another production run.

Zippy, enough with the doom and gloom stuff!. Zip it.

Yes we know Palm and Handspring are broke and living on borrowed time (probably waiting for a buyout by Sony early next year). Who cares? We've got a well designed - albeit poorly constructed - PDA-phone that a lot of people here like. Whether Palm is living hand to mouth doesn't change how good a device the Treo 600 is TODAY and continuous posting about their financial status really doesn't intrest anyone but the people who live under the bridge.

I expect it's about time for Frequent Visitor to pop up here with some more tedious prognostications...