Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Originally posted by Kevin25a
    Gawd, will this thread NEVER die, LOL.

It will if there's no price drop Dec 1! I'm betting a friend $5 they'll drop it, but nowhere near $300. Probably more like $400 with a 2 year contract. If I lose my bet I'm gonna have to head on over to my local Sprint Store on Dec 1 and GO POSTAL! (Not that anyone needs an excuse to go postal in a Sprint Store.)

Let's see. 11/24/03 is when phone #'s become portable, (at least for all the major markets in the US. The rural US markets will happen by 5/04 according to congressional decree). Seems like a given that all carriers will bring out their big guns then to keep their subscriber base. If Sprint doesn't offer substantial incentive then, they will lose accounts to the other carriers that are willing to take loss leaders to increase sales. You can pretty much be assured that there will be massive price wars between all carriers around 12/1 to lure new cusomers into 2 year subscriptions around that time.

If you really want a Treo 600, and have waited this long... wait until after 11/24 and see the fun begin, (and the cell companies go to war for your hard earned dollar). To get a Treo 600 at bargain prices WILL cost you a 2 year subscription, but the savings should be considerable. If you haven't purchased yet, wait a bit and reap the rewards. Makes no sense to buy now when you are virtually assured big discounts shortly after 11/24. Any carrier would like nothing more than to sell you a Treo 600 now and not have to eat a couple hundred bucks in a week to EARN your account. Think about it.

This is the fast approaching biggest cell phone war since the first wireless service began.... and this includes land lines as well since they are portable to cell service too. A really good time to be buying a cell phone if you're smart enough. In fact, get rid of your home land line and use that # on your new Treo 600 since the local telco is involved in this war too, (they have no choice...ain't it great?). Should be fun for us consumers.

Enjoy the war and play it for all it's worth. You're the winner if you're bright enough.
    JTG13,

I'd like to agree with you, but signs of an impending war are no where to be found. I'm hopeful and on the lookout, but alas, most major providers have chimed in with their holiday plans, and they are WORSE than last year for the most part. This should be the time for the lowest plans, but that is not the case. Sprint for example effectively upped the plans a bit, but are offering 7pm nights now. Not very appealing to the business customers who are the ones to really fight for (no offense meant to anyone, but they tend to have larger accounts, higher ARPUs, and sign them long contracts.)

Sprint is one of the providers considered to have the most to lose, yet they don't seem worried. Sure they might change plans midstream if things seem bad, but their current plans are dated through the beginning of January, 2004. Other providers seem to be following suit. Time will tell, and we can still hope.
    I don't know if Sprint stores will drop the price to $300, but I'd definitely be willing to bet that it will drop to $300 (who knows, maybe even lower) through Amazon. As a consumer I don't really care who I buy it from. Consider this...Right now Amazon is selling the phone for $600 - $200 rebate for signing a minimum one-year contract. Guess when you have to purchase it by in order to get that deal? November 25th - one day after number portability goes into effect.

Do you think there will be a new rebate offer starting on the 26th? Do you think it could be an even better offer? I do.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Originally posted by Scott R
    I don't know if Sprint stores will drop the price to $300, but I'd definitely be willing to bet that it will drop to $300 (who knows, maybe even lower) through Amazon. As a consumer I don't really care who I buy it from. Consider this...Right now Amazon is selling the phone for $600 - $200 rebate for signing a minimum one-year contract. Guess when you have to purchase it by in order to get that deal? November 25th - one day after number portability goes into effect.

Do you think there will be a new rebate offer starting on the 26th? Do you think it could be an even better offer? I do.

Scott

Are there any strings attached with the Amazon offer? If not, why isn't everyone using them rather than jumping through all the hoops trying to get a cheaper Treo 600 from Handspring, Sprint, etc.?
    Originally posted by The Chupacabra
    Are there any strings attached with the Amazon offer? If not, why isn't everyone using them rather than jumping through all the hoops trying to get a cheaper Treo 600 from Handspring, Sprint, etc.?
    Yes. In order to get the $200 rebate, you have to open up a new line of service with a one-year commitment.

Scott
    Yes. In order to get the $200 rebate, you have to open up a new line of service with a one-year commitment.

Scott
    Thanks for the info. Makes me wonder how much the wholesale price of the Treo 600 is to big companies like Amazon.com.

I bet it's way under $300.
    Thanks for the info. Makes me wonder how much the wholesale price of the Treo 600 is to big companies like Amazon.com.

I bet it's way under $300.
    I'm not sure how much Amazon pays for them, but if they're requiring you to open up a line of service in order to get the "Amazon" rebate, I'd imagine that Amazon gets a kick-back from T-Mobile/AT&T/Sprint after they've verified that you're an active customer. So, Amazon's probably paying X dollars now, and then getting Y dollars back afterwards.

Scott
    I'm not sure how much Amazon pays for them, but if they're requiring you to open up a line of service in order to get the "Amazon" rebate, I'd imagine that Amazon gets a kick-back from T-Mobile/AT&T/Sprint after they've verified that you're an active customer. So, Amazon's probably paying X dollars now, and then getting Y dollars back afterwards.

Scott

When you say "open up a line of service", are you referring to a one year phone contract?
    When you say "open up a line of service", are you referring to a one year phone contract?
    Yes, but I think it's more than that. I think you have to open up a new line of service with a one-year contract. IOW, if you already have a Sprint phone, even if you've fulfilled your current contract, I don't think you can buy this phone, transfer your existing number to it, and get the Amazon rebate.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Scott
    Maybe once Number Line Portability goes into effect 11/24 the $200 new service line rebate can be played even better. Maybe Sprint will allow you to open a new line of service to get the $200 rebate, then allow you to port your number to that new line of service . Hey you never know .
    Yes, but I think it's more than that. I think you have to open up a new line of service with a one-year contract. IOW, if you already have a Sprint phone, even if you've fulfilled your current contract, I don't think you can buy this phone, transfer your existing number to it, and get the Amazon rebate.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Scott

I'm tired of all the games involved in getting cellphones. I hope number portability gives us simplified contracts as well as the big price drops everyone is expecting.

Believe it or not, when I called Sprint they told me I had to sign up for a $30 Vision package if I wanted the Treo 600. Then they tried to confuse me with three different Vision packages. I felt like I was talking to a sleazy used car salesman.

So I sign up here at Treocentral looking for the straight story and find out the real price for Vision is just $15. But some people are getting it for only $10. I think someone even posted they had Vision, 300 Anytime minutes and 8 p.m. Nights all for less than $40/month. It's like the only way to get a fair price is to complain, lie and act like an a**hole with the Sprint customer service reps. I refuse to sink that low over a damn phone!
    Guess what? After all this chatter about the legend of the $300 Treo 600, it turns out to be real after all. Those of us who waited will end up laughing all the way to the bank in a week.

You heard the confirmation here first.
    If it's real - I pity the CS reps at Sprint and Handspring - they're going to get hammered by irate customers for about a month solid.
    Guess what? After all this chatter about the legend of the $300 Treo 600, it turns out to be real after all. Those of us who waited will end up laughing all the way to the bank in a week.

I hope you are right, but if you are wrong your credibility on this board will be shot down lower than the price of the Treo 300 .

Just how are you able to confirm this? Do you work for Sprint?
    A new Sprint customer can now get a Treo 600 for only $249 (after rebates) from Amazon.com . So existing Treo 300 owners upgrading for $299 is no longer such a far fetched idea .
    Obviously you can't add or subtract:

Treo 300 owner upgrade price from Handspring
    $399

Sprint PCS rebate / 2 yr contract
    - $150

------------------------------------------------------------

Total price of phone: $249

Amazon.com Treo 600 price
    $599.99

Amazon.com rebate / new service activation
    - $200

Sprint PCS rebate / 2 yr contract
    - $150

------------------------------------------------------------

Total price of phone: $249.99
    bling bling, not sure what has your boxers in a bunch, but that's for you to figure out.

I was not worried about the extra 99 cents.

Also, you should take a math class yourself. The Treo 600 upgrade price $399 if you use a provider like Cingular (offer ends Monday) or AT&T. The $399 Sprint upgrade offer price is long gone. So your little equation is a few weeks late .
    Last edited by darnell; 11/23/2003 at 05:57 PM.
    You were saying that early adopters would be pissed. Early adopters actually benefited from the Handspring offer.

You prove my point inexplicitly: those who wait wound up paying a higher price for their Treo 600 from Sprint. The lowest price anyone can get from Sprint PCS directly now is $449.99 with the $150 2 yr contract rebate. If you buy from Amazon, you get the same price as the Treo upgrade offer from Handspring.

There is no way that Sprint PCS is going to lower the start price of the phone to $300, which is what this thread implies.

They *may* after the rebate offers expire NEXT YEAR.

Sprint PCS doesn't lower phone prices until the new version of the phone comes out, and only if they have a significant inventory of the phone left with low demand for it.