Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. purpleXXY
    Originally posted by Scott R
    I'll just toss in here my own personal opinions. I wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised to see the price drop to $299 with a two-year contract. As others have noted, we have number portability and the holiday shopping season all hitting us at the same time. Handspring has offered Treo owners an unlocked non-contracted 600 for $399, which wouldn't surprise me if that's about the cost they sell them to Sprint for. If so, that would mean that Sprint would be "losing" $100 in exchange for a 2-year contract lock-in.

Scott

Sprint's cost is probably around $250 - $300 per phone. Handspring's total cost is probably a little less than $200 per phone.
    Originally posted by purpleZ
    No trade in or other games require. Finally an intelligent price. The early adopters aren't going to be happy!

(As told to me by a little bird at Sprint.)

Can any Sprint reps confirm this? Or is it top secret?

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    I will confirm that we will see soon enough
    Originally posted by ahalvor
    I will confirm that we will see soon enough

Do you work for Sprint? Does it really start December 1?
    that would be amazing, a treo for $299, especially when the verizon people are gaga over the limited function samsung i600 for up to $650!
    Originally posted by drrjv
    that would be amazing, a treo for $299, especially when the verizon people are gaga over the limited function samsung i600 for up to $650!

I just called five Sprint stores and everyone I talked to said they weren't aware of the deal. Either they're lying or Sprint really won't be cutting prices in two weeks. Looks like I'll be waiting a while longer.
    Originally posted by The Zen of Palm

I just called five Sprint stores and everyone I talked to said they weren't aware of the deal. Either they're lying or Sprint really won't be cutting prices in two weeks. Looks like I'll be waiting a while longer.

I've emailed Sprint about this. I'll post their response when I get it.
    Originally posted by The Zen of Palm
    I just called five Sprint stores and everyone I talked to said they weren't aware of the deal. Either they're lying or Sprint really won't be cutting prices in two weeks.
    You left out the third option, which is that Sprint is going to do it but the folks at the Sprint stores haven't been informed yet.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Originally posted by Scott R
    You left out the third option, which is that Sprint is going to do it but the folks at the Sprint stores haven't been informed yet.

Scott
    Maybe, but I find it hard to believe that the Sprint stores wouldn't already have been told if the price will really be dropping. Then again, Sprint might have been worried about one of their salespeople letting it slip too early and then a lot of people delaying buying their phones until December 1.
    Originally posted by rollins

Any better deals out there for current SPCS customers? (Better than the $599, I mean.)

dcr
    I just got my Treo yesterday at a Sprint store. $599 with a $150 mail-in rebate if your prior phone was active for 18 months. I had a Kyocera 6035 for 2 years. Don't know of a better deal right now.

Cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Originally posted by cash70
    I just got my Treo yesterday at a Sprint store. $599 with a $150 mail-in rebate if your prior phone was active for 18 months. I had a Kyocera 6035 for 2 years. Don't know of a better deal right now.

Cash70
    Two separate calls to Sprint customer service. First person quoted the standard offers. The second one asked where I had heard about the $299 price. I asked to speak to her supervisor, who said there are no new deals starting December 1.

The $299 Sprint Treo 600 may just be another Urban Legend like the 60 M.P.G. sparkplugs.
    Interesting Yahoo PLMO message:

-- http://finance.messages.yahoo.com/bb...7137051&mid=77
    Before y'all get your palms sweatty, consider where the initial post came from: PurpleZ. After his (her?) initial few posts I decided to ignore those posts: utterly rediculous or made up. Now this threatens to spiral out of control. Always look at the source and then decide whether you should waste your time posting replies...
    Peter M.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    Interesting Yahoo PLMO message:

-- http://finance.messages.yahoo.com/bb...7137051&mid=77

How far did this tech say prices will drop? Or is this just some guesswork?
    Gawd, will this thread NEVER die, LOL.
    From where do I buy the data cable for using my Treo 600 as a Wireless Modem? I'm planning to the the PDAnet software. Also, the folks at SprintPCS were confusing to me, and I got varying responses about what plan is required. One said that all I needed was my SprintPCS account. Another said that data is unlimited. Still another said that I need PCS Vision. Another said that I needed business connect.

Is it unlimited?
    Which plans apply such that I can use my Treo 600 as a data modem?

Thanks.
    With PDAnet, you use your standard sync cable that came in the box with your Treo to establish a data connection and use your phone as a modem, its really that easy...(IF it works for you, there are several of us that as soon as we initiate the connection it totaly locks up our pcs, and Junefabrics has no clue why).

As to which plan you need. You can use any minutes plan that fits your needs, and you have to add the Sprint PCS Vision plan, which costs 15 dollars a month, and includes unlimited data, sprint picture mail, a sprint pcs email account etc.

So if your plan is 69 bucks a month for 1200 minutes, you would add 15 dollars a month for a total of 84 bucks a month.

Just for the record, its against Sprints Terms of service to use your phone as a modem, so if you DO decide to go with PDAnet, watch your data transfer totals. Common wisdom here seems to be any more than about 1 gigabyte a month will get your vision services suspended.

Any clearer?
    Was in a friends cellular retail store yesterday and happened to bump into his Spint rep. We got to talking about my Treo 600 and all that and I brought up the subject of using it as a modem for my laptop. She smiled at me and said she was surprised it took so long (10min) for me to bring it up. Her take on it was that Sprint realizes ist's a very popular thing to do and they aren't really making a big issue out of it. That was the whole reason they came out with their modem card. To try to capitolize on the idea themselves. She was't aware that there was a prescribed threshold that caught Sprints attention.

In short I got the impression that it wasn't a big deal. I mean they provided the Connection software for many different phones so they know people are doing it. If it were a huge concern for them it would seem to me they could figure out a way to determine if you were browsing with your phone or a laptop and shut you down if they so desired.

I have connected with past phones connected for hours at a time and done some serious downloading and never run afoul of the TOS police.

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Oh and I forgot to mention that to her knowledge there was no huge price drop in the near future.

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    LOL also for the record, I work my second job at a large national retail establishment, that sells LARGE volumes of Sprint phones and services, and we have a REGIONAL rep, that is totally, utterly, without exageration, CLUELESS. These reps for the most part arent any better informed of the current state of affairs at Sprint than any of us in these forums.

Sprint had many connection options for various phones, PRE vision. When the 3G vision services were introduced, and high speed data became widespread through thier services, they abruptly changed their stance on using your phone as a data modem device, and stopped selling connection cables, or software on ANY new 3G phone. They ammended the TOS, at the same time as they came out with the new data cards, and the EXPENSIVE plans for using them.

As a rule I dont think sprint polices their subscribers in any significant way, and with the T600 there is no objective way that they can tell if you are transfering data to the phone or a PC. But an 650 megabyte 1 or 2 day total download on your account, to a phone with a maximum available memory of 512 + 24 =536 megabytes, is a dead give away that your hooking it to your laptop.

Be reasonable, be aware of what the triggers are, and you to can surf with little or no hassle from sprint. Spend the night downloading the latest linux distribution, and you can expect to get a hassle, IMHO.

YMMV
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast