Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok I have this great PDA loaded with appls and registration passwords. So my T6 doprs ans goes boom.
    Now I got a new device and it is a royal pain to get everything working again.

So I asked my fellow T6ers which is the best backup app.?
    BackupBuddy
    myline = Treo650 w/SprintPCS
    I used to use BackupBuddy religiously on my 300 but discovered that with the newer Palm Desktops it is no longer needed as the Palm Desktop also provides a back up.

I use BackUpMan
    Link
    because it backs up to the SD card and you can back up the whole system to the card for emergency purposes. For example, with my Treo 300 I had 2 occasions (on vacation) when I accidentally let my 300 battery die and after charging I had no way to restore my data without carrying a PC around on vacation for this purpose alone. With BackupMan and the 600 its asimple browse to your SD card and activation of your latest back up. A truly great tool.
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    BackupBuddy included the BackupBuddyVFS which will backup everything to the SD Card and the PC. I have tested it with a hard reset to my Treo600 and it works like a charm. Its the only backup I need.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Backupman is the best! It has already saved me once on the road. It does a complete backup of everything including phone numbers in the favorites and all preference information.
    Originally posted by arh1000
    Backupman is the best! It has already saved me once on the road. It does a complete backup of everything including phone numbers in the favorites and all preference information.

Just so you know...BackupBuddy does the same thing...favorites, preferences, etc!!
    Here's a combined SanDisk SD memory card with BackupBuddyVFS integrated:

http://www.sandisk.com/consumer/sd_card_exp.asp

I already use BackupBuddyVFS so I guess in my case I will just buy an SD memory card.
  8.    #8  
    I don't wnat this to turn into a flam out. I just wanted to know what the world is using and if there are any problem.
    It looks like backupbuddy & -man both work the same.

Does it completely backup you palm, Address, registrations, TODOs etc...
    BackupBuddy saves everything, it has saved my Treo 270 and my CEO's Treo 300 several times.

It's simple to use also. The four times I've replaced my Treo 270 via HS advanced replacement program, all I've had to do is move my GSM SIM card from the bad 270 to the replacement, stick the replacement in the cradle and sync it. 7 minutes later the replacement 270 was identical to the failed one. All settings, apps and data are there.
    Here's my take on the whole thing:

Backup Buddy VFS - people say it works, but until Blue Nomad says it's compatable with OS5, I'd stay away (they wouldn't say that without a reason)

Backup Buddy for the desktop works great, everyone should have that (what if you lose your whole device with the SD card in it? You'd still want all your info, right?)

BackupMan - works well, but it backs up your entire palm to an entire single file on the card. That's fine, but I prefer the ability to view each file individually on the card and know that it's there (yes, I know you can do this from withing BackupMan, but how about from a card reader on your desktop). In addition, each time you do a new backup, it has to write the WHOLE thing again.

Botzam Backup - this is what I prefer. It backs up each file individually in the backup directory. That also means, that subsequent backups ONLY backup the files that have changed, saving time and wear and tear on your SD Card. Here's a comparision table http://www.botzam.com/bzbackup_compare.htm

So, in summary I prefer BOTH Botzam Backup AND Backup Buddy desktop.
    Originally posted by lenman
    Ok I have this great PDA loaded with appls and registration passwords. So my T6 doprs ans goes boom.
    Now I got a new device and it is a royal pain to get everything working again.

So I asked my fellow T6ers which is the best backup app.?
    I prefer SyncAll. Just install it and you're done. There's nothing to set or anything. It just compliments Hot Sync so that everything is automatically backed up. I have tested it on the 600 already. Did a hard reset, and a Sync and I was 100% restored.
    IMHO, a backup on the card means that I can restore the PDA in the field. Using that approach, I purchased BackupBuddy in advance and have had NO problems with it. It also resided on the PDA and I used it to backup the main memory to the card every day. I wanted to do it at night, but Backupbuddy stalls due to the keyguard feature. As a note, I messed up the 600 a couple of times and restored it using Backupbuddy - did well.

I really wanted a backup program that would work unattended (didn't get stalled by keyguard) and tried Backupman and yepper, it worked well. So, I deleted BackupBuddy off of the PDA and have Backupman insead. Backup Buddy on the desk top and BackupMan on the Treo.

Individual files in the backup directory may be a quicker route to use for restoring specific files, wihch is what Backup Buddy does and I messed with that. The Backupman approach is what I have chosen as my preferred backup program (and I registered both).

The third alternative will be tried sometime, but I am in no hurry.

Ben
    -------------

Originally posted by SprintTreoUser

I prefer SyncAll. Just install it and you're done. There's nothing to set or anything. It just compliments Hot Sync so that everything is automatically backed up. I have tested it on the 600 already. Did a hard reset, and a Sync and I was 100% restored.
    Originally posted by SprintTreoUser

IMO one of the best solutions is to use SyncAll to set the backup bit. This will make sure everything will be copied to the SD Card when you use BackupBuddy VFS. I have tested this multiple times on my Treo600 with a hard reset in the field where there was no PC available to run a normal HotSync. The only option I had was to do a complete restore from BackupBuddy VFS on the SD card. BackupBuddy VFS did restore everything flawlessly..... including all Favorites, Preferences and all the options I had set in more than 25 other programs.

I guess, it as long as whatever backup system you use can restore everything exactly as you had it, its a good deal. It will boil down to cost and personal preference.

Per this thread, I've tried Botzman Backup. But each time during the back up, right after "removing orphaned files" ,the program stops and I get an error message "backup failed or was cancelled".

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
    For backing up my Palm to my desktop, I just use the software that came with the palm.

For keeping the address book in the right catagories, here's a trick that usually works: create the catagories on the palm before you restore it through hotsync.

For backing up to SD card, I haven't seen anyone mention Right Backup by Stand Alone.

http://standalone.com/palmos/right_back_up/

I works great on the 600. I have done two hard resets just to test it and it works great.

The only problem I had was with registration, they accidentally sent me the registration number for the price of the program ($10.00) and not my user name. This has been very frustrating, but I am sure it will eventually get resolved.
    I don't think this error is typical of them because my co-worker orderned it via the web too and he didn't have any problems.

The full functional 30 day trial is available on their site as well.
    From what I read and the pictures, it does exactly the same as the others for the price of one of the others. If it handles the keyguard problem, then it at BackupMan are the ones. BackupBuddy sits until the keyguard is disabled.

Ben

===========

Originally posted by pcsnpixels
    For backing up my Palm to my desktop, I just use the software that came with the palm.

For keeping the address book in the right catagories, here's a trick that usually works: create the catagories on the palm before you restore it through hotsync.

For backing up to SD card, I haven't seen anyone mention Right Backup by Stand Alone.

http://standalone.com/palmos/right_back_up/

I works great on the 600. I have done two hard resets just to test it and it works great.

The only problem I had was with registration, they accidentally sent me the registration number for the price of the program ($10.00) and not my user name. This has been very frustrating, but I am sure it will eventually get resolved.
    I don't think this error is typical of them because my co-worker orderned it via the web too and he didn't have any problems.

The full functional 30 day trial is available on their site as well.
    Aside from Botzman Backup, do any of the other backup programs encrypt the data written to the SD card?
    Originally posted by BionicBoxcar
    Aside from Botzman Backup, do any of the other backup programs encrypt the data written to the SD card?
    I use BackUpman.

The program author said the next major release will include encryption.

Yes, Backupman does backuop everything on each backup... But you just set it to do it in the middle of the night and forget it.

Whoc ares how long it takes at 4:30 AM! And someone said something about "weear and tear" on the card.. I don't think an SD card can really get wear and tear being used.. Maybe the contacts can wear off taking it in and out, but I don't think it becomes less useable because you use it.

BackupMan DOES let you restore any file you want.

I like the fact that it is in one file for each backup set.. Doesn't bother me at all...

I did the same research about backup programs as the person whos tarted this thread, and Backupman is better and more reliable then Botzam. It installs itself on your SD card also when you install it in case of a crash.; There have been 2 updates since I got it.. It is definitely supported well.

As far as Backup Buddy.. I tried it once on desktop with the 300 and that thing is just VERY comp;icated... all sorts of unneeded settings. I am just trying to backup for god sakes!!

Mike
    Well, everyone's presented some good solutions so I don't have much to add here. I'm a BackupMan fan myself. It's an excellent program and the only thing I feel is missing is the encrypted backups which are going to be added in a future release. It's a well supported program for a good price. I considered buying Backup Buddy for the desktop, but ultimately decided that it was easier and cheaper for me to pop my SD card in my reader and just copy the backup files themselves from the SD card.

Finally, I don't really believe in the "wear and tear" of memory cards unless they are truly el cheapo which I don't buy anyway. Some people believe that eventually if you write enough to the card the that eletronics inside will at some point stop being able to hold an adequate charge or hold too much residual charge. I'm not saying that it's never happened, but I've never seen it nor do I know anyone that has, so I don't worry in the least about "wear and tear" of a memory card.

I'm sure all of the mentioned backup programs are useful in their own right, but I do recommend anyone that wants a really good backup program to take a look at BackupMan.
    Does anyone have experience with BackupMan and Right Backup. Which would you prefer? They seem quite similar...

Once caveat though cocerning Right Backup - the graphics of Right Backup are messed up on my Treo 600. Text overlaps graphics on the main screen, on the about screen, etc. Perhaps it was only designed for 320x320 devices...anyone else have this problem?

(I like BackupBuddyVFS too, but for $10.00, I'll use BackupMan or Right Backup until BackupBuddyVFS officially starts supporting OS5).
    Last edited by tcc; 11/09/2003 at 11:57 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast