Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I am trying to decide about back up. so far I have just hot synced. since it worked perfectly when I went from T300 to T600 I assumed that if I needed to do a hard reset and then resynced Iwould have a good restore. Am I correct? If so, what is the purpose to have an additional back up program for the backup computer?

I have just put in an SD card. I can see the advantage to back up there so if there is a need for a reset while away from back up computer can back up from card.

What am I missing?

If hot sync works for back up to computer and I don't need to do anything else, what is the best program to back up only on SD card?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Can someone explain to me how these "backup" programs work? Say my battery dies -- or I have to do a hard reset -- will I be able to restore all my date just from the SD card -- or will I have to HotSync also?

Is there any option out there were I could do everything from the device only and never have to HotSync to the desktop -- and be also be able to restore data -- withouth having to use a PC?
    Quote Originally Posted by vitb9doc
    I am trying to decide about back up. so far I have just hot synced. since it worked perfectly when I went from T300 to T600 I assumed that if I needed to do a hard reset and then resynced Iwould have a good restore. Am I correct? If so, what is the purpose to have an additional back up program for the backup computer?

I have just put in an SD card. I can see the advantage to back up there so if there is a need for a reset while away from back up computer can back up from card.

What am I missing?

If hot sync works for back up to computer and I don't need to do anything else, what is the best program to back up only on SD card?

Thanks.
    Hot sync is great for backing up but here's a real life example of how BackupMan became invaluable to me: Something on my Treo (don't remember what now) caused a reset loop on my phone that I could not stop any other way than a hard reset. I was nowhere near home and wouldn't be for hours. I was able to use the backup files from BackupMan on my card to restore all my programs, data, contacts, etc. without a hot sync within minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by vitb9doc

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Before doing any hard resets, you should install CardBackup from here and use the program to backup your entire ram to your memory card. You probably want a 128 meg card. They're coming down in price. Then you can do a full restore and not lose any data. That app has saved my hide a few times
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234