Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by jennyfur
    Bah.... this thread is only making it harder to decide! I thought maybe user's opinions would give me a clearer idea of which program I'd rather use, but everything is so conflicting that now I'm at a total loss. LOL!
    Well, I've been fooling around with both and went with BackupMan...glad to know there's encyrption coming for it too. The decision breaker for me was the option on BackupMan to create a backup after each Hot Sync automatically to the SD card. Either program can be scheduled, but I like the idea that should I have to restore from the SD, that I know I am restoring to the same point that my computer is at and have the most current information possible. The backup takes about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes after Hot Sync is complete. Botzam had a somewhat similar feature that automatically updates the backup after each time the phone is turned off. I tried that feature, but it ends up backing up way too much...including everytime Snapper does a mail fetch. It seemed like that feature may have had issues with the keyguard as well causing additional backups that were not needed. Also, everytime a key is accidentally pressed and the phone shuts off after the set duration, there would be yet another backup.

Hope I didn't confuse you more!
    Last edited by SprintTreoUser; 11/17/2003 at 03:30 PM.
    Well, I just found out that Botzam will be adding the backup after every Hot Sync, just like BackupMan, so now I'd have to say that Botzam is the way to go. When you combine that with Botzam's ability to only update the files that have changed for a backup, it becomes an even better feature since it can update the backup files in a matter of seconds.

Gotta admit too, I like the way Botzam displays the program Icons on the screen as it backs them up.....
    Hey, has anyone here used VFS QuickBack?

http://www.marginsoftware.com/products/quickback/

This seems to give you alot more options than backupman as far as individual files etc. I especially like the battery level checking so it won't backup is your battery is low...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I noticed a strange thing today. My backups with BackupBuddyVFS used to pause until I unlocked my device each morning (scheduled to start at 3:30am, but waited until I unlocked the keyguard).

But since I installed GoodLink software on my Treo, it has been working normally. I tested it a couple of times this afternoon, and my backup continues without me having to unlock the device.

Has anyone else had this happen? (the only change I know of is the installation of GoodLink).
    Bret Snyder<BR>If you don't know where you're going,<BR>You'll probably end up somewhere else.
    Originally posted by SprintTreoUser
    Well, I just found out that Botzam will be adding the backup after every Hot Sync, just like BackupMan, so now I'd have to say that Botzam is the way to go. When you combine that with Botzam's ability to only update the files that have changed for a backup, it becomes an even better feature since it can update the backup files in a matter of seconds.
    Thanks for this info. I was leaning towards Botzam due to:
    1. ability to update only files that changed
    2. ability to restore single files
    3. encryption
    The addition of "backup after hotsync" definately puts them on top for me. Luckily (unluckily?) I won't have my hands on a GSM Treo to try any backup program on any time soon, so an updated version of Botzam will probably be out with more features in plenty of time. I'm also assuming that Botzam has no issue with keylock since nobody has mentioned it...
    Originally posted by tcc
    Does anyone have experience with BackupMan and Right Backup. Which would you prefer? They seem quite similar...

I have used both:

RightBackup worked fine when I was trying it but as soon as I purchased the product, it all went horribly wrong. When backing up SMS Messages.pdb (GSM 600), the program crashes. I have tried deleting the contents of the DB and even deleting the DB altogether - no joy.
    To make things worse, absolutely no response to my 4 emails to StandAlone. Unacceptable and I have asked for a full refund.

I am still trying BackUpMan and it works a treat - even a little faster that RighBackup and no problems with the SMS DB anomoly.

In summary, I prefer BackUpMan. It's not as Heavy as RightBackup and does not have any bugs (so far...). When it has encryption, it will be easily the best product and great value for 10 bucks.
    www.gsmworld.com
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Hey, has anyone here used VFS QuickBack?

http://www.marginsoftware.com/products/quickback/

This seems to give you alot more options than backupman as far as individual files etc. I especially like the battery level checking so it won't backup is your battery is low...
    Hey Gfunk...

Looks good but you will need another product to effect a restore...

Though there is a Restore button in the Welcome Wizard (as the Wizard will be shown if your handheld is wiped), it is currently not enabled. Please use an external file management program to restore your databases. We recommend the free FileCaddy (http://filecaddy.sourceforge.net/).
    www.gsmworld.com
    I had an opportunity to use BackupMan that I had purchased a month ago. I backup every morning at 1 am. This morning I need to do a hard reboot. BackupMan restored everthing except for complaining about restoring the Web (Blazer) cache. Since I don't care about the cache, I'm a happy customer.

-Bill
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Botzam (the tryit version I have) still hangs if keylock is on - on my Treo 600. Is there 1) any workaround / coming fix; 2) any documentation at all on Botzam products anywhere? I cannot find.

THANKS
    Charliec
    I purchased BackupMan many upgrades ago, every new version of the program has been a free update. It works great, it's reasonably priced and best of all works perfectly with my new Treo 600.
    No good deed goes unpunished
    Check Preferences - keyguard - it can be disabled. I started using my Treo 600 in the disabled mode yetserday. Ben

Originally posted by charliec
    Botzam (the tryit version I have) still hangs if keylock is on - on my Treo 600. Is there 1) any workaround / coming fix; 2) any documentation at all on Botzam products anywhere? I cannot find.

THANKS
    blcinger:

Check Preferences - keyguard - it can be disabled. I started using my Treo 600 in the disabled mode yetserday. Ben

Yes...thought of and tried that (for phone in general, correct?) - but then I have the dreaded "unexpected" dialings...like to my boss the other morning where he heard the first 7 minutes of my day on his cell phone! Oh man...guard does back on! Lucky for me I was being a good employee that morning....
    Charliec
    Originally posted by bclinger

Yes...thought of and tried that (for phone in general, correct?) - but then I have the dreaded "unexpected" dialings...like to my boss the other morning where he heard the first 7 minutes of my day on his cell phone! Oh man...guard does back on! Lucky for me I was being a good employee that morning....
    Charliec
    Are you a pocket keeper or a case/belt keeper? I really do like the keyguard deactivated. It amounted to about 30 less button presses.

Ben

Originally posted by charliec

< Bump >
    I use it in the case - and have it programmed to keyguard immediately - however, the keyguard program inhibits things like Botzam Backup (which I set to run late and the phone has always set the keyguard) - Botzam said months ago they were working on a workaround.
    Last edited by charliec; 06/19/2004 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Error
    Charliec
    Really? I tested Botzam Backup several times with keygaurd and scheduled backups, and it worked fine. Perhaps you still have an old version? Current is 2.06.

On that note, I use keygaurd but disable it at night using Profiles 0.18. This is so MacroPlay will work. It does many things like purges SMS and turns off pTunes EQ and play timer. The profile also turns contrast way up to darken the screen, and quiets all SMS and phone sounds except voicemail. I also use TreoHelper to turn wireless mode off before it does the backup and macros, then turns it back on 30 minutes later.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    I'm amazed nobody has mentioned CardBackup. Click here for a full description and the most recent update. It's the most reliable backup program, has full and partial backups and restores, and scheduling. The only thing missing is password protection, which is being added in an update coming here soon.

I've tried BackupMan and now I'm trying BackupBuddy. It seems that the only backup solution that allows you to backup to both your memory card and desktop is BackupBuddy. Am I wrong?? I want the desktop backup in case I lose my entire Treo!!

ALSO...does anyone know how to read and delete contents from my SD card from my Treo?? I've got a Sprint Treo 600 and I uploaded some pictures to the SD card using PictureMail but have no idea how to get rid of them. The card info utility is useless!!

Thanks!!!
    BackupBuddy does backup memory card and ram to your computer during hotsyncs and also backs up ram to memory card when you are away from your computer. However, the optimal setup IMO is to combine it with CardBackup.

(You can get a functioning demo of CardBackup from the link two posts earlier.)
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast