Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I purchased both BackupMan and BackupBuddy. They both do exactly the same thing. Exactly. The big difference is that BackUpMan gets around the keylock function of the Treo 600; the keyload function stops BackupBuddy until the keyload function clears. Other differences include the method of archiving - BackupBuddy copies the files into a folder on the external card and BackUpMan creates one file on the external card and stores all of the files in that folder. From my own experience, I use BackUpBuddy on the desktop and BackUpMan on the Treo 600. Right Backup, never got that far.

Ben

---------------------------

Originally posted by tcc
    Does anyone have experience with BackupMan and Right Backup. Which would you prefer? They seem quite similar...

(I like BackupBuddyVFS too, but for $10.00, I'll use BackupMan or Right Backup until BackupBuddyVFS officially starts supporting OS5).
    Originally posted by tcc
    Does anyone have experience with BackupMan and Right Backup. Which would you prefer? They seem quite similar...

Once caveat though cocerning Right Backup - the graphics of Right Backup are messed up on my Treo 600. Text overlaps graphics on the main screen, on the about screen, etc. Perhaps it was only designed for 320x320 devices...anyone else have this problem?

(I like BackupBuddyVFS too, but for $10.00, I'll use BackupMan or Right Backup until BackupBuddyVFS officially starts supporting OS5).
    I haven't had any problems at all with it (right backup). Every morning when I turn on my palm it lets me know that it did a complete backup at 1:30am onto the SD card. It also backs up to the desktop on HotSync.

It does automated backup, you can do field restores via the SD card and a few other nifty options. I have had zero problems with it.
    Botzam Backup - this is what I prefer. It backs up each file individually in the backup directory. That also means, that subsequent backups ONLY backup the files that have changed, saving time and wear and tear on your SD Card. Here's a comparision table http://www.botzam.com/bzbackup_compare.htm

I agree, with the others you have to do a complete restore. With Botzam you can restore one or two files and it is faster, because if the file isn't changed it won't rewrite it to the card.

I also use backup buddy desktop as well.
    I had to do a hard reset the other day and had to restore everything from my SD card using BackupBuddy VFS. It worked, pretty much. All my appications and data files, including all of their preferences came back as well as most of the other preference settings. A few things didn't come back, such as the volume and contrast settings, that I didn't really expect to be restored. I got a bunch of warnings about individual files that couldn't get restored because the files were in use on the handheld. I just skipped these. In the end, the only thing of importance that didn't get restored was my file of shortcuts, which, I assume, was one of those files that was in use. I had only one file on the SD card that looked like a shortcut file, and I tried restoring it manually, but I did get the file-in-use message. So is there a trick to restoring the shortcut file?
    Regards,

Robert
    I've been wrestling with this same decision for some time now... I was basically trying to choose between BackupBuddy VFS, Right Back Up, and BackupMan.... I hadn't heard of Botzam at first. It seems that each has its pros and cons. Even after reading this thread though, I still don't have any compelling reasons to choose one program hands down over the others! Darn.

The compare table on Botzam's site makes their program seem the most compelling compared to the competitors, but then again that's their job. Also, Right Back Up is not included in that table (although I know some features that it doesn't have compared to Botzam off the top of my head). So for now I guess I'll lean towards that one until someone can offer reasoning for going with one of the others instead....
    I'd like to know if backing up the handeld data on the SD card using "Botzam Backup" will erase the pre-existing data on the SD.
    Regards
    Ferr
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I sent an email to the developers of Botzam Backup asking that same question (if pre-existing data on the SD card would be erased) and they never emailed me back. (it was 4 weeks ago)

So I decided if they can/will not answer simple questions about their own product, that I would go with BackupMan and it has been wonderful. I have restored a few times and never had any problems with it.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I have been using Botzam Backup because it was recommended by Dave Johnson and Rick Broida, who write for Handheld Computing, in their new book How to DO Everything with Your Palm Handheld, fourth edition. I am very pleased with the software. Yes, you can use the rest of the card for whatever you want but you might want to think about that. If something happens to your Treo 600 that you lose it, then not only have you lost your Treo, but your backup card as well. I keep a copy of the software on both my Treo and my backup card for that reason, although I store the data only on my backup card. In setting up my new Treo 600 I had reason to do a hard reset a couple of times and Botzam Backup worked flawlessly. BTW, Botzam Backup was just recently updated for the Treo 600.

macfan
    Originally posted by peridoc
    I sent an email to the developers of Botzam Backup asking that same question (if pre-existing data on the SD card would be erased) and they never emailed me back. (it was 4 weeks ago)

So I decided if they can/will not answer simple questions about their own product, that I would go with BackupMan and it has been wonderful. I have restored a few times and never had any problems with it.
    I also emailed Botzam and NEVER got ANY reply.. I asked Backupman people about encryption they responded in a few minutes saying it's on the way in version 3!

That is anothe reason I went with Backupman and am Happy!
    Originally posted by rbienstock
    I had to do a hard reset the other day and had to restore everything from my SD card using BackupBuddy VFS. It worked, pretty much. All my appications and data files, including all of their preferences came back as well as most of the other preference settings. A few things didn't come back, such as the volume and contrast settings, that I didn't really expect to be restored. I got a bunch of warnings about individual files that couldn't get restored because the files were in use on the handheld. I just skipped these. In the end, the only thing of importance that didn't get restored was my file of shortcuts, which, I assume, was one of those files that was in use. I had only one file on the SD card that looked like a shortcut file, and I tried restoring it manually, but I did get the file-in-use message. So is there a trick to restoring the shortcut file?
    I would assume you can get around some of the files in use by doing a WARM BOOT (that doesnt load stuff at startup) and then restoring since more files wouldnt be in use.

Mike
    Originally posted by macfan
    I have been using Botzam Backup because it was recommended by Dave Johnson and Rick Broida, who write for Handheld Computing, in their new book How to DO Everything with Your Palm Handheld, fourth edition. I am very pleased with the software. Yes, you can use the rest of the card for whatever you want but you might want to think about that. If something happens to your Treo 600 that you lose it, then not only have you lost your Treo, but your backup card as well. I keep a copy of the software on both my Treo and my backup card for that reason, although I store the data only on my backup card. In setting up my new Treo 600 I had reason to do a hard reset a couple of times and Botzam Backup worked flawlessly. BTW, Botzam Backup was just recently updated for the Treo 600.

macfan
    Macfan,

I'm about to purchase either BackupMan or Botzam Backup. I was wondering what was done to update it for the 600? Right now I'm leaning towards BackupMan but only because I really like the option to automatically perform a backup after a Sync. I was thinking of waiting for the Handspring backup but since it's listed in the SD card section, I'm assuming that it works only with that cars. Not sure on that one.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I never had the old version so I can't answer that. What I do know is that I wrote to the author and he told me to make sure I downloaded it from his site as that was the only site at the time with the latest version. I don't recall now what it was but he said there was something different in that version for the Treo 600.

macfan
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Sprint Treo User:

You will probably find this hard to believe but I don't sync my Treo 600. I load all software via my SD card and my card reader. Backup to a SD card is important to me because that is my only backup other than the prc that I have left a copy of on my destop computer. Because of this I really can't tell you what Botzam does as far as backup after a sync. I am a vintage computer collector and don't own a computer with a USB connector. My card reader is of the PC card type.

macfan
    With Sync All, do I even need to buy any back up program?

Russell
    Originally posted by Fender Doc
    With Sync All, do I even need to buy any back up program?

Russell
    That depends. SyncAll creates a backup on your computer. If you want to have a backup with you on a SD card, you'll need a backup program like BackupMan or Botzam.
    Originally posted by macfan
    Sprint Treo User:

You will probably find this hard to believe but I don't sync my Treo 600. I load all software via my SD card and my card reader. Backup to a SD card is important to me because that is my only backup other than the prc that I have left a copy of on my destop computer. Because of this I really can't tell you what Botzam does as far as backup after a sync. I am a vintage computer collector and don't own a computer with a USB connector. My card reader is of the PC card type.

macfan
    You're right! Hard to believe! Thanks for the info on Botzam too. I think they're the ones making the SD card accessory for Handspring. Pretty sure I read that somewhere but I'm sure it's no coincidence that if you watch the screen for it on the Handspring website, you can catch Botzam listed on one of the preview screens.

Think I'm gonna go with BackupMan anyway. Downloaded the demo to try and tested it. It worked fine. And as mentioned already, I really like the backup after every Hot Sync option.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    I installed Right Back Up onto the Treo 600.

Worked OK, backed up onto the SD card.

When I set it to back up weekly it did a couple of back ups I was not expecting.

I wanted to back up onto the PC so I would not use the 20 megs on the SD.

Comments?

www.standalone.com
    I use Blue Squirrel's Blue Sync to back up my 256 meg SD card to my PC and jkware's Card Back Up to back up my device to the card 2x / week. Works great.

Any comments on using this config or whay I should be using something else would be appreciated.
    I use backup buddy to save the card onto the laptop. I used to use Botzam to backup to the sd card. I had to do a hard reset and tried to restore with Botzam. Lots of problems, I ended up having to restore from the pc. I switched to backupman and it works very well. Restores without a problem too. It is cleaner too, botzam uses a folder on the sd card with all of the files. Backupman uses one file, but you still can do individual restores. Similar to Nortons ghost.
    Bah.... this thread is only making it harder to decide! I thought maybe user's opinions would give me a clearer idea of which program I'd rather use, but everything is so conflicting that now I'm at a total loss. LOL!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast