Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    All y'all that have been complaining for the last 6 weeks about the GSM Treo delays:

Handspring/PalmOne doesn't need customers like you. Go away.

They are STILL on target vis-a-vis their original shipping target: LATE FALL. In case you didn't notice, "Fall" continues until December 21.

Did they have some unexpected delays in carrier approval? Probably. Did their CSRs give some ship-time estimates that were found not to be true? Sure. Big Deal! They made a good-faith effort to give you a best guess, and they were wrong. They didn't make promises or announcements of dates when GSM Treos would ship, they gave guesses. With an army of rabid speed-dialers calling several times a day I would guess that they started giving the "a few weeks" line just to get you off their 800 number faster! I don't blame them! Calling twice a day for a month costs them more money than they will make off selling you the stupid thing when it ships!

If they hadn't anticipated that there would be some unforseen hitches, the announced ship date would have been "Early Fall", when it seems pretty clear that they would have been ready to go had things gone smoother. They didn't go smoother. Too bad for those who have to have a GSM Treo 600.

All the crying and whining about Handspring screwing their customers, or intentionally lying and jerking people around, is just a big steaming bucket of poo. HS, like lots of other electronics manufacturers, hit some snags in getting a new product out the door, but unlike many other companies, they had the foresight to leave some room in their announced schedule for such slippage when they said they would ship in LATE FALL. Which is just now rolling around.

If you REALLY, REALLY are burning to have a Treo 600, you have been able to buy one from Sprint for the last X weeks. I was a T-Mobile customer with my T 180, and I was honestly looking forward to the GSM 600. But, given the choice between a shipping product with a deep discount and a product that didn't have an announced ship date, I chose to make the switch. Personal preference, not the only availalbe option (I could hae waited; my T 180 still works).

Whew. I just HAD to get that off my chest. Back to your regularly-scheduled whinge-fest.
    Originally posted by purpleA

Please send the decoder ring that was supposed to come with this message.
    I almost fell outta' my chair at work on that one (yes, I'm the guy that laughs awkwardly late at jokes).

And to the Euro-guy, I guarantee if us americans were asked if we wanted the gsm treo 600's first over the euros, we'd answer a resounding yes. It's nothing against anyone. We've spent years of getting Japan's last year models in technology for so long, that I don't think people would say, "I can wait, let the euros get it first."

Anyway, this doesn't really apply to me since I'm with sprint. I pretty much got my cdma same as euros got gsm version.
    later-
    Originally posted by grib
    All y'all that have been complaining for the last 6 weeks about the GSM Treo delays:

Handspring/PalmOne doesn't need customers like you. Go away.

They are STILL on target vis-a-vis their original shipping target: LATE FALL. In case you didn't notice, "Fall" continues until December 21.

Did they have some unexpected delays in carrier approval? Probably. Did their CSRs give some ship-time estimates that were found not to be true? Sure. Big Deal! They made a good-faith effort to give you a best guess, and they were wrong. They didn't make promises or announcements of dates when GSM Treos would ship, they gave guesses. With an army of rabid speed-dialers calling several times a day I would guess that they started giving the "a few weeks" line just to get you off their 800 number faster! I don't blame them! Calling twice a day for a month costs them more money than they will make off selling you the stupid thing when it ships!

If they hadn't anticipated that there would be some unforseen hitches, the announced ship date would have been "Early Fall", when it seems pretty clear that they would have been ready to go had things gone smoother. They didn't go smoother. Too bad for those who have to have a GSM Treo 600.

All the crying and whining about Handspring screwing their customers, or intentionally lying and jerking people around, is just a big steaming bucket of poo. HS, like lots of other electronics manufacturers, hit some snags in getting a new product out the door, but unlike many other companies, they had the foresight to leave some room in their announced schedule for such slippage when they said they would ship in LATE FALL. Which is just now rolling around.

If you REALLY, REALLY are burning to have a Treo 600, you have been able to buy one from Sprint for the last X weeks. I was a T-Mobile customer with my T 180, and I was honestly looking forward to the GSM 600. But, given the choice between a shipping product with a deep discount and a product that didn't have an announced ship date, I chose to make the switch. Personal preference, not the only availalbe option (I could hae waited; my T 180 still works).

Whew. I just HAD to get that off my chest. Back to your regularly-scheduled whinge-fest.
    As one of the leading complainers, I take issue with what you say.

First off, let me say that I can live with delays. What I can't live with is LIES. I also understand that when launching a new product, delays can occur unexpectedly. I can live with that too. JUST TELL ME THAT IS WHAT HAPPENED.

But the truth is, we got LIES.

For you to be correct, one has to ignore what happened AFTER those early announcements. You have to ignore that Dubinsky - the head of the company - told customers and investors that carrier specific handsets for TMo, Cingular and AT&T would be available on the HS website in mid October and unlocked handsets would be available by the end of October.

Now you put great store in the fact that CSR's tell people stuff to get them off the phone. I don't focus on that. Rather I focus upon what the HEAD OF THE COMPANY said in the MIDDLE OF A MERGER - a time when one has every reason to rely upon what was being said, particularly when it relates to strategic issues involving the Company's soon to be ONLY product.

And after it was on the record, it was NEVER retracted, never corrected, never modified. Rather you have people DENYING it was ever said, in effect, when they point to the mumbo jumbo squishy word BS in their promotional literature.

Like I said, if they said to people, things slipped, I say FINE. If they said to people we are having troubles with our carrier approvals, I say fine.

But they keep lying and lying and lying. The calendar moves, but 2 weeks don't. You call and complain and they are disappointed you feel that way (although they are NEVER disappointed that they hooked you and then don't follow through). They never say they are sorry that they froze your purchase decision, trotted out their CEO with target dates and then fell on their face.

So you have your phone and you are happy as a clam.

They still are jerks.
    Zipnitz, I'm sorry that I don't have time to respond in depth to your post. I don't know anything about you personally, so I can't make any statements about you or what kind of person you are.

What I CAN say is that your preoccupation with Handspring's "lying", your incessant repetition of a litany of wrongs that have been done to you personally, and the carefully-constructed edifice of reason that supports the idea that there is a conspiracy to defraud you of your Treo 600 ...

are pretty much exactly the way a person would act if they were a total wack-job.

Since I am of the "if it quacks like a duck" school of thought, I'm going to go ahead and sign off on this thread before dead rabbits start showing up at my house.

b.g.
    Zipnitz, I'm sorry that I don't have time to respond in depth to your post. I don't know anything about you personally, so I can't make any statements about you or what kind of person you are.

What I CAN say is that your preoccupation with Handspring's "lying", your incessant repetition of a litany of wrongs that have been done to you personally, and the carefully-constructed edifice of reason that supports the idea that there is a conspiracy to defraud you of your Treo 600 ...

are pretty much exactly the way a person would act if they were a total wack-job.

Since I am of the "if it quacks like a duck" school of thought, I'm going to go ahead and sign off on this thread before dead rabbits start showing up at my house.

b.g.
    Let's see....

You don't know anything about me....and you don't have time to analyze what I say....so...

Why not just call names and move on?

Very nice.
  6. purpleA

What I CAN say is that [you're] a total wack-job.

b.g.
    Too late. "Zippy" has already developed a Fatal Attraction to you, Grib. Nice knowing ya!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12