1.    #1  
    Aloha All,
    I'm currently with AT&T, with 6 months left to go on my contract.

I'm seriously considering abandoning AT&T, and either paying to get out of my contract, or just dropping to the cheapest plan (maybe $20/mo or at most $30) and just paying the monthly fee even though I'm not using it.

I'd be leaving AT&T so that I could switch over to Sprint. In addition to not wanting to wait for At&T to get the Treo (I'm not very patient), I'm mostly concerned about the cost of the data plans the two companies.

As far as I can tell, Sprint is $15 for unlimited data access, but AT&T is $20 for just 8 megs.

I'm thinking that even though I'll be out about $150 up front, in the long run, I'll be happier with unlimited internet, for much less money. I wouldn't be using it for work, purely personal, but I'd hate to run out of transfer each month.

So I need opinions. Am I crazy?

Thanks,
    eKennedy
    You are in a similar circumstance as I was a year ago. I got a Treo 300 (Sprint) last November while I had a previous ATT plan that didn't run out until Feb. I switched to Sprint for the unlimited data plan. I simply paid ATT the $20/month for three months until my contract expired. Unfortunately you still have 6 months to go.

Sounds to me like you should just keep your ATT service until it runs out, but drop down to the minimum. $20/month for 6 months is cheaper than a $150 fee, plus you are paying it over time rather than up front. Plus, you can use both phones in the meantime.
    Food for thought: while I can understand your impatience (I have the same gene), personally, I wouldn't bail or sign ANY new cellular contract prior to 11/24. That number portability kick-off date, combined with the traditional holiday season, is profoundly likely to make cellular choices-- at long last -- a consumer's paradise.

Trust me when I tell ya-- I had my credit card in my pocket 2 days ago, as I stood at a BestBuy counter fondling a Treo 600. I'm still amazed that I managed to walk away without the device in hand (trust me, that ain't my typical modus operandi!). Nov 24th may come and go quietly, since it's the Monday of Thanksgiving week, but we'll likely start seeing some profound changes during the opening weeks of December. For that reason, I just stuffed kleenex around my mouth to catch all the drool, and limped away ("weak in the knees" syndrome).

Just my 2 cents worth.
    ^^^ Yes that makes perfect sense. Once your contract is up though, i strongly recommend going to Sprint for the data plan alone.

In the heated debate over which mobile provider is better and GSM vs CDMA, one thing remains:

ALL MOBILE CARRIERS SUCK. No matter WHO you go through they ALL suck.

What is important is finding out what areas you want them to suck at the least.

I'll definitely be sticking with Sprint for a long long time for the unlimited data.
    Originally posted by eKennedy
    Aloha All,
    I'm currently with AT&T, with 6 months left to go on my contract.

I'm seriously considering abandoning AT&T, and either paying to get out of my contract, or just dropping to the cheapest plan (maybe $20/mo or at most $30) and just paying the monthly fee even though I'm not using it.

I'd be leaving AT&T so that I could switch over to Sprint. In addition to not wanting to wait for At&T to get the Treo (I'm not very patient), I'm mostly concerned about the cost of the data plans the two companies.

As far as I can tell, Sprint is $15 for unlimited data access, but AT&T is $20 for just 8 megs.

I'm thinking that even though I'll be out about $150 up front, in the long run, I'll be happier with unlimited internet, for much less money. I wouldn't be using it for work, purely personal, but I'd hate to run out of transfer each month.

So I need opinions. Am I crazy?

Thanks,
    eKennedy

I think the data aspects of Sprint are far superior to any other carrier out there in terms of speed, price, and data amount. The most important thing you ought to do is get the Sprint phone and see what coverage is like where you live...

Personally, I've never had a problem with Sprint's coverage. Honestly, I travel A LOT and have never had a problem. Also, My coverage in Philly is so good, I don't need a land line... YMMV

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    If you are using AT&T GSM service, you can aways get a GSM T600 and stick with AT&T till your cotract expires. At that time you can then switch to T-Mobile and bring your T600 over. T-Mobile has ulimted data for $19.99 per month with anny call plan of $29.00 or hgher. I have had very good experiences with T-Mobile.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    Q: Are you happy with AT&T's busines service? Billing policies, customer service etc. I have tried them all and have been with AT&T for almost 3 years now. VERY Satisfied with their policies. About a year and a half ago I bought the samsung i300 w/ Sprint. I was seriously going to check it out and switch. I signed up for a relatively low usage plan, tried it and decided to keep it, and up the usage plan. NOT with Sprint you don't. The plan I wanted to switch to wouldn't go into effect until the next billing cycle. They said, "If we allowed that, everyone would go over their plan and just up it on the last day." (would that be a crime- having a plan that meets my usage needs?)
    I monitor my minutes and move my plan up and down depending on usage with AT&T; and they are happy to do it. check out all the "up charges" from Sprint for basic services offered by AT&T.
    There have been other "issues" with Sprint (I have a Novatel vision card for my Laptop) however they're not relevant here.
    Number portability is a reason not to move regardless of how you feel about the service.
    My contract with AT&T is long expired but I'm still waiting for their version of the Treo600
    Good Luck to you!
    The Road Warrior
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm leaning toward switching right after the 24th. In that case, I'll be able to keep my number, but I won't be able to allow the AT&T contract to slowly expire. I'll have to drop it right there and pay the penalty. I just sent them an email to see how much that early termination fee is.

Thanks again,
    eKennedy
    That's just what I did--bailed on at&t and went with Sprint. The joy I've had with my 600 more than makes up for the pain of losing the money. I'd say you're right to do it.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    eKennedy,

I'm in the same situation that you are. Have you check to see if there is a difference with reception between Sprint and AT&T in Honolulu?

Mahalo,
    Snooz
  11.    #11  
    Hey Snooz,
    I was with Sprint for over five years before going to AT&T about two years ago. I seem to remember Sprint coverage being about the same as I get now. I live in Waipahu and work in Waikiki so spend most of my time somewhere in between. Service is generally pretty good in that corridor.

eKennedy
    I switched from AT&T and couldn't be happier!