1.    #1  
    I personally would not pay half as much to get one as some were getting it for $700-850 (without contract)

It has a potential flaw in 160x160 and OS5.
    It would not be so bad if it was OS4 and 160x160.
    As it is, many software written for OS5 will not run in 160x160,
    And many software written for OS4 will not run in OS5.

Not to mention the peculiar design of the headset jack!
    http://pc-mobile.net
    Spoken like someone who does not own one.

MRL-MO
    nice troll attempt, not biting though

have a good night.
    That's actually a good question.

To me, it's all about cost.

I don't think there's anything "wrong" with the Treo 600, at least that I've noticed yet. I don't find the 160x160 resolution a problem.

However, the cost is quite high. I would not have bought the Treo if I could not have gotten at least some discount on it. I paid $500 and that's more than the vast majority of people on this board paid. That was my limit and I still feel that it was almost too much.

If you were me, you wouldn't pay more than $500 for it after all discounts and taxes. But you are you, so try to get your hands on one it and play around with it and see if it's worth the price you can get it for.
    Mine should be here Monday. $599 - $200 Handspring discount - $150 SprintPSC discount (already with them, what's another 24 months?) = $249.99 cost out of my pocket. Best friggin' phone I'll ever own (based on my playing with the demo at local Sprint store). And yes, the Treo 600 is a phone first, PDA second. Fine with me!
    PC-Mobile:
    There is so far nothing better than Treo 300/600, no matter what price you pay, if what you need is the best integration of phone, organizer, wireless Internet, wireless modem ..., that's one-hand operatable and small in pocket.

Others are not any cheaper, but they don't have all these:

1) a very thoughtful and useful keyboard (most do not have a keyboard at all);
    2) a Palm OS - multiple languages support, vast applications;
    3) a phone that actually gets steady signal (best reception at least among Sprint phones) for both voice and data;
    4) a wireless modem;
    Originally posted by volsfan0911
    Mine should be here Monday. $599 - $200 Handspring discount - $150 SprintPSC discount (already with them, what's another 24 months?) = $249.99 cost out of my pocket. Best friggin' phone I'll ever own (based on my playing with the demo at local Sprint store). And yes, the Treo 600 is a phone first, PDA second. Fine with me!
    Would you have gotten the phone if you had to pay full price?
    I like the treo and it is very useful and is great in so many ways, but...(I'm sure many of you will get upset at these too).

First the screen... Give me a break, what a crappy color spread and resolution. Big mistake here. I've had a pocket pc for three years now and this treo should be on par with at least that. They should have gone with an OLED at twice the resolution and at least 65k colors. Photos look like crap, any contemporary graphic looks like crap. This is a major dissappointment.

Second, the OS... Palm can't hold a candle to PocketPC or Smartphone. Admit it. It's old, cumbersome, ugly and the functionality sucks, unless youare willing to fork out a lot of extra dough to buy third party apps, but then there is no fluidity to the interfaces. Sure, boo me, but you know I am right. OS5 is great for hackers and programmers but not for the general tech public. It's time to grow up.

Third, the camera...Come on people, this is the same ccd that was in the Casio qv-10 in the late 80's! it's 15 years old! The quality on this camera sucks to the point I say 'why bother'. Do it right, put at least a 2Megapix camera in the thing and increase the color spread of the sensor to millions of colors. Also give the camera some functionality with some basic exposure settings. Quality sucks on this camera so much so that it is pointless.

Change these few things and they've got a winner. I'm putting my treo 600 on ebay, first chance I get.

Cheers,
    Craig
    Yes, Treo is not perfect, but it is better than anything else. It is a very thoughtful design and engineering done right. All others do not have an usable keyboard.

There are products full of features, but I appreciate a thoughtful product like Treo. I have a Treo 300 and I'm waiting for the next Treo with bluetooth. Once a Treo has BT, the small screen does not matter because you can easily use a larger screen device (such as a laptop or a PDA like the Samsung Nexio) in cases you do need a larger screen. Most of the time, the small screen is just fine and smaller size and longer battery life is far more important. I'd love to see a Treo with a 640x480 or larger screen; otherwise 160x160 w/ BT is better than 320x320.
    This isn't a troll attempt by PC-Mobile for someone that said it earlier. He's been active in the accessories forum because he's *hopefully* going to give us a stereo headset with microphone that works. The catch is that it appears he's in Hong Kong and has to deal with the insane international mark-ups.

I'd say most of the people on this board are in the US and most of the Treo 600 owners were able to get the upgrade deal for $399, plus some kind of service credit for signing another year, and whatever they could get for selling their previous phone. If you can do that, I'd say the 600 is a no-brainer, because you are spending between $100-200. However, if you've got no discounts and are going from the view of $700 for Treo 600 vs. say $150 for Treo 270 (just picking that number out of a hat), then I'd stick with the 270. Don't get me wrong, I listen to tons of mp3s, use the camera, 5-way, and appreciate the form factor. I also have found no problems with any of my applications running on OS5 at 160x160 (when they work for OS5 at all, which is a good 80-85% of them and 100% of the main ones I use).

I think you are better off having OS5 and 160x160 than OS4 and 160x160. If your fear is incompatibility, it shouldn't be an issue. But to answer the economics of it, well, I don't know what the competing phones are in HK. As far as I've seen, the Treo is the most complete package. Everything else is either brick-like or has no thumboard, in my experience (and no one has really pointed at anything to prove otherwise).
  11. purpleZ
    Originally posted by Pc-Mobile
    I personally would not pay half as much to get one as some were getting it for $700-850 (without contract)

It has a potential flaw in 160x160 and OS5.
    It would not be so bad if it was OS4 and 160x160.
    As it is, many software written for OS5 will not run in 160x160,
    And many software written for OS4 will not run in OS5.

Not to mention the peculiar design of the headset jack!
    I agree it's overpriced, but those prices will soon drop in the U.S. and prices are already quite reasonable in the U.K. A $300 Treo 600 is not a bad deal considering you're getting a phone, PDA, wireless modem and (crappy-but-always-with-you) digital camera all in one.

Regarding the OS version, personally, I prefer OS4 because I use a lot of hacks and most of my favorite apps are several years old. But time moves on and Palm can't afford to continue that "Zen of Palm"crap and watch their OS become obsolete. It will be interesting to see if Samsung went back to the drawing board and came up with their own version of the Treo 600 for next spring.
  12. purpleX
    Originally posted by Im So Unpopular

Would you have gotten the phone if you had to pay full price?
    It's a heretical question around here.
    with out a doubt this is the best pda/phone/handheld computer out there woth every penny, but then again I paid only $50 bucks! take care jay
    I paid the $399, and I'm really happy with that bargain. This thing is great! If you work out the cost in terms of hours a day you'll use it, I think it comes out pretty reasonable. I use it a minimum of 6 hours a day (which may increase now that I've begun using it as an mp3 deck to my home stereo). I don't use my tv, car or camera nearly that much, and they cost a whole lot more. As for its shortcomings, maybe I'm generous, but they just don't seem to be an issue for me. Well, it would be nice if the camera was better!