1.    #1  
    In the whole GSM/CDMA debate, are there any significant features one phone will have over the other? I will probably need to go with Sprint because TMobile has horrible service in the DC area and I wont invest in a phone that wont work.

Anything I really need to be aware of?
    Sounds like you already convinced yourself.
    CDMA - Faster transfer rates (2 to 5 times faster)

GSM/GPRS - Talk and surf at same time, includes decent email client, better sms (although sprint is rolling this out this year), world-wide coverage (especially with unlocked phone)

For me it was all about the bandwidth.
    Originally posted by dgoodisi
    ...snip...GSM/GPRS - Talk and surf at same time...snip...
    To clarify: GSM/GPRS allows a call to come in while you are surfing the internet. While you are talking, your data transfer is halted. It will resume once you hang up your call. So, actually, you CANNOT talk and surf at the same time.
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 11/07/2003 at 07:24 PM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Also GSM has way better battery life...
    T-Mobile offers an AIM over SMS service, and you can use AIM from any SMS enabled phone with it.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Speed, Coverage and cost

Sprint's data network is a lot faster than T-Mobile and of course is available over a greater coverage area.

Sprint has the largest coverage besides Verizon. T-Mo generally has worse coverage

Sprint has unlimited Vision for $15. I believe T-Mobile is $20/mo. Over a year contract that's $60 extra.
    -former
    When I wanted to uprade last year, I moved to Sprint from Cingular ... I had to have the 300 and they were the ticket.

Data is much faster (I use the net quite a bit) and the coverage for Sprint is so much more comprehensive. And the rates are much better.

The big problem I have with them is customer service ... it stinks.
    Have you ever actually used T-Mobile in the Washington Metro? I have used Sprint, AT&T and T-Mobile. The T-Mobile service is by far the best and their calling plans, particularly the family plans, considerably cheaper than Sprint. I agree that Sprint has better and cheaper data service so if that is a priority by all means go CDMA.

Whomever said Sprint customer service stinks has understated the case. T-Mobile's CS is probably as good as it gets, although their on-line offerings could stand improvement.

Despite having to wait and wait and wait to retire my GSM 270 for a 600, this DC Metro is not going back to Sprint, not on a bet.
    In my experience, not only is Sprint customer service bad, they are flat out dishonest. I had a horrible experience with them when I cancelled a phone with them. They claimed I hadn't cancelled the phone and kept charging me. They charged me late fees, and all sorts of stuff for three months even though they had disconnected the phone because I wasn't paying. I had moved and thought the disconnect had been taken care of adn was unaware of any charges.
    When I finally learned about what was going on, Sprint's attitude was "kiss our asses. pay us or we'll ruin your credit rating." They'd already made quite a mess of my credit rating and I refused to pay. I finally got them to back off, but it was amazing how ferociously they fought for money that they weren't really owed. I hadn't been using the phone and thought that the high school dropout at the Sprint store had cancelled my service. Apparently he hadn't. In short, do everything in writing with those Sprint scoundrels. What they did to me was basically extortion.
  11. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I don't think the data speed difference is that great or even noticable. I did some side-by-side testing with sprint and t-mobile browsing the same sites at the same time. Speed was about the same and sometime t-mobile was faster.
  12.    #12  
    I use TMobile now and cannot get more than 1 out of 5 bars in my apartment in Arlington, right in the middle of Clarendon.

To me, local coverage and data speed will be important. I guess it doesnt matter to me if someone calls and gets voice mail while I am online.

I will probably try Sprint and return it if its not what its cracked up to be. But I am probably easier going than most in terms of nit picking about the little things. Its such a kick-*** product I imagine myself being very happy with either choice.
    I have Sprint with my Treo 300 and T-Mobile with my Nokia 3650. I'm ditching the Sprint. If I have signal, I am more satisfied with the GSM performance. Even on the phone I don't notice any difference in speed with the browser. Ugh I can't type more.
    Originally posted by jsl94117
    In my experience, not only is Sprint customer service bad, they are flat out dishonest. I had a horrible experience with them when I cancelled a phone with them. They claimed I hadn't cancelled the phone and kept charging me. They charged me late fees, and all sorts of stuff for three months even though they had disconnected the phone because I wasn't paying. When I finally learned about what was going on, Sprint's attitude was "kiss our asses. pay us or we'll ruin your credit rating."
    I actually had the same thing happen, as did another friend of mine. They charged me for 6 months of service I never go. I don't know if I was stupid or just easily intimidated, but I paid.

I wouldn't go back to them for anything.
    Originally posted by BD1
    I don't think the data speed difference is that great or even noticable. I did some side-by-side testing with sprint and t-mobile browsing the same sites at the same time. Speed was about the same and sometime t-mobile was faster.
    Were you using the same device to browse both sites, like a Treo 270 and a Treo 300? If not, your test could be biased. Also, what were your speed ratings? I routinely get 100+kbps with Sprint Vision. I don't think GPRS is even capable of that speed right now, at least not with any device out in the US at the moment.
  16. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I was using a Sprint Treo 600 and a xda pocket pc phone on t-mobile. I returned the Sprint Treo 600 and am now using an unlocked GSM Treo 600 on t-mobile. The GSM Treo seems slightly faster than the xda.

Data speeds are fine in my area for typical phone/web browsing.