Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, I tried using an AT&T simcard, a T-Mobile simcard, and of course, a Cingular simcard in the "Cingularized" GSM Treo 600 that I've been using:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...light=tcc.html

The phone is not a cingular-centric as I thought.

I thought the phone was cingular-centric via the firmware - I had originally noticed two pre-existing network connection options ("Cingular" and "Cingular Express", ISDN and GPRS respectively). I also noticed that the "Web" application (formerly Blazer or "Cingular" on the 270) defaulted to a my Cingular homepage.

Well get this--here's what happened when I tried simcards from other companies in the phone:

T-Mobile Simcard
    Network Connections: "T-Mobile Internet", "T-Mobile VPN", and "T-Zones"
    Default homepage: I think it was the Handspring mobile site.

AT&T Simcard
    Network connections: "AWS GPRS"
    Default homepage: I didn't have time to check

I tried out the T-Mobile Internet and AWS GPRS connections. They both worked fine.

It was interesting to note that with the other company simcards inserted, the Cingular GPRS settings dissapeared, as well as the Cingular default homepage. So the Cingular settings don't appear to be in the firmware, as with the former Treo GSM phones.

What does that mean? Not much really, because I don't know if the phone I'm using will be exactly the same as the Cingular phone that ships (ie whether it will be locked). There were no Cingular docs in the box, there are no Cingular markings on the phone, and there is no Cingular logo upon startup (there's a Handspring Logo after the PalmOS Logo).
    Last edited by tcc; 11/07/2003 at 07:57 PM.
    Originally posted by tcc
    Well, I tried using an AT&T simcard, a T-Mobile simcard, and of course, a Cingular simcard in the "Cingularized" GSM Treo 600 that I've been trying out:

Hey, this is great info man. This is very good news. Excellent news indeed.

Thanks for testing all this out for us.

Cheers.
    I REALLY APPRECIATE YOU TESTING FOR US...

You are the man.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Tcc,

Thanks for confirming this, many others are reporting similar results with the cingular GSM..each report makes those waiting with SIMs more comfortable with their GSM order.

11/17 ship, correct all you GSM users...
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    tcc,

find anything else re: the cingular GSM we should be prepared for when we slip our Tmo SIMs in the 600GSM? Seems like it will be a breeze and there will be no reason to send a cingular GSM back if/when tmo version is released...although, most dong this probably will.
    Last edited by j$hort; 11/09/2003 at 08:23 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by j$hort
    tcc,

find anything else re: the cingular GSM we should be prepared for when we slip our Tmo SIMs in the 600GSM? Seems like it will be a breeze and there will be no reason to send a cingular GSM back if/when tmo version is released...although, most dong this probably will.
    Well, I didn't have too much time to try our the the simcards from AT&T and T-Mobile...(I really just popped into the stores and tried out the cards). Using the Cingular card though, it seems pretty good.

I'm happy other carriers' simcards work in the GSM 600. In light of Cingular's pathetic data plans, I'm thinking of switching over to T-Mobile on November 24th (number portability day)!

So yes, even though my tests with T-Mo and AT&T were quick, the phone seemed to place voice calls and establish data connections (at least via Web/Blazer) without any trouble. :-D
    Originally posted by tcc

Well, I didn't have too much time to try our the the simcards from AT&T and T-Mobile...(I really just popped into the stores and tried out the cards). Using the Cingular card though, it seems pretty good.

I'm happy other carriers' simcards work in the GSM 600. In light of Cingular's pathetic data plans, I'm thinking of switching over to T-Mobile on November 24th (number portability day)!

So yes, even though my tests with T-Mo and AT&T were quick, the phone seemed to place voice calls and establish data connections (at least via Web/Blazer) without any trouble. :-D
    Originally posted by tcc

to tcc--how do u compare cingular to tmo besides the data plan.i've never used any of their services and because of rollover minutes i'm leaning to cingular.what du think.
    by the way-i'll use the phone in nyc.
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by smartphonefan

to tcc--how do u compare cingular to tmo besides the data plan.i've never used any of their services and because of rollover minutes i'm leaning to cingular.what du think.
    by the way-i'll use the phone in nyc.
    Ok, here's a long winded explanation! :-)

I think that Cingular plans may be regional--that is, different plans may be offered for different prices in different regions of the US. Also, I'm not sure about T-Mo coverage in NYC. With that said, you might take this with a grain of salt:

When I was in the T-Mo store testing out the simcard in the 600, I compared the voice plans. In the Southern California market, Cingular offers approx 700 anytime minutes and 5000 nights/weekend minutes for $49.00 per month (with rollover of the 700 daytime minutes for a year, and which time the rollover minutes expire). This plan has been around for months and hasn't been updated. This is what I use now (Cingular Nation Plan). This is the plan closest to my calling habit.

For the same $49.00 price, FROM WHAT I WAS TOLD BY THE T-MO REP, T-Mo ( at least in in SoCal) is offering a special right now - 1000 anytime minutes and unlimited weekend minutes (with a 1 year contract).

I think the nights/weekend minutes start and end at approx. the same time of day as Cingular. Also, coverage is similar, because T-Mo (from what I understand), uses Cingular towers right now (at least in So Cal).

So the differences are thus:

* For the same price, T-Mo offers 300 more anytime minutes per month vs. Cingular's roll-over minutes. (to me, I think the extra minutes are more important that roll-over minutes--more on this below).
    * For the same price, T-Mo offers unlimited nights & weekend minutes, while Cingular offers about 5000 (to me, this is a moot point, as I never use close to 5000 minutes per month).

So the question is this: what's more important - 300 extra T-Mo anytime minutes per month (1000 vs 700) or the roll-over option of Cingular? I think I prefer more monthly minutes offered by T-Mo. Here's the reasoning: if you are using a Cingular plan closest to your actual phone usage (that is, without any waste of minutes of $$), then there shouldn't be substantial roll-over minutes. The number of minutes you purchase each month should just about equal the number of minutes you actually use. If you DO have tons extra minutes per month (which become roll-over minutes), then you are on the wrong Cingular plan for your particular calling habits (and thus, over-paying).

Using Cell Plan Tracker, I was able to tailor my Cingular plan to my actual calling habits to avoid wasting money. As such, I don't have very many roll-over minutes. So they are not that relevent to my decision (not to mention the fact that Cell Plan Tracker doesn't keep track of roll-over minutes, which never fails to confuse me).

So for me, based on the voice plans offered right now, my region, and my calling habits, I think the winner is T-Mo. Your mileage may vary! :-D
    Last edited by tcc; 11/09/2003 at 11:49 PM.
    Originally posted by tcc

Ok, here's a long winded explanation! :-)

I think that Cingular plans may be regional--that is, different plans may be offered for different prices in different regions of the US. Also, I'm not sure about T-Mo coverage in NYC. With that said, you might take this with a grain of salt:

When I was in the T-Mo store testing out the simcard in the 600, I compared the voice plans. In the Southern California market, Cingular offers approx 700 anytime minutes and 5000 nights/weekend minutes for $49.00 per month (with rollover of the 700 daytime minutes for a year, and which time the rollover minutes expire). This plan has been around for months and hasn't been updated. This is what I use now (Cingular Nation Plan). This is the plan closest to my calling habit.

For the same $49.00 price, FROM WHAT I WAS TOLD BY THE T-MO REP, T-Mo ( at least in in SoCal) is offering a special right now - 1000 anytime minutes and unlimited weekend minutes (with a 1 year contract).

I think the nights/weekend minutes start and end at approx. the same time of day as Cingular. Also, coverage is similar, because T-Mo (from what I understand), uses Cingular towers right now (at least in So Cal).

So the differences are thus:

* For the same price, T-Mo offers 300 more anytime minutes per month vs. Cingular's roll-over minutes. (to me, I think the extra minutes are more important that roll-over minutes--more on this below).
    * For the same price, T-Mo offers unlimited nights & weekend minutes, while Cingular offers about 5000 (to me, this is a moot point, as I never use close to 5000 minutes per month).

So the question is this: what's more important - 300 extra T-Mo anytime minutes per month (1000 vs 700) or the roll-over option of Cingular? I think I prefer more monthly minutes offered by T-Mo. Here's the reasoning: if you are using a Cingular plan closest to your actual phone usage (that is, without any waste of minutes of $$), then there shouldn't be substantial roll-over minutes. The number of minutes you purchase each month should just about equal the number of minutes you actually use. If you DO have tons extra minutes per month (which become roll-over minutes), then you are on the wrong Cingular plan for your particular calling habits (and thus, over-paying).

Using Cell Plan Tracker, I was able to tailor my Cingular plan to my actual calling habits to avoid wasting money. As such, I don't have very many roll-over minutes. So they are not that relevent to my decision (not to mention the fact that Cell Plan Tracker doesn't keep track of roll-over minutes, which never fails to confuse me).

So for me, based on the voice plans offered right now, my region, and my calling habits, I think the winner is T-Mo. Your mileage may vary! :-D

thanx tcc for ur well explained thoughts.

here's my scenario--

i'm planning to take a family plan which from-- cingular-- i'm getting 500 min for 39.99 (19.99 for the second phone,makes it 59.99) whereas for 59.99 i'll be getting 400 min from tmo(49.99 for plan and additional 9.99 for making it unlimited nights,unfortunately that doesn't come with plan)

both comes with virtually unlimited n/w and unlimited mob to mob.

both has more or less the same service quality in nyc (so far i came to know from actual users)

i'm not of that much min user honestly buy thats the lowest plan i get.

moreover,for additional 3.99 -- cingular provides wireless internet where i can use my rollover minutes (if any-- pilled up over months).

that became my bottom line .

pick me if i'm wrong.
    moreover,for additional 3.99 -- cingular provides wireless internet where i can use my rollover minutes (if any-- pilled up over months).
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Cingular$ $does$ $not$ $have$ $a$ $data$ $plan$ $that$ $allows$ $you$ $to$ $use$ $your$ $minutes$ $for$ $data$. $They$ $charge$ $by$ $the$ $MB$ $and$ $it$'$s$ $quite$ $expensive$. $This$ $is$ $my$ $main$ $complaint$ $with$ $them$, $as$ $according$ $to$ $a$ $GSM$ $web$ $site$ $I$'$ve$ $seen$, $Cingular$'$s$ $coverage$ $is$ $much$ $more$ $extensive$ $than$ $T$-$Mobile$'$s$ $in$ $CT$. $So$, $for$ $my$ $needs$, $they$ $both$ $suck$ $and$ $Sprint$ $would$ $seem$ $to$ $be$ $the$ $better$ $choice$ $in$ $CT$.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Originally posted by Scott R
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Cingular$ $does$ $not$ $have$ $a$ $data$ $plan$ $that$ $allows$ $you$ $to$ $use$ $your$ $minutes$ $for$ $data$. $They$ $charge$ $by$ $the$ $MB$ $and$ $it$'$s$ $quite$ $expensive$. $This$ $is$ $my$ $main$ $complaint$ $with$ $them$, $as$ $according$ $to$ $a$ $GSM$ $web$ $site$ $I$'$ve$ $seen$, $Cingular$'$s$ $coverage$ $is$ $much$ $more$ $extensive$ $than$ $T$-$Mobile$'$s$ $in$ $CT$. $So$, $for$ $my$ $needs$, $they$ $both$ $suck$ $and$ $Sprint$ $would$ $seem$ $to$ $be$ $the$ $better$ $choice$ $in$ $CT$.

Scott
    T-Mobile offers an unlimited data plan for $19.99
    The only one who can beat that is Sprint as far as I know.
    Originally posted by Scott R

Scott

about cingular data plan--

i checked cingular website where they showed 2 kinds of internet service--WIRELESS INTERNET and WIRELESS INTERNET EXPRESS--(from cingular website---home>phones & accessories>wireless internet>pricing).

the former will be eating ur plan minutes(anytime,n/w i guess)
    the later one,express, won't do the same but will be using the amount of data plan(MB/month).

it also says wireless internet is available where express isn't accessible.what does it mean ? if my area provides express(nyc,which actually does) i cann't take wireless internet for 3.99/month?

i tried to clear this matter with the sales dept but they weren't much of help.

i actually need to hear from a real user of this service.
    I'm not a real user, but I'll play one in this thread.

Wireless Internet Express = GPRS
    Wireless Internet = dial-up over GSM

If they have GPRS access available in your area, that's all they'll let you use, apparently, and you have to pay per MB. If you're "lucky enough" not to have GPRS in your area, you can use dial-up, but you'll need to have your own dial-up ISP (which, if you're a cable modem or DSL user you may not have) and the speeds will be slower (I think we're talking like 9600 baud).

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  15.    #15  

about cingular data plan--

i checked cingular website where they showed 2 kinds of internet service--WIRELESS INTERNET and WIRELESS INTERNET EXPRESS--(from cingular website---home>phones & accessories>wireless internet>pricing).

the former will be eating ur plan minutes(anytime,n/w i guess)
    the later one,express, won't do the same but will be using the amount of data plan(MB/month).

it also says wireless internet is available where express isn't accessible.what does it mean ? if my area provides express(nyc,which actually does) i cann't take wireless internet for 3.99/month?

i tried to clear this matter with the sales dept but they weren't much of help.

You can use both, actually. :-) Wireless Internet uses your phone as a "modem". It uses up minutes (and valueable battery time). Wireless Internet Express is actually GPRS service - faster "always-on" Internet access that doesn't use up minutes or battery time. It's a more advanced service, and not always available where there is standard Cingular voice (and hence, Wireless Internet "modem") service. Again, via GPRS, you are charged via data used. You can connect to the Internet using either method (indeed, those are the two connection options within the Treo 600 GSM network configuration screen).

I never use Wireless Internet unless Express is unavailable, or it's at night or the weekend, I'm plugged in, and I'd rather use some of the 5000 minutes rather than the valuable data reserve (GPRS isn't a good deal on Cingular).

Concerning who to go with, in your situation, I think it would be a toss up since you won't be using very many minutes based on your message above. So maybe roll-over (and the extra phone) might even out the two rivals or push Cingular out ahead. It's a tough decision. :-)
    Thanks!

Can you post the settings for these network connections, in case any one of us has to recreate them manually?

Originally posted by tcc
    Well, I tried using an AT&T simcard, a T-Mobile simcard, and of course, a Cingular simcard in the "Cingularized" GSM Treo 600 that I've been using:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...light=tcc.html

T-Mobile Simcard
    Network Connections: "T-Mobile Internet", "T-Mobile VPN", and "T-Zones"
    Default homepage: I think it was the Handspring mobile site.

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Just for the record, I've been a tmo customer since the days of the visor phone..and have used the same (then voicestream)SIM in about 3-4 different devices regularly. I love being able to just swap the SIM. Tmo has been very good to me here in Boston. I have a very low minute plan with tmo as I spend most of my time sms messaging. Tmo bumped up my minutes, replaced a Treo 180 and provided a loner to me all for no charge. I have noticed that with each newer device, any connection issues have decreased..and I hope the 600 holds the line.

I recently noticed a federal portability monthly charge on my wife's at&t plan. One dude at work has been paying a similar charge on nextel (I think) for the past year! My Tmo rep let me know that there are no plans to add a like charge to tmo accounts...I'll be switching my lady's at&t account to tmo on 11/24 to keep the same #..and once she sees the 600..I'll be looking to get another.

I plan to look into the data services with tmo when my 600 arrives, I may be able to get away with bumping up my sms messaging limit and a wifi SD card for home and office.
  18. MrH
    So if I read this thread right...being a Rogers AT&T customer north of the border, if I order a Cingular unit with my Treo 270 serial number and have it shipped to my family in the US who would then ship it to me...I could just pop in my Rogers SIM and setup the appropriate settings and away I go...no visual customizations on the unit (even startup screen) and the unit will just 'work'?

If that's the case I am gonna place my order...

thanks to those that reply to this query directly!

M@
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    H, or should I call you MrH?

That is the indications we are getting here. I am in a similar situation with respect to owning a SIM and looking for a 600 I can use it in. IN my case I ordered a cingular GSM from handspring (palmone) which is supposed to be shipped on 11/17. I used my Treo 180 serial # and got the $399 deal. I'd recommend doing this based on reports in this forum. I believe there is a 30 day no hassle return deal also.
    I'd hate to miss the upgrade deal. The cingular one ends on 11/24

Also, my 180 came from a provider in Canada that was selling on ebay...I just popped my tmobile SIM in when received and it worked no problem..not sure if he was a tmobile dealer or even if tmo is available in the great white north...
    Originally posted by tcc
    Well, T-Mobile Simcard
    Network Connections: "T-Mobile Internet", "T-Mobile VPN", and "T-Zones" Default homepage: I think it was the Handspring mobile site.

I tried out the T-Mobile Internet and AWS GPRS connections. They both worked fine.
    Good enough for me, I'm tired of waiting for the T-mobile approved version of the GSM, I just placed my order with Palm One, heres to prompt shipping come the 17th.

I appreciate the info.........
    No good deed goes unpunished
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast