Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I had a friend call Handspring to have his 180 serviced/replaced. He called Handspring and they agreed the unit could be replaced at no charge - per the service agreement. Then Handspring put him on hold while they forwarded the call to TMobile. The TMobile rep took him through the actual replacement process.

Is Handspring getting out of the sales/support business - like some phone manufacturers?

Could this be the last Treo to be purchased directly from Handspring?

If I buy the Cingular phone then switch to TMobile later, will the new carrier support the Treo as if I bought it from them? Or will I have the support call of my life - hold, forward, hold, forward, hold, forward...
    Originally posted by treoPower
    I had a friend call Handspring to have his 180 serviced/replaced. He called Handspring and they agreed the unit could be replaced at no charge - per the service agreement. Then Handspring put him on hold while they forwarded the call to TMobile. The TMobile rep took him through the actual replacement process.

If I buy the Cingular phone then switch to TMobile later, will the new carrier support the Treo as if I bought it from them? Or will I have the support call of my life - hold, forward, hold, forward, hold, forward...
    I had a similar experience and asked this same question in another thread, but have not gotten a satisfactory answer yet. This is the main reason I can't bring myself to order the Cingular phone, although I weaken a bit as every day goes by.
  3. MrH
    Originally posted by j$hort
    H, or should I call you MrH?

That is the indications we are getting here. I am in a similar situation with respect to owning a SIM and looking for a 600 I can use it in. IN my case I ordered a cingular GSM from handspring (palmone) which is supposed to be shipped on 11/17. I used my Treo 180 serial # and got the $399 deal. I'd recommend doing this based on reports in this forum. I believe there is a 30 day no hassle return deal also.
    I'd hate to miss the upgrade deal. The cingular one ends on 11/24

Also, my 180 came from a provider in Canada that was selling on ebay...I just popped my tmobile SIM in when received and it worked no problem..not sure if he was a tmobile dealer or even if tmo is available in the great white north...
    j$hort,

Actually MrH are my initals...I'll let you figure out the rest from the way that I sign my name.

Thanks for the advice...and exactly what I was pondering...I mean if the Cingularization isn't 'that' bad then I'm willing to take the plunge.

I don't want to miss the $399 either...hence the urgency of my request for info, it works out to cost $650 CDN (after US taxes, shipping, accessories) which isn't 'too' bad considering everything...but no way am I willing to drop over $1k CDN on a device if I have to pay $600 USD + shipping + duties.

Anyhow here's to crossing my fingers that all will be ok when the devices ships out!

M@
    t-mo handling exchanges has been the case for a while now.

handspring woul do the trouble shooting and then pass you off to your carrier. if you try to directly go to your carrier, they will do some trouble shooting, hand you off to handspring who will then hand you back to your carrier to get the phone replaced.

this becomes an issue if you had an original unlocked 270.

you can expect that the 600 will be handled the same way. you may run into touble if the serial numbers are coded to the carrier. will t-mo tell you that they wont help you because you have a cingular phone?

this is the chance you take.

i had an original 270 that couldn't do the grps update. called handspring. they transfered me to t-mo for a new phone. all went well until i broke the screen. I had the one yr warrantly from handspring, but they couldn't exchange the phone because it had a t-mo serial number and thier system would not take it. after more back and forth, handspring said they would replace it. now i'm back to a non branded phone.

i'm not willing to take that chance right now, especially if it will be within a week of cingular shipping that the t-mo will start offering.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by Felipe
    t-mo handling exchanges has been the case for a while now.

handspring woul do the trouble shooting and then pass you off to your carrier. if you try to directly go to your carrier, they will do some trouble shooting, hand you off to handspring who will then hand you back to your carrier to get the phone replaced.

this becomes an issue if you had an original unlocked 270.

you can expect that the 600 will be handled the same way. you may run into touble if the serial numbers are coded to the carrier. will t-mo tell you that they wont help you because you have a cingular phone?

this is the chance you take.

i had an original 270 that couldn't do the grps update. called handspring. they transfered me to t-mo for a new phone. all went well until i broke the screen. I had the one yr warrantly from handspring, but they couldn't exchange the phone because it had a t-mo serial number and thier system would not take it. after more back and forth, handspring said they would replace it. now i'm back to a non branded phone.

i'm not willing to take that chance right now, especially if it will be within a week of cingular shipping that the t-mo will start offering.
    I had a problem with my 270 about three months ago (purchased from Handspring) while I was at my local t-mobile store I mentioned it to the sales rep. she said that the could exchange the phone, I mentioned to her that I didn't purchase the phone through tmobile, she said it didn't matter as long as it was a phone they were currently handling. Long story short, she gave me a toll free number to call, the sent me out an exchange phone, had it 2nd day after the call, I returned my phone in the included package, Tmobile had me keep the sim door (w/serial number) to my original unit. It was never an issue.

I went ahead and pre-ordered the Cingular T600 GSM, although I still hope the the T-Mobile GSM is available the 24th I have no faith that this will be the case. The last message that I received from a Tmobile CSR stated that Tmobile engineers still had not officially approved the Treo 600.

That topic is covered at length on the following thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t41331/s.html

With Cingular, and now AT&T rolling out, Why is T-mobile still dragging their feet?
    No good deed goes unpunished
    Originally posted by tcc
    It was interesting to note that with the other company simcards inserted, the Cingular GPRS settings dissapeared, as well as the Cingular default homepage. So the Cingular settings don't appear to be in the firmware, as with the former Treo GSM phones.

I dont think the GPRS settings are ever in the SIM card, they never are. The only conclusion could be that Handspring has created a table of GPRS settings for US(or other providers), which would be a config file...and depending on the SIM....the appropriate GPRS settings r loaded.

-Anshul
    Originally posted by Scott R
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Cingular$ $does$ $not$ $have$ $a$ $data$ $plan$ $that$ $allows$ $you$ $to$ $use$ $your$ $minutes$ $for$ $data$. $They$ $charge$ $by$ $the$ $MB$ $and$ $it$'$s$ $quite$ $expensive$. $This$ $is$ $my$ $main$ $complaint$ $with$ $them$, $as$ $according$ $to$ $a$ $GSM$ $web$ $site$ $I$'$ve$ $seen$, $Cingular$'$s$ $coverage$ $is$ $much$ $more$ $extensive$ $than$ $T$-$Mobile$'$s$ $in$ $CT$. $So$, $for$ $my$ $needs$, $they$ $both$ $suck$ $and$ $Sprint$ $would$ $seem$ $to$ $be$ $the$ $better$ $choice$ $in$ $CT$.

Scott
    Not only that, but Cingular does NOT have a smtp server. Unless you subscribe to a email service with SMTP authentication, you can not send email from the TREO with Cingular service.

The other cell carriers have email SMTP services.

I use eudora and setup it up using my ISP's pop server to check my email. My ISP requires that I be on their network when I send email, otherwise their SMTP server rejects the email.

When I use my TREO 270, with TMobile, I am on the TMobile network. I setup the Pop server to check my ISP, but send the email using TMobiles SMTP server. I have the return address set to my email at my ISP. Works great.

The only real cell phone advantage for Cingualr is their "Family" share rates (with GSM phones) and the rollover plan.

The other Cingular Advantage is the GAIT phones like the Nokia 6340i, NOT a smartphone. It does have GSM 850/1900, TDMA 800, and AMPS 800 coverage. It works just about everywhere. The plan is a NO Roaming charge national plan.

I only wish that Handspring included AMPS 800 with the Treo 600 so the phone would work in areas without GSM coverage in the US.
    Originally posted by Smartphone Fan

The other Cingular Advantage is the GAIT phones like the Nokia 6340i, NOT a smartphone. It does have GSM 850/1900, TDMA 800, and AMPS 800 coverage. It works just about everywhere. The plan is a NO Roaming charge national plan.

I only wish that Handspring included AMPS 800 with the Treo 600 so the phone would work in areas without GSM coverage in the US.
    Excellent point. I live in an area where Cingular has excellent coverage, but not GSM. Ihave been reasonably satisifed with T-Mo coverage, but would love to have the ability with AMPS 800 to use when there is no GSM coverage.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12