Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    I've decided to wait for the SGH-I500, which should be available in the next two months for the following reasons:

    1. No option to view phone book by company name with Treo version of palm os. (I have over 1600 contacts, and need to view them buy customer name, and not first or last name. I also sync with act so third party soft ware usually complicates things and doesn’t work reliably.)

    2. GSM Treo T-Mo Not Available Yet. (May have purchased if it were available with the CDMA version because of the hype, but no more!

    3. No voice recorder

    4. Display Resolution

    5. I like Graffiti !


    Can any one give me good reasons to wait for the T-mo GSM version given the features of the Samsung Smart Phone?

    As I'm in sales and on the phone a lot, I'm not partial to Clamshell designs, however given the features of this phone it seems a worthwhile trade off.

    Thanks to all.
    Last edited by dvkim; 11/07/2003 at 11:33 PM.
  2. #2  
    If you do any messaging at all then the decision comes down to one word...Keyboard!
  3.    #3  
    I take it you don't like the virtual keyboard?
  4. #4  
    1. If you are in the phone app, move the 5way to the left (if it's set that way) and type away (or use Graffiti (see point 5)). You can type first Inital, then last inital you can even just spell the first name, or just spell the last name. You can also view the list by "all" or what ever you save each contact as.

    2. Cingular has it, it's probably just around the corner, faster then waintg for the i500 I assume?

    3. GIve it time, I am sure someone will make an app for it?

    4. It really looks good, i was suprised, better then the T300 IMHO.

    5. Graffiti Anywhere and you can even go back to Graffiti 1, like I did.

    Just my 2-cents worth, Matt Burkhard:shortcut:
  5. #5  
    Originally posted by dvkim
    I take it you don't like the virtual keyboard?
    Never had much use for virtual keayborads. The built in keyboards was a primary prerequisite of mine for an all in one device. Anything without was a non-starter and the Treo 600 is head and shoulders above its closest competitor as far as I am concerned.
  6. 7ss
    7ss is offline
    7ss's Avatar
    Posts
    24 Posts
    #6  
    The SGH-i500 is not going to be released at all in the U.S. so you'll have to buy one in Europe. The U.S. model is going to be the SGH-i505 which only supports 160x160 resolution. Neither model is going to be available within the next few months. You're at least 4-6 months away from release and the SGH-i500 has been delayed so many times that it may never make it to market. It's a nice phone (based on specs) but it's really hard to take Samsung seriously about any of this considering they announced it over 18 months ago and still aren't close to releasing it.
  7. #7  
    Originally posted by dvkim


    5. I like Graffiti !


    Can any one give me good reasons to wait for the T-mo GSM version given the features of the Samsung Smart Phone?

    Your concerns about graffiti, my first reaction was the same but, after using the (excellent) keyboard for two weeks now, I can assure you that you'll be twice as fast with the keys than with grafitti.

    I also was shocked when I saw I had to live with this 'sick' Outlook style of addresses but there is a top class feature: just start typing the name and automatically you get where you want to be.
    If it doesn't work, search for it (just two keys to push) and you get there.

    I just had a quick look at this I500 this. Don't you think it's more a phone with a piece of a Palm in it instead of the Treo: Real phone & Real Palm?

    I also would fear that hovering over the keyboard to write grafitti will not be a pleasure.

    But on the other hand, one doesn't argue about taste

    Bye,

    Ton
  8. #8  
    Price is one factor why I have chosen the Treo 600. $399 for the Treo (phone and pda) is better than $399 for T3 (great PDA) and another substantial amount for a good bluetooth phone. What will the price be on the Samsung phone?

    Plus, I can get the Treo without a new cell phone contract. That's important to me, especially with number portability changes coming soon.

    Oh, and the keyboard is much easier for jotting a quick note or appointment - no messing with the stylus.
  9. #9  
    SGH-i500

    if you'd had heard the bug reports on the earlier iterations of Samsung's Palm smartphones attempts, you wouldn't have even considered it.

    As to actually getting it, if you wait till 2010, maybe they would consider bringing it to market. It would be just in time for Olympics in Vancouver too!

    As to the SGH-i505, you could expect that in year 2505.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    1. If you are in the phone app, move the 5way to the left (if it's set that way) and type away (or use Graffiti (see point 5)). You can type first Inital, then last inital you can even just spell the first name, or just spell the last name. You can also view the list by "all" or what ever you save each contact as.

    2. Cingular has it, it's probably just around the corner, faster then waintg for the i500 I assume?

    3. GIve it time, I am sure someone will make an app for it?

    4. It really looks good, i was suprised, better then the T300 IMHO.

    5. Graffiti Anywhere and you can even go back to Graffiti 1, like I did.

    Just my 2-cents worth, Matt Burkhard:shortcut:
    1. How does this let you look up by company name?
  11. #11  
    Originally posted by dvkim


    1. How does this let you look up by company name?
    I think the confusion here is that you said "customer" instead of "company" in your original post:

    "1. No option to view phone book by customer name with Treo version of palm os. (I have over 1600 contacts, and need to view them buy customer name, and not first or last name."
    --Inspector Gadget

    "Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

    Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  12. #12  
    Originally posted by dvkim
    I've decided to wait for the SGH-I500, which should be available in the next two months for the following reasons:

    1. No option to view phone book by customer name with Treo version of palm os. (I have over 1600 contacts, and need to view them buy customer name, and not first or last name. I also sync with act so third party soft ware usually complicates things and doesn’t work reliably.)

    2. GSM Treo T-Mo Not Available Yet. (May have purchased if it were available with the CDMA version because of the hype, but no more!

    3. No voice recorder

    4. Display Resolution

    5. I like Graffiti !


    Can any one give me good reasons to wait for the T-mo GSM version given the features of the Samsung Smart Phone?

    As I'm in sales and on the phone a lot, I'm not partial to Clamshell designs, however given the features of this phone it seems a worthwhile trade off.

    Thanks to all.
    i seriously considered the samsung as well, since i'm in sales i can relate to some of your needs.

    to be sure, a voice recorder is needed. it can be done and i suspect it will
    be offered as an app soon.

    i use jot. hand writing is fine. having a key board as an option is also nice although i to prefer jot.

    speaker phone could be better but it is a needed feature by me .speaking while making an appt. or taking down info is essential.

    i've seen the the sph 500 screen it is too small for my liking and in daylight it is not as good as the treo 600.

    i'm also concerned with samsung clam shell design. it appears and feels less user friendly.

    looking up contacts or companies i don't have a problem with. contact name or company the name shows up. just start spelling it works fine.

    the 5 way nav is a feature that once used makes a return to a stylus somewhat frustrating.

    the treo 600 needs a few things in my mind. better speakers and a voice recorder. software apps also need to catch up. the 600 is not a perfect sales tool but for me it is closer then the samsungs.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 11/07/2003 at 10:34 PM.
  13. #13  
    I like the Treo's search function but when I had the i500 I used the TakePhone app which I believe would give you the search functionality you are looking for:

    http://www.shsh.com/

    Cory
  14.    #14  
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Insp_Gadget
    [B]

    I think the confusion here is that you said "customer" instead of "company" in your original post:

    Good Call Gadget, My mistake. Edited.
  15. Rusty J's Avatar
    Posts
    178 Posts
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    #15  
    When the Treo 600 was being derided as "vaporware" when being compared to other smartphones.
    It's an interesting change to be able to discuss them with the Treo being the actual hardware in use and the other devices still on the drawing boards...
    Now, if T-Mobile would get off it's collective derriere and release the dang thing on THEIR network!

    Rusty J
    Treo 270 (AT&T, but unlocked)
  16. #16  
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by dvkim
    [B][QUOTE]Originally posted by Insp_Gadget


    I think the confusion here is that you said "customer" instead of "company" in your original post:

    Good Call Gadget, My mistake. Edited.
    [/QUO

    i think the confusion here is over the confusion
    Last edited by JTREOB; 11/08/2003 at 12:34 AM.
  17. #17  
    Originally posted by Rusty J
    When the Treo 600 was being derided as "vaporware" when being compared to other smartphones.
    It's an interesting change to be able to discuss them with the Treo being the actual hardware in use and the other devices still on the drawing boards...
    Now, if T-Mobile would get off it's collective derriere and release the dang thing on THEIR network!

    Rusty J
    Treo 270 (AT&T, but unlocked)
    The GSM version is STILL American vaporware. Not a single GSM has been sold and delivered to an end user yet.

    I think it is wrong to chide T-Mo about getting off their derriere. So far, it seems, they are NOT ALONE. And even the one company that has jumped through every HS hoop can't seem to get HS to do more than a false roll-out, taking orders for shipping 2-3 weeks out. And HS's recent experience with 2-3 week time frames indicate that they don't move. It's very possible that 2-3 weeks later they will still be quoting 2-3 weeks, telling you nothing has changed.

    I have NEVER had a problem with T-Mo. They are consistently rated tops in customer service, and my experience mirrors that.
  18. #18  
    Originally posted by heberman
    Price is one factor why I have chosen the Treo 600. $399 for the Treo (phone and pda) is better than $399 for T3 (great PDA) and another substantial amount for a good bluetooth phone. What will the price be on the Samsung phone?

    Plus, I can get the Treo without a new cell phone contract. That's important to me, especially with number portability changes coming soon.

    Oh, and the keyboard is much easier for jotting a quick note or appointment - no messing with the stylus.
    how do you get a treo for $399. without a contract?
    Ben
  19. #19  
    DvKim,
    All my "Company" contacts are entered as such. Seeing it's a Company listing, and not a carbon life form listing, I enter the company name in the company field (as I am making a new entry to the contact list) and I select Company as the catagorey (you know, the pull down on the top right, you have to add "company" to the list BTW). Then I enter all the info like numbers and address.

    So that way, I can just start to type the company name in, when I select the Contact App (if you will) and it pulls it up. If I need info about people that work there, like contacts at the company, I put them in the "note" section of that "contact".

    Now this is just my opinion (and you know the old saying...LOL )
    But either you know the person and who they work for, therefore you would pull that up under ones name. Or you don't know the person, it's a company and you would leave "first" and "last" name out, seeing it's a company. But as far as contacts at the company or tiltles and rolls, I use the note section.

    Know I do see what your getting at, now that you made it clear you want Company name, not customer name. Yes, it would be nice to be able to fill anyting out and tell each entry, what to use for the "search" function (ie. Name, address or Company or other).

    So I guess this is more of a not so good work around in your case. It suits me fine, but I see your view too.

    Good luck..

    BTW, I would guess there would be a third part app somewhere you could find to do this, but I don't know how well it would intergrate with the Phone?
  20. #20  
    Originally posted by ben klieger

    how do you get a treo for $399. without a contract?
    You buy the phone directly from Handspring/PalmOne through their upgrade program. You need a Treo 180 or 270 or 300 for the serial number to use with the upgrade. You can get one of these units cheap on ebay. (I have two broken 180's I may sell so people can use them to upgrade). Price: $399, unlocked (so they say), and no contract.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions