Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Fellow Aussie,

Does anyone have the latest shipping dates and pricing on the T600 for Australia?

Will all carriers, Telstra, Optus, Vodafone or 3 network carry them?

I'm thinking of asking a friend to buy unlock Treo 600 from USA and send it here. Do you think that's a good idea since it's cheaper (weak US dollar)? Will the carriers support it?

I remember wanting to buy the newest color Blackberry from the USA, but Telstra BB rep told me not to because it's not configured for Australia to work with Telstra. So i am still waiting for the BB release.

Thanks!
    I agree - Handspring and all the carriers (not just Telstra) have been very laxadazical(?) about keeping customers informed about the release date of the Treo600 in Australia.

I did speak to Telstra and they informed me that the Treo 600 will be able to be used on the Australian network. But, I'm hoping someone will release it on a plan basis.

Any help on this would be great.
  3.    #3  
    I am also waiting for the plans release because hopefully, they can subsidize the cost of the phone a bit to make it more affordable.

The worry for me buying a US T600 is "Support". Imagine me calling my service provider and them saying that they cannot provide technical support because they dont even carry the phone yet!

Let's pray....someone else brings us good news to us down under.
  4.    #4  
    read this from local Australian Palm Group forum that the T600 might be delayed for us Aussie to the end of November! still pending network approval.

So far latest pricing info seem to stablize at AU$1299.

Let's hope we get some subsidizes from telco with a contract.

Has anyone out there got better info than this to share?
  5. AJB
    I have been following everything I can on the Australian situation.

Read these Threads.

AJB
    Q: How do you make God laugh?
    A: Tell Him your plans :-)
  6.    #6  
    Hi ABJ,

thanks for the links! but it seems that things are quiet for the last week or so. No sure if no news is good news for us?

All these hype truly reminds me of what i went through when i was the second person in line to buy the US$500 O2/XDA PDA phone when it first came out in the US. (only 8 units were available in the store that morning). I sold my XDA 3 months later on ebay because i was tired of the bugs and the fact that i couldn't really use it like a regular phone when i need it to be one. Dont get me wrong, i was the early adopter that was glued to the XDA forums just to get the thing to work as it should be....

as the days goes by without the T600, my flame to get one is slowing dying...partially because i think the price at $1300 is too much for me to swallow (considering i can get a brand new XP laptop for the same price). On the other hand, why i am so excited about the T600 is actually the SIZE of the handheld. I think this one might be the true convergence of PDA/Phone because it's managable to carry around town without looking like a fashion geek. It's not geeky, it's COOL.

BTW, i am seriously considering buying an unlocked one in the US and asking a friend to bring it home (when he visits me in December). But i am not sure if all functions such as GPRS can work if i pop an Australian SIM into it? Will Optus or other carriers support it? Maybe you know....
  7. AJB
    gelco,
    I think no news is no news. I wouldn't be surprised to find yet another delay at end of November.

I agree with you on all counts, and the size & integration is what has me hanging on.

It turns out my manager is off to Malaysia this week and has agreed to purchase one in KL for me. I've given him a wishlist that adds up to about the same as the AU RRP, and it includes case, 128Mb SD card, WiFi card, travel adapters and USB Charge/Sync cable.

Hopefully I'll have it in my hands Monday week on his return.

AJB
    I have it on good authority (from a reseller web page) that the RRP is actually $1400 (!!!) and its availability is in 20 days...

But the good news is reseller buy price (inc) is about $1000.

Going to place my backorder ASAP :-)
  9. AJB
    Originally posted by pchacker
    I have it on good authority (from a reseller web page) that the RRP is actually $1400 (!!!) and its availability is in 20 days...

But the good news is reseller buy price (inc) is about $1000.

Going to place my backorder ASAP :-)
    given that you can pre order from Organiser World for $1299 and get a free 64Mb Card AND Car charger, or fromCalculator King and get a free 64Mb card, why would you pay $1400?

AJB
    Originally posted by AJB

given that you can pre order from Organiser World for $1299 and get a free 64Mb Card AND Car charger, or fromCalculator King and get a free 64Mb card, why would you pay $1400?

AJB
    Well the $1400 was the RRP - Recommended Retail Price - doesnt mean you have to sell at RRP (I know its hard to believe but OW might be selling less than RRP with the extras)

Also - who said I would be paying $1400 - try $1000 (reseller price) :-)

Anyway - what I have told you is the info on the resellers web page. Beleive at your own risk.

Ta - Shaun
  11. AJB
    Originally posted by pchacker

Well the $1400 was the RRP - Recommended Retail Price - doesnt mean you have to sell at RRP (I know its hard to believe but OW might be selling less than RRP with the extras)

Also - who said I would be paying $1400 - try $1000 (reseller price) :-)

Anyway - what I have told you is the info on the resellers web page. Beleive at your own risk.

Ta - Shaun
    Ok, so three things...

Firstly, both OW & CK confirmed to me that the RRP was 1299, so someone is out by $100.

Secondly, how about the link to this reseller page. It's nice to keep track of AU sites with it for sale,

Thirdly, it's great that you can get it for the reseller price. Obviously you have a relationship there you can use. Have you thought about discussing with them a deal for the good people at AUSPUG who have been looking for a group purchase / discount?, or letting the AUSPUG forum know about this page / reseller?

AJB
  12.    #12  
    AJB, please give us a mini review of your T600 when you get it ok? envious of you already!

Will the price fluctuate lower if i sign a contract with the telco?
    I kind of doubt it given the demand right now....
    Available in stock over here at US$849 (approx AU$1250),
    http://www.doml.com/product.asp?id=1081
  14. ctb
    I got mine in Singapore a few weeks ago, I was sick of waiting, works perfectly in Australia on both Optus and Telstra. It ended up costing AUD$1170.

It replaced my P800 in the first day.

CTB
    As a current Treo 270 owner I'm waiting for the unlocked GSM upgrade offer from Handspring. For US$399 & a US shipping address it is worth it. Luckily I have a friend who will accept delivery.

US$399 at a .70 exchange rate is AU$570 so half the AU RRP of $1299.

But we have to wait & wait for US GSM carriers to have their versions out before the unlocked version is sold. I want it before Xmas!

Cheers
    VikingBrad
  16. AJB
    Originally posted by VikingBrad
    As a current Treo 270 owner I'm waiting for the unlocked GSM upgrade offer from Handspring. For US$399 & a US shipping address it is worth it. Luckily I have a friend who will accept delivery.

US$399 at a .70 exchange rate is AU$570 so half the AU RRP of $1299.

But we have to wait & wait for US GSM carriers to have their versions out before the unlocked version is sold. I want it before Xmas!

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    The Cingular version is apparently unlocked, and you can buy it by saying you will keep your existing contract. I assume you could then get the upgrade discount. Of course, they still aren't shipping the Cingular ones yet, but you'd be in the queue sooner so in theory you'd get it sooner. No guarantees though I guess.

AJB
  17. AJB
    Instant IT Have the Treo 600 for AU$988.42, listing stock as -2 and ETA as 20 days.

That would be less than the reseller purchase price if correct, unless I've missed something.

Now I'm wondering if I should cancel my request with my boss to get one in KL or not
  18.    #18  
    ctb

Can you please elaborate on the functionality of the T600 using the Telstra or Optus SIM card?

Does all the GPRS works on the phone?

Did you have to make sure that the phone is WAP unlocked also? other than just sim unlock?

What voice and data plans do you have with Telstra or Optus? I have never had the data plans with any telco before so i am interested to know the plans.

If all of this really work "flawless", then I will probably ask a friend to get one for me in America for this christmas!

Besides Cingular in USA, does anyone know where they sell unlock T600?

Thanks all for your input so far in this thread!

loving it....
  19. AJB
    Originally posted by AJB
    Instant IT Have the Treo 600 for AU$988.42, listing stock as -2 and ETA as 20 days.

That would be less than the reseller purchase price if correct, unless I've missed something.

Now I'm wondering if I should cancel my request with my boss to get one in KL or not
    Instant IT CONFIRMED that the price was correct but said that they were removing the product from their site until firm ETAs are established. :P

Organiser World have also updated their site
    New more competitive Price to be announced by PalmOne
    They again list the price as TBA.

UPDATE:
    Calculator King have also replaced $1299 with $TBA

So - now I have to decide if I cancel my request for my boss to buy one OS. This saga is more drawn out than Days of Our Lives
    Last edited by AJB; 11/09/2003 at 09:10 PM.
  20.    #20  
    I cant speak for you but if i were you, it "could" be worthwhile to cancel your boss's order and wait. The greatest agony is losing a couple hundreds because you couldn't wait a few more weeks. I have always been an early adopter for years on end, but now i do not have a PDA and uses my faithful SE T68i for 1.5 years now happily. I rely on outlook on my laptop for my contact management usage. My point is that sometimes, surrounded by hype, we loose track of what we "REALLY" can or cannot live without.

Cheers,
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast