Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. AJB
    Thanks Gelco,
    I agree. It's complicated by the fact that my current phone is dying, is locked, and I'm changing providers. The timing is a right royal PITA.

I have told my boss to hold off unless I get back to him. A few days to work out what to do. I just hope there is some solid, official RRP announcement made SOON!

AJB
    Q: How do you make God laugh?
    A: Tell Him your plans :-)
  2.    #22  
    Crazy thought but if i can wait till say...Febrauary to buy the T600 from a brick-mortal retailer, do you think that those units will be any different than the ones you will buy NOW?

i mean in terms of firmwares upgrades or more "bugs-free" version than the earlier units?

Just wondering what the advantages would be if i waited longer??
  3. AJB
    Originally posted by gelco
    Crazy thought but if i can wait till say...Febrauary to buy the T600 from a brick-mortal retailer, do you think that those units will be any different than the ones you will buy NOW?

i mean in terms of firmwares upgrades or more "bugs-free" version than the earlier units?

Just wondering what the advantages would be if i waited longer??
    Well, probably.

I would worry more about hardware revisions than firmware. IF you can wait, then you might get some hardware bug fixes. Firmware doesn't bother me too much, but you can't download a hardware fix

I have found in my experience though that Bricks & Mortar outlets tend to have higher prices. Wait longer and pay more - no thanks.
  4.    #24  
    Maybe the question is how we really know if the unit i buy in Feb will be newer ones or new old stock? I think the serial number on the units might be a clue but i doubt the sales rep can really tell me exactly. I agree that prices will be higher then but i was looking into signing a long term contract anyway so maybe there could be subsidize as a result? maybe my wishful thinking....

oohh..btw, i saw a video feed from cnet.com on the T600. It looks really cool and small too. I think it's beats the P900 in it's simplicity.
  5.    #25  
    Hope we get some movement in price too here in Aussie.

US$399 after rebates...cool!!

I can wait, i can wait...
  6. AJB
    So I missed out on getting one in KL because of the "New more competitive Price to be announced by PalmOne". I thought I'd try asking for a status update from Brightpoint again.

Hi,

Telstra have approved the device and we are just waiting on the last A-tick approval. Our first shipment should arrive to us around the 5-8 December and we are now taking back orders with our resellers.

The official RRP is still $1299 inc GST, however I think if you shop around
    you may get it for less than that once released.
    Arrrghhh

I could have had one in my hand today for less than that!
    (To quote CJ Dennis: "I 'ad the money in my hand!")

I really hope that I CAN get if for under $1000 now.

AJB
    Last edited by AJB; 11/17/2003 at 12:35 AM.
  7.    #27  
    Sorry to hear about it AJB....

You could still get it cheaper via a group purchase at Australian Palm Group or order it online at www.doml.com (~$100 cheaper) than $1299.

The only thing i really fear is the warranty issue...if you buy it anywhere else other than in Australia, who will support you if something goes wrong.

I might still get mine in US as long as they start stocking the GSM version soon over there.
    You could still get it cheaper via a group purchase at Australian Palm Group or order it online at www.doml.com (~$100 cheaper) than $1299.
    You can get it for US$729.99 from mobilefly in Singapore - I just checked their site and they're currently out of stock but my experience is that they'll have it back in in a matter of hours or at maximum a few days.
    I ordered mine from them and I'm very happy with their service.

/Christopher
  9.    #29  
    Seeing you are registered from Norway, how long did the shipping take and how much was the shipping in US$?

Are you able to use all the functions such as GPRS, email checking, sms in Norway? I assume your unit is SIM-unlocked?

I read the warranty info and it's scary to think that you absolutely have no re-course after 7 days. I guess that's the risk we take when we export buy it cheaper and export to our countries.

Considering that it's about $30US more than buying from USA, i might just buy it in Singapore.
    Seeing you are registered from Norway, how long did the shipping take and how much was the shipping in US$?

Are you able to use all the functions such as GPRS, email checking, sms in Norway? I assume your unit is SIM-unlocked?

I read the warranty info and it's scary to think that you absolutely have no re-course after 7 days. I guess that's the risk we take when we export buy it cheaper and export to our countries.

Considering that it's about $30US more than buying from USA, i might just buy it in Singapore.
    It was shipped last monday, arrived last friday - 5 days. And that was the cheapest shipping option.

GPRS, email, SMS, everything (well, email is operator dependent, you need of course to have an ISP if your phone company doesn't provide such service) works according to the GSM standard.

Warranty-wise, I'm assuming (no, hoping!) that if something bad happens during the first months or the first year, Handspring has the dignity to fix it no matter where I bought it...

/Christopher
    ...and the shipping was US$ 38 (Speedpost Courier).
  12.    #32  
    I called Optus and enquired about their GPRS data plans aka 'yes'Info WAP Plus. Found out that it's not cheap!

Low usage - $9.90/month for 2MB capped.
    High usage - same as above plus 2.2cents per Kb on weekdays and 1.1cents per Kb on weekends.

Flagfall of 22cents apply everytime you have to re-establish GPRS connection after 1 hour of inactivity.

Bummer!! these rates look ****ty to say the least. Rates appear to be better for Business accounts but i dont have the details...sorri.

On the bright side, they did indicate that the Treo600 shows up on their computer screen but not approved for sale yet. No ETA given either...damn....So i guess it's coming.....

Patience my fellow Aussie....

Can anyone offer better insights or comparision to the GPRS data plans offered by other telcos?
  13. AJB
    I called Optus and enquired about their GPRS data plans aka 'yes'Info WAP Plus. Found out that it's not cheap!

Low usage - $9.90/month for 2MB capped.
    High usage - same as above plus 2.2cents per Kb on weekdays and 1.1cents per Kb on weekends.

Flagfall of 22cents apply everytime you have to re-establish GPRS connection after 1 hour of inactivity.

Bummer!! these rates look ****ty to say the least. Rates appear to be better for Business accounts but i dont have the details...sorri.

On the bright side, they did indicate that the Treo600 shows up on their computer screen but not approved for sale yet. No ETA given either...damn....So i guess it's coming.....

Patience my fellow Aussie....

Can anyone offer better insights or comparision to the GPRS data plans offered by other telcos?
    Unfortunately, wireless data plans in Oz are well behind other parts of the world, as is home broadband.

I have done a LOT of looking at cheap wireless / data plans, and I'm afraid the Optus story is pretty similar to everywhere else. Even 1xRTT (CDMA) data plans are ridiculous prices.

Now I can't really recommend a plan, because it depends on your usage as to what is best.

I have just changed to Unison Mobile (reseller on Vodafone infrastructure) who charge 17c/30sec call rate, no minimum spend, no monthly fee, 1.8c /kB data, no connection fee, no monthly fee. They also are giving away 100 free SMS messages for new accounts (17c each) and if you have email bills and auto-credit payment, they credit you $5.50.

To top all that off, they SMS'd me last night to say that if I introduce new customers I'll get a $25 credit to my account. Needless to say, if you choose to go with them and want to throw me the credit, PM me for my details

Anyway, I plan to have relatively low GPRS usage, so the monthly fee plans with included limits aren't really that attractive - especially with the connection / session fee. What's the point of always on if they do that? I plan to stay connected without much traffic.

Anyway, I guess I can always go elsewhere if bulk data plans get cheaper.

Cheers,

AJB
    My company is now taking orders for the Treo 600 with Australian Telstra gsm software. Sales price is $1399 with delivery on the 6th of December.

Limited availability, first in first stock as available.

PM for details.

Cheers,

Dean
  15.    #35  
    To AJB: Thanks for your info mate, if i decide to go with Unison Mobile, i will certainly PM you for the $25 credit. Are you satisfied with Unison Mobile's voice & GPRS coverage and voice quality so far? The only catch I see is the $50 exit fee if i cancel service less than 12months.

To deanc: What's the difference between the Telstra gsm software and those in an unbranded SIM-unlocked T600 (that i can by from Singapore)?

Finally....just to think that i have narrowed all my choices to buy the T600, Telstra is offering all you can use unlimited GPRS data plan with the new BlackBerry 7230 for individual usage (rather than corporate users) for only $50/month!!!

Now, i'm back to the research phase and determine if BB might be a better choice for me and my client...
  16. AJB
    To AJB: Thanks for your info mate, if i decide to go with Unison Mobile, i will certainly PM you for the $25 credit. Are you satisfied with Unison Mobile's voice & GPRS coverage and voice quality so far? The only catch I see is the $50 exit fee if i cancel service less than 12months.
    Of course, the main catch there will be if you want to port your number out. If you can live with a number change, you can save your $50. And that depends on how attached you are to the number and how much you've "invested" in it.

To deanc: What's the difference between the Telstra gsm software and those in an unbranded SIM-unlocked T600 (that i can by from Singapore)?
    Good question. I don't suppose you have a trial unit with this SW Dean, given you won't get stock to December?

Finally....just to think that i have narrowed all my choices to buy the T600, Telstra is offering all you can use unlimited GPRS data plan with the new BlackBerry 7230 for individual usage (rather than corporate users) for only $50/month!!!
    Surely they'll offer this with the Treo 600 as well when it's officially on the shelf. $50pm is too rich for me. I have expensive handset needs and very low monthly spend on voice/data - hence the Unison plan suites.

Now, i'm back to the research phase and determine if BB might be a better choice for me and my client...
    For my money they're nowhere comparable. But then, I really want PalmOS.

AJB
    No idea, I've just been told by our distributor that there were some changes made to get it onto the telstra network (who is so far the only carrier to authorise it's use here in Asutralia).

I've already received orders for 2, I do not know how many I will be receiving on the 6th.

Cheers,

Dean
  18.    #38  
    Anyone else have more info on how different will the T600 be under Telstra? what's the gsm software tuned for the device?

Like i mentioned on my earlier post, looks like Optus is also pending the approval of the T600....maybe i should buzy them again on specifics..hehehhe
    Well what can I say I got mine yesterday, we have sent those out to who got in contact with me.

our sale price is $1399, sorry yes I know you can get them cheaper from the states but the dealer buy price leaves us no room for margin.

Oh and in cae you are wondering, it's fantastic does everything that i want, the feel and weight is perfect, I'm very sad to see my Prism get boxed up after 3 years flawless service but the 600 rocks.

Cheers,

Dean
    p.s. feel free to email me if you want to ask any questions or place orders.
  20. AJB
    Originally posted by deanc
    Well what can I say I got mine yesterday, we have sent those out to who got in contact with me.

our sale price is $1399, sorry yes I know you can get them cheaper from the states but the dealer buy price leaves us no room for margin.

Oh and in cae you are wondering, it's fantastic does everything that i want, the feel and weight is perfect, I'm very sad to see my Prism get boxed up after 3 years flawless service but the 600 rocks.

Cheers,

Dean
    p.s. feel free to email me if you want to ask any questions or place orders.
    Dean, I hate to rain on your parade, but this is a reality check.

You are charging $100 over the RRP

There are plenty of places with stock at the RRP of $1299 or below.

http://emailausonline.com.au/auson/c.../treo600.shtml - $1149, in stock

http://www.buyquick.com.au/shop/prod...?ID=P1-TREO600 - $1199, in stock

http://www.expansys.com.au/product.a...05948&asource= - $1,065.74, still waiting 34 days...

http://www.gadgets.com.au/productlis...D=hs&vCatID=pd - $1149, pre-order

http://www.calculatorking.com.au/pdaphones.htm#treo600 $1299

http://www.kalk.com.au/index.html?ta...tml&lang=en-gb $1299

http://www.ow.com.au/default.cfm?pag...m_TREO_600.htm $1299

I'm not sure what your pricing department chief is smoking, but I can't imagine you selling many at $100 over the RRP.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast