Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What are Palm/Handspring future plans and timings with the Treo with regards to

Bluetooth
    Hi-res screen
    sorftware upgrades
    etc

I am thinking about changing over from my Tungsten T and don't know whether to change now or wait.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    High resolution screen is nice. Very nice, super nice.

But I've returned the Sony NX and the T3 cause what is a Palm without Internet, without email?

All the info in it is old!

So we must live with the T600 for now. Donna, please please put 320 x 320 on it right away!
    The "Analyst Day" presentation by palmOne yesterday (still archived on the palmOne web site so go listen/watch it!) strongly suggested that Handspring/palmOne was aware of the lack of resolution and would address it. One of the presenters mentioned outright that high-res color was essentially a necessity since customers LIKE it, another (who appears to be in conflict with Hawkins, IMHO, on direction to follow) actually had slides showing that the OLD displays used 160x160 graphics but higher res was current and for the future (w.r.t. handhelds)!

Also, in the wimpy "tease" from Hawkins et al it looks like very high speed data is solidly in the works.

If I were a betting man (Hey! I am!) I'd say a major component of "The Verizon Delay" is the lack of a very high speed data-handling capability of the current crop of TREOs. Verizon is shifting over to extreme speed - would be silly to use antiquated original relatively-slow CDMA for that.

Listen to the presentation - read its slides. Go to palmone.com and surf for it - the surfing you do til you find it will be good for you, too!

====

BTW - Donna Dubinsky is past-tense - she is simply a Board of Directors member now. Bradley et al are the ones to beg for features.

IMHO, Wirt - Handheld SVP - is in almost direct conflict with Colligan/Hawkins et al since he overtly said SEPARATE devices was the way to go and, of course, the others overtly said CONVERGED devices are the way to go - the nearterm future should be politically interesting...
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 11/08/2003 at 05:27 AM.
  4. purpleX
    quick impression of what will be added to treo line:
    -cheapie treo model $99-199.
    -treo 620 (aka, treo with little bit extra, more memory, bigger screen, bt add on, etc)
    -there is no radically new treo.

-treo 600 ramp up is expected around 60 days. (late January)

-from presentation JH clearly did not present what smartphone in the future ought to be, except it's treo. (easy of use simple, people wanna use it, bla bla bla email, platform, voice...same old sh1te) There is no concrete 'feature' being talked about. It's more of same old trick PIM glued on-top of a phone trick, very boring. PSRC and PLMO dip almost 8% after that part of the session is done. (That ought to teach people about giving sucky presentation)

-Compared to other company, for eg. Motorola and Docomo are busy figuring out how to do live video conferencing. Microsoft and Motorola has indicated they are going to integrate Smartphone tightly to exchange server (push or pull at your own convinient). Nokia is trying to shove every possible radios onto one unit (TV,FM, BT, phones). SE? who knows

-the current question: where is the BT, the video streaming, audio recorder, smooth functioning web browser, are a direct result of what Handspring failed to anticipate a smartphone ought to be in the future 3 years ago. The future has changed, Handspring failed yet again to anticipate what is next and consider customers are bunch of simpleton and unimaginative statistic who will keep buying their 'zen and simplicity' gimmick.

by the time Handspring done doing 'email, voice, platform, web, email, bla bla bla... The rest of the industry has moved on to other advance feature and Handspring unit yet again is sold with a complete set of stale functionalities. This is similar to Vx when iPAQ3600 is coming out in the market. Vx represent old school PDA with dead end future, while 3600 end up to be the beginning of new class of PDA.

current treo approach is dead end. It's stale and won't go very far. treo 600-400-620-700 (or whatever) will be just like Vx, m500,m505,m130. It's a last gasp of yesterday's design and feature.
    Purple X...

For somebody so ANTI- Treo/Palm/Formerly Handspring you certainly waste a lot of time here bashing the OS/Business Model/Future!

*WE'RE* here because we're BELIEVERS! What's YOUR reason???
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    The treo 600 is the most exciting thing out there today -- stale? I don't think so. I think that blue tooth will be coming, but only to connect to earphones. Look for high speed conection to be done through the phone side -- through the phone companies. The potential is huge and makes wifi look silly (limitied location etc). I would hope, most of all, for next year, to get a treo with a much faster processor and much more internal memory.
    Screen size is always a trade off with power and I'd rather have power.
    However, for those road warriers who need a large screen, I'd rather have a large screen/keyboard electric powered combination that the treo can connect to for those who need it. I don't know if an external screen can be connected now, but the next treo should allow for it. Hopefully palm 7 should sense such a screen and allow more complicated operating system operations when connected.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
  7. purpleX
    Yes stale, feature wise. Cute design tho'

Ask these: GPS, BT headset, Functioning all in one multimedia player, Voice Dial, large screen, BT/WiFi,... etc.

The darned thing can't even receive Fax and record audio fer gawd sake. ... THAT"S BASIC !
  8. purpleX
    Originally posted by sleepysurf

*WE'RE* here because we're BELIEVERS!
    Sunday mass is at 6, 7 and 9 am. Worshipers are encourage to bring their their treo so St. Hawkins will be able to grace them. Thank you and may the Handspringness be with you.

Continuing your theme, X , I LIGHT a candle for you (tiny flame?) and pray you find forgiveness for your transgressions.

Puns with HUMOUR intended!

Or are you really the Devil because you do like FLAMES??

Now, weren't we talking about the next COOL thing??
  10. purpleX
    no, next hot box office sale actually.
    See, look at X's last post!! It was number 666. Creepy!

I am now leaving this alone!! That's right, me = done with this joke! Have a good day everyone!
    here we go again. seldomvisitor aka. seldomright and some financial wisdom. a wanta be player with little or no resources. what a joke!

i wish you would spare us your financial bs. you rarely know what your talking about on the subject. you've spewed more finacial inaccuracies and dass predictions at this board then anyone should have to read.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 11/08/2003 at 11:19 AM.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    quick impression of what will be added to treo line:
    -cheapie treo model $99-199.
    -treo 620 (aka, treo with little bit extra, more memory, bigger screen, bt add on, etc)
    -there is no radically new treo.

-from presentation JH clearly did not present what smartphone in the future ought to be, except it's treo. (easy of use simple, people wanna use it, bla bla bla email, platform, voice...same old sh1te) There is no concrete 'feature' being talked about. It's more of same old trick PIM glued on-top of a phone trick, very boring. PSRC and PLMO dip almost 8% after that part of the session is done. (That ought to teach people about giving sucky presentation)

-Compared to other company, for eg. Motorola and Docomo are busy figuring out how to do live video conferencing. Microsoft and Motorola has indicated they are going to integrate Smartphone tightly to exchange server (push or pull at your own convinient). Nokia is trying to shove every possible radios onto one unit (TV,FM, BT, phones). SE? who knows

-the current question: where is the BT, the video streaming, audio recorder, smooth functioning web browser, are a direct result of what Handspring failed to anticipate a smartphone ought to be in the future 3 years ago. The future has changed, Handspring failed yet again to anticipate what is next and consider customers are bunch of simpleton and unimaginative statistic who will keep buying their 'zen and simplicity' gimmick.

by the time Handspring done doing 'email, voice, platform, web, email, bla bla bla... The rest of the industry has moved on to other advance feature and Handspring unit yet again is sold with a complete set of stale functionalities. This is similar to Vx when iPAQ3600 is coming out in the market. Vx represent old school PDA with dead end future, while 3600 end up to be the beginning of new class of PDA.

current treo approach is dead end. It's stale and won't go very far. treo 600-400-620-700 (or whatever) will be just like Vx, m500,m505,m130. It's a last gasp of yesterday's design and feature.
    Well this has the makings of a decent discussion if we don't get into what specific devices do now and start the same flame war we've seen in 100 other threads.

Let's address Motorola and Docomo's video conferencing first. I'd love to see Docomo try to do video conferencing in the US with something like Vision which is the fastest connection you can get currently. It may be possible in Japan where speeds are probably 10G compared to our 2.5G, but it's pointless for Handspring to make it a major feature on their one phone if 90-95% of the users can't use it. When video conferencing is there, it should be easily enough to plop in video camera in the front and some simple software on the backend. Also, who am I going to video conference with? No one I know has a phone capable of this.

Next, let's tackle Microsoft and Motorola working on making it integrate with Exchange Server. Ummm, you mean Microsoft phones don't already work well with their own e-mail system, yet? And Good Technology, a mere start-up has made this happen with the Treo? Integration with Exchange is not "the future." In fact I'd rather have integration with Mozilla and/or Yahoo mail and address books.

Third, Nokia shoving radios (TV, FM, BT) into phones, isn't the future. As you stated above there's very likely going to be a Treo 620 with BT in it. FM radio? I can stream most radio in the world over the internet with the Treo. It would be nice to not have to use the data connection for that, but there are FM radio cards on the market. I think this was just too insignificant a feature to add in that it would have driven the price up and probably added no new customers because of it. TV would be cool, but I have to wonder what reception I would get without my cable input. I'm thinking two levels, bad and worse.

You state that HS failed to anticipate what a smartphone would need 3 years ago by not having the following 4 things: "BT, the video streaming, audio recorder, smooth functioning web browser." We'll we've established that BT is coming, and there was no device using it 3 years ago. I don't know any one with a connection now that can support any decent video streaming - not to mention the processor needed for such things. I suppose if you were on a wi-fi network with a 400mhz, you could do some of that. It was not known 3 years ago that data connections would be there, even in hot spots. The audio recorder is part of a smartphone? I'm not buying that. Smooth functioning web browser? Umm Handspring bought out Blazer for that. And I haven't seen anyone else acquire such technology.

Hence you really have nothing here except BT which is only useful for wireless headsets. Wireless headsets are useless they have stereo inputs for MP3s, which I haven't seen. Hence BT is useless in it's current form because you still have to have another headset. Oh and you picked out a bunch of technologies like video conferencing which require bandwidth beyond a smartphone maker's control.

As for GPS that has been handled in the past and can work now if only manufacturers update their drivers. There are multimedia players that exist like mmplayer. Because you should re-encode your video for your PDA for performance, space savings, it doesn't really matter which formats it plays as long as it plays something you can encode.

Where are the PPC with a thumbboard? Everyone else has one, but they can't figure it out? Oh, I've heard they have some vaporware out, but that it doesn't have a phone or something. When PPCs have something in the size of a Treo with a thumbboard, we can start to talk about apples to apples. Until then you like your orange and I like my apple.
  14. purpleX
    Originally posted by JTREOB
    here we go again. seldomvisitor aka. seldomright and some financial wisdom. a wanta be player with little or no resources. what a joke!

i wish you would spare us your financial bs. you rarely know what your talking about on the subject. you've spewed more finacial inaccuracies and dass predictions at this board then anyone should have to read.
    Speaking of financial BS,
    what do you think of those extrapolation financial data one item even come with plus minus 5% precission toward the year 2007 based on single statistic. Which btw is also an extrapolation, nobody knows how precise those are. Truely a marketing marvel, considering the gartner data set is also the one predicting the ever expanding PDA market which among other lead to severe operational mistep in 2002.

I almost expect Judy predicted the size of World GDP in 2007 from those data set too. lol

Either they are delusional, or about to commit serious fraud. But hey, that's wall st. for ya. What a dope.
  15. purpleZ

Sunday mass is at 6, 7 and 9 am. Worshipers are encourage to bring their their treo so St. Hawkins will be able to grace them. Thank you and may the Handspringness be with you.

Good one. Do you ever tire of shooting fish in a barrel? I'm surprised people here continue to bite on your trolls.

You certainly are persistent. Closing in on 700 troll posts and you don't even use a Treo. Hilarious.
  16. purpleX
    Originally posted by JTREOB

okay here we go,
    This is the raw IDC data they are using to predict market siaze (speaking of financial innacuracy. Does their data even match on the historical data when running the revenue model? hah! I want to see that pal!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
  17. purpleX
    And this is the number going through 2007!
    By God look how accurate the number is. The two scenario fall within 2% range even. Remember this is 4 years into the future, from a company that hasn't been around longer than 5 years.

I am still chuckling. What a sorcery! Wanna hear my futuristic insight what handphone is going to be like in the year 2073? I'll give you 1.5% precission, even...

oboy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    Where are the PPC with a thumbboard? Everyone else has one, but they can't figure it out? Oh, I've heard they have some vaporware out, but that it doesn't have a phone or something. When PPCs have something in the size of a Treo with a thumbboard, we can start to talk about apples to apples. Until then you like your orange and I like my apple.
    bmacfarland
    has created a post which should be a must read for anyone who clicks on the Treo600 link. Then the board can get back to the bussiness of tips & tricks, improving apps and features
    PurpleX, you have already admitted that you use one of those Nokia disposable phone that you get for free with a contract and don't need a smartphone in other threads. So even if the Treo had more features than anyone else, unless they priced it at nothing, you could neither justify affording the price or buy the unit unless you could get it for free from the carrier. I know that this may hurt, but you are not part of Treo's targeted market, nor are you part of any smartphones targeted market. Carriers want smartphones to get people who pay for phones (business users) and the more expensive service plans. They are not trying to get the customers who want free phones and get the cheapest contract they offer.

And since you have never used the Treo, or any other smartphone for that matter, I don't know how you can keep up with your "phone glued to a PIM" rhetoric. You have no frame of reference to make such statements. This phone is the best, most integrated phone/e-mail/Internet/PIM currently available on the market. I have seen plenty of reviews by various reviewers that back this up, oh and I have and use the Treo 600 and can say that I completely agree with them.

If you ever actually own a smartphone at some point in your life, I may put more stock into the things you say. For now though you just keep showing your ignorance with every incorrect, uneducated statement that you make on devices in this market segment.
    And this is the number going through 2007!
    By God look how accurate the number is. The two scenario fall within 2% range even. Remember this is 4 years into the future, from a company that hasn't been around longer than 5 years.

I am still chuckling. What a sorcery! Wanna hear my futuristic insight what handphone is going to be like in the year 2073? I'll give you 1.5% precission, even...

oboy.
    there isn't a company or investor worth their salt that doesn't set forecasts industry and company 5 years out. there also isn't a company or investor worth their salt that puts a tremendous amount of reliance on it. that may be why you have.

i certainly wouldn't get all bound up over the information you've presented here.

there's no doubt that the macro trends highlighted are and will continue to be in play, that is often the most any party of interest can hope for. but, frankly, i can't see how your ramblings have any relevance here. your posts continue to follow no pattern of relevant discussion.

that aside, while you were standing on your soap box claiming the end of palm. a palm buy averaging 11.70 and a palm sell average 24.65 x 3300 shares took place.

no test tube analysis here purplex and seldomright. just real world. keep up the good work.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast