Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. purpleX
    Originally posted by lnichols
    PurpleX, you have already admitted that you use one of those Nokia disposable phone that you get for free with a contract and don't need a smartphone in other threads. So even if the Treo had more features than anyone else, unless they priced it at nothing, you could neither justify affording the price or buy the unit unless you could get it for free from the carrier. I know that this may hurt, but you are not part of Treo's targeted market, nor are you part of any smartphones targeted market. Carriers want smartphones to get people who pay for phones (business users) and the more expensive service plans. They are not trying to get the customers who want free phones and get the cheapest contract they offer.

And since you have never used the Treo, or any other smartphone for that matter, I don't know how you can keep up with your "phone glued to a PIM" rhetoric. You have no frame of reference to make such statements. This phone is the best, most integrated phone/e-mail/Internet/PIM currently available on the market. I have seen plenty of reviews by various reviewers that back this up, oh and I have and use the Treo 600 and can say that I completely agree with them.

If you ever actually own a smartphone at some point in your life, I may put more stock into the things you say. For now though you just keep showing your ignorance with every incorrect, uneducated statement that you make on devices in this market segment.
    Just because I've never been to the moon, doesn't mean I cannot argue strongly that the moon is not made out of green cheese.

Just because you've been to disneyland doesn't make you an expert on animatronic or how disneyland behave as a corporation.

Plus, appeal to authority is a rather weak form of argument don't you think?

for eg. "most integrated phone/e-mail/Internet/PIM currently available on the market. " what support such claim? do elaborate, for I don't believe the moon is made out of green cheese.

let's get edumacation... and see how far you can get hah!
  2. purpleX
    Originally posted by JTREOB
    there isn't a company or investor worth their salt that doesn't set forecasts industry and company 5 years out. there also isn't a company or investor worth their salt that puts a tremendous amount of reliance on it. that may be why you have.

i certainly wouldn't get all bound up over the information you've presented here.

there's no doubt that the macro trends highlighted are and will continue to be in play, that is often the most any party of interest can hope for. but, frankly, i can't see how your ramblings have any relevance here. your posts continue to follow no pattern of relevant discussion.

that aside, while you were standing on your soap box claiming the end of palm. a palm buy averaging 11.70 and a palm sell average 24.65 x 3300 shares took place.

no test tube analysis here purplex and seldomright. just real world. keep up the good work.
    Remember that famous Greenspan saying" it's better to be more or less right than precisely wrong"?

what's the relevancy to treo's future? well apparently Palmone thinks it's important enough to talk about the issue when talking about treo/wireless future. Don't look at me, if I were them I won't put out those number.

Let's put it this way, would you put 50K until 2007 on Palm stock using their revenue prediction? Would that be concrete enough for you as an argument?
    Originally posted by purpleX
    Just because I've never been to the moon, doesn't mean I cannot argue strongly that the moon is not made out of green cheese.

Just because you've been to disneyland doesn't make you an expert on animatronic or how disneyland behave as a corporation.

Plus, appeal to authority is a rather weak form of argument don't you think?

for eg. "most integrated phone/e-mail/Internet/PIM currently available on the market. " what support such claim? do elaborate, for I don't believe the moon is made out of green cheese.

let's get edumacation... and see how far you can get hah!
    Well all of the countless reviews that have had links here that you like to say are "gushing". Even though they don't support your view on the Treo, that doesn't make them wrong. And these are the same reviewers that have done plenty of other smartphones so they do have a frame of reference on what is, and what is not a good smartphone.

I have used this phone on a daily basis now for almost a month. It is very easy to use. The browser and e-mail client both identify phone numbers in the text of a web page, or e-mail and turn them into a link that will automatically dial the number when pushed. It may do this with any phone number that appears on the screen from any app, but I have not tested it yet outside the browser and e-mail client. I have full integration with my Outlook data. All of the voice and data features on the Treo are much easier to use than my Sanyo 5300 that it replaced, and the phone doesn't reset itself all the time like the 5300 did. This version of OS5 has definetly integrated the phone functionallity and this is evident when using the the device. Could the device be improved upon? Oh yeah, but no device, especially with the useful lifespan as a phone and a PDA, ever is.

Also in order to make valid comments about what is, and what is not a good smartphone, and features are, or are not needed in a smartphone, you do have to use or at least try out a product to have a proper frame of reference. You are free to have any opinions that you want on the Treo, or on the moon for that matter, but since you are not a smartphone user, and probably have never analyzed moon rocks, it is just your opinion and you have no data or experience to back up your opinion.
    I guess I fall in to the "business user" class. I use my Treo (300/now 600) to track what I do at work, make work related phone calls and track them, and to be "always contactable." I played with the camera and was not impressed. I have no use for fancy tones, though I do have a use for a "silent" ring tone (provided by a board member, thank you very much). I have no use for "streaming video" or whatever it is called. I have no use for SMS most of the time, though I understand Verichat uses it. As a result of that, I am looking at switching to Chatter in a week or so. The size of the screen fits me well, as does the size of the unit. Anything larger just does not make it easy for me to carry and frankly, I have no intention of carrying both a cell phone and a pda - ain't gonna happen.

I run Filez and have paid for the programs I use (Datebook 5, HanDBase 3, forms and various plug-ins, BackupBuddy and BackupMan, Natara Comet, Bob's Alarm, Snapper Mail, LightNZip, TakePhone, Treo Alert Manager, Converter, Ohns, and Payoff Plus). Light stuff - Bible Reader, Palm Reader (a couple of enovels that I haven't taken the time to read), Pocket Tunes (listened to twice), AvantGo,.

The games? None. The Treo meets my needs and I am pleased with it. If I needed BT or a larger screen, I would get something else. I knew what was available before I purchased and have no real complaints with the product. For al the 600 does, it does well. Maybe not as well as a dedicated pda or camera or mp3 player, or cell phone, but gosh, I don't want to carry all of those items. The treo for me is the way to go.

Camera? I use my 5mb pixel Olympus. Zero interest in an on-board camera. Voice recorder? You know, there's a limit to what can be put in a device and still keep it simple and easy to use.

Ben

---------

PurpleX, you have already admitted that you use one of those Nokia disposable phone that you get for free with a contract and don't need a smartphone in other threads. So even if the Treo had more features than anyone else, unless they priced it at nothing, you could neither justify affording the price or buy the unit unless you could get it for free from the carrier. I know that this may hurt, but you are not part of Treo's targeted market, nor are you part of any smartphones targeted market. Carriers want smartphones to get people who pay for phones (business users) and the more expensive service plans. They are not trying to get the customers who want free phones and get the cheapest contract they offer.

And since you have never used the Treo, or any other smartphone for that matter, I don't know how you can keep up with your "phone glued to a PIM" rhetoric. You have no frame of reference to make such statements. This phone is the best, most integrated phone/e-mail/Internet/PIM currently available on the market. I have seen plenty of reviews by various reviewers that back this up, oh and I have and use the Treo 600 and can say that I completely agree with them.

If you ever actually own a smartphone at some point in your life, I may put more stock into the things you say. For now though you just keep showing your ignorance with every incorrect, uneducated statement that you make on devices in this market segment.

Remember that famous Greenspan saying" it's better to be more or less right than precisely wrong"?

what's the relevancy to treo's future? well apparently Palmone thinks it's important enough to talk about the issue when talking about treo/wireless future. Don't look at me, if I were them I won't put out those number.

Let's put it this way, would you put 50K until 2007 on Palm stock using their revenue prediction? Would that be concrete enough for you as an argument?
    i wouldn't put 50k on microsoft until 2007 even in light of that great ppc os and the bricks it comes on.

it's never a question of put and hold if you believe. the question is always "are my resources being positioned for maximum return . my unwillingness to put 50k on palm until 2007 has no bearing on my belief of it's future. to try and gather this summation from your question is stupid. but hey, one must consider the source.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 11/08/2003 at 04:46 PM.
    Originally posted by sleepysurf
    Purple X...

For somebody so ANTI- Treo/Palm/Formerly Handspring you certainly waste a lot of time here bashing the OS/Business Model/Future!

*WE'RE* here because we're BELIEVERS! What's YOUR reason???
    He probably works for Microsoft, given is penchant for slapping the backs of ppls hands for using unlicensed software, and his constant bashing of the Treo product and company. Unfortunatly hes preaching to an audience that could give a rats as* about his "opinions" and blatherings regarding a phone/pda that he quite obviously doesnt own.

Just one more gas bag wasting bandwidth, with nonsensical ramblings, IMHO.
  7. purpleX
    Originally posted by JTREOB
    i wouldn't put 50k on microsoft until 2007 even in light of that great ppc os and the bricks it comes on.

it's never a question of put and hold if you believe. the question is always "are my resources being positioned for maximum return . my unwillingness to put 50k on palm until 2007 has no bearing on my belief of it's future. to try and gather this summation from your question is stupid. but hey, one must consider the source.
    It's a simplified supposition.

It's not a question of believe, but the foundation upon which the analysis is done. ie, their use of IDH stat on revenue model. Unless you for some reason suspicious that Palmone itself doesn't behave to maximise capital return. hmmm....

I maybe stupid, but I am not the one who is wasting time to comment on a stupid post, so ... double hmm....

PS. historically speaking putting a 50K on microsoft would give better return than Palm.
  8. purpleX

Well all of the countless reviews that have had links here that you like to say are "gushing". Even though they don't support your view on the Treo, that doesn't make them wrong. And these are the same reviewers that have done plenty of other smartphones so they do have a frame of reference on what is, and what is not a good smartphone.

I have used this phone on a daily basis now for almost a month. It is very easy to use. The browser and e-mail client both identify phone numbers in the text of a web page, or e-mail and turn them into a link that will automatically dial the number when pushed. It may do this with any phone number that appears on the screen from any app, but I have not tested it yet outside the browser and e-mail client. I have full integration with my Outlook data. All of the voice and data features on the Treo are much easier to use than my Sanyo 5300 that it replaced, and the phone doesn't reset itself all the time like the 5300 did. This version of OS5 has definetly integrated the phone functionallity and this is evident when using the the device. Could the device be improved upon? Oh yeah, but no device, especially with the useful lifespan as a phone and a PDA, ever is.

Also in order to make valid comments about what is, and what is not a good smartphone, and features are, or are not needed in a smartphone, you do have to use or at least try out a product to have a proper frame of reference. You are free to have any opinions that you want on the Treo, or on the moon for that matter, but since you are not a smartphone user, and probably have never analyzed moon rocks, it is just your opinion and you have no data or experience to back up your opinion.
    please you are rambling.

you said: "most integrated phone/e-mail/Internet/PIM currently available on the market. " what support such claim? do elaborate, specifically why those feature is 'most integrated'.

educate me. (Otherwise stfu)
    PS. historically speaking putting a 50K on microsoft would give better return than Palm.
    Not if you only invested in their current PocketPC and old WinCE (appropriately named) divisions. Microsoft makes it's money off of areas that Palm aren't in, Servers, Desktop OSes, and Office software. Once again PurpleX is comparing Apples to Oranges and oddly didn't respond my previous post on the first page. Guess he couldn't debate that.

PS. If you could have invested in the Palm area of 3Com back in the day you'd be a very rich person today.

PPS. Industry experts like Wall St. Journal and Business Week make the paraphrased claim of "most integrated phone/e-mail/Internet/PIM currently available on the market."
  10. purpleX
    1. That's exactly the point about Palmone against Microsoft as company to invest.

2. If I invest 50K 4 years ago in Palm, I'll be mighty poor by now. Using Palm opening price, the $50K would worth about $400 bucks right now. I dare anybody to put 50K into palmone and wait until 2007. (So many true blievers, yet so little faith. surprising eh?)

wall st. == Mossberg, that gas bag also says treo 270/300/visors gonna blow the world. yeah okay, ...

Businesweek: haven't we discussed that article fluffiness at length? search the forum.

Now it's simple really, I ask YOU as a user to show me what makes you belive that treo 600 is the 'MOST" integrated in the area mentioned. see straight question.

please you are rambling.

you said: "most integrated phone/e-mail/Internet/PIM currently available on the market. " what support such claim? do elaborate, specifically why those feature is 'most integrated'.

educate me. (Otherwise stfu)
    If you had read the second paragraph in the post that you used the quote function on, that is a good start. Their are plenty of reviews on the Treo 600 out their now that share my view. I know that you have seen those reviews since you make it a point to bash them when someone posts the link. If you don't read the total post before responding then maybe you should STFU.

Maybe you should stop trashing a product and a product segment that you have not used and will never use on a board dedicated to that product.

Wow, you could drive a truck through the holes in that logic.

Troll, meet bridge. Crawl under.
  13. purpleX
    <Quote inicholas>

Here is a review I just found to disprove your claim:

A short review by me, Mr. Big shot.
    (published in mind bogglingly big business journal main/wall/soho/whatever other st.)

"treo is not the most integrated smartphone in the market"
    "Moon is also not made out of green cheese, but swiss instead"

----------

hmmm,
    It seems to me according to the big business magazine I quote above, says treo 600 is not the most integrated.

Give it a rest eh? So basically you have no idea if what HS marketing department is saying is true or not.
    1. That's exactly the point about Palmone against Microsoft as company to invest.

2. If I invest 50K 4 years ago in Palm, I'll be mighty poor by now. Using Palm opening price, the $50K would worth about $400 bucks right now. I dare anybody to put 50K into palmone and wait until 2007. (So many true blievers, yet so little faith. surprising eh?)

wall st. == Mossberg, that gas bag also says treo 270/300/visors gonna blow the world. yeah okay, ...

Businesweek: haven't we discussed that article fluffiness at length? search the forum.

Now it's simple really, I ask YOU as a user to show me what makes you belive that treo 600 is the 'MOST" integrated in the area mentioned. see straight question.
    1. Then lets end the investment discussion. We both agree it's not apples to oranges.

2. I think if you invested in Palm 4 years ago you'd get the pre-IPO price. That's the price you'd have to use, not some Internet bubble type price. Hey if you bought Amazon 3 years ago, you'd have lost half your money, but if you did it 5 years ago you'd be very happy. It's the same thing with Palm, but it wasn't publicly available until the peak times.

As for why I say it's the most integrated phone/e-mail/Internet/PIM, it's largely because it has an easy way to input e-mail, SMS, and web urls. I know you are against the thumbboard, and I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise, but that's my personal reason. I've got a bunch of industry experts like Mossberg, Fortune, BusinessWeek, CEbit, and Cnet, backing my claim. Pick one device that you think is better and give me your industry experts' opinions why as well as your own. And by industry experts, I'd be looking for real magazines that I can buy in a newsstand, not something like www.thisweekscoolmobiledevice.com.

Keep in mind I didn't say the Treo is perfect, but I believe it to be the best available.
  15. purpleX
    Okay, so here is the dirty secret,

there is no article in the entire world comparing side by side treo against other device and itemizing how integrated "phone/e-mail/Internet/PIM " are between the high end device. All of them are done by these so called expert who receive a 'package" of review device and have a go for several days/week, than write his review. He can claim whatever he wants nobody can check as long as he makes the claim vague enough. (the best device, the most integrated device, wtf?)

So now here we are, let's see how much of these claims are true and maybe we can evaluate treo's future more honestly than using bunch of superlative claim nobody can prove.

so if one claim most integrated " phone/e-mail/Internet/PIM "

what does it mean? clicking PIM than make a phone call?

clicking email than a PIM address show up compelte with GPS assisted point to pint map? how about Voice activated comman launching a PIM, so on and so forth...

Is treo indeed the only device with these so called integration? ie. the most, or other deivce can do it even more. Has anybody checked?

hmmm.... interesting isn't it? I am afraid the earth is not flat, and angel does not move those stars in heaven above us. (gawd I gotta stop using these religious simile ... )

so if one claim most integrated " phone/e-mail/Internet/PIM "

what does it mean? clicking PIM than make a phone call?
    He answered this quite clearly. Instead of babbling on about features that NO phone has, and using more flawed analogies, why don't you answer his quite valid question?

Originally posted by bmacfarland
    As for why I say it's the most integrated phone/e-mail/Internet/PIM, it's largely because it has an easy way to input e-mail, SMS, and web urls. I know you are against the thumbboard, and I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise, but that's my personal reason. I've got a bunch of industry experts like Mossberg, Fortune, BusinessWeek, CEbit, and Cnet, backing my claim. Pick one device that you think is better and give me your industry experts' opinions why as well as your own. And by industry experts, I'd be looking for real magazines that I can buy in a newsstand, not something like www.thisweekscoolmobiledevice.com.

Keep in mind I didn't say the Treo is perfect, but I believe it to be the best available.
  17. purpleX
    Originally posted by IanL

He answered this quite clearly. Instead of babbling on about features that NO phone has, and using more flawed analogies, why don't you answer his quite valid question?

have you considered balanced diet? how about head transplant? I've heard those literacy program at the local library is great too. (hmm. maybe I should try that haaa haa)
    Hey purple, since you're now an expert on the moon as well, does the total lunar eclipse tonight mean that the moon is no longer there?

By the way, no need to flame me on what is probably my most irrelevant post yet -- most of your posts here are just as irrelevant.
    Because this is her MO. She constantly contradicts herself all the time. The treo is crap because it doesn't have BT/WiFi/high res screen, but the the MPX200 which has none of these is the greatest device ever. The still not produced WANDA is better than the Treo (can you buy one???) even though the Treo is built on the same basic OMAP architecture. And now that I remind her of all the positive reviews she makes up her own and calls all tech reviewers that like the Treo frauds. Just do a search on PurpleX and you will quickly see the contradiction and ignorance, with the only consistency being the misinformation and hatred for the treo, again which she has never used, nor has ever used any smartphone.
  20. purpleX
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast