Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Amazing as it may be, Chatter is finally being released. (Treo 600 only)

Features:

* Simultaneous messaging via MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger, and ICQ
    * SMTP mail support (requires a SMTP host)
    * True "push" IMAP eMail (requires a compatible IMAP host)
    * Full asynchronous operation - no waiting for messages to be received OR sent (IM and email)
    * Runs in foreground or background, awake or asleep
    * Full TCP/IP system (does not use SMS)
    * Messages organized by "contact", regardless of messenger service used
    * Customizable ringers by Contact
    * Full hyperlink support in messages (IM and eMail)
    * Emoticons (smiley) support
    * 5-way navigation support
    * Works with GSM and CDMA Treo 600's.
    * International character support.
    * Many settable preferences and viewing modes
    * Unique interface...
    * Major enhancements from older T270/T300 version
    * All revenues above out-of-pocket expenses go to charity.

Check out www.imchatter.com for purchase information (Basically, I'm not sure how it works yet. But there's a 30 day free trial, so I've got time...)

Thanks.

Marc
    Hi Marc,
    No download avail on your website for t600 chatter...midnight 11/7
    Matt
    Duh...ne€
  4.    #4  
    There will be a download before 11/13... Tick, tick...

Marc
    I don't know about chatter, but sandman sure is an awesome program!!
  6.    #6  
    LOL! The best laugh I've had today, even if it's an inside joke.

I've been working on Chatter for a year now, and it's been very difficult at times. Sandman was one line of code!

I'm glad you're enjoying it! (Take a look at Chatter too next week!)

Marc
    Never used sandman, but I've been using Chatter since its early days. It has matured well and I think it will be a heavy contender in the messaging application market. The interface is different from verichat, but works very well.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I agree...I have been a beta tester of Chatter for a while now and it is absolutely awesome. VeriChat seemed a bit clunky in its operation and I was not very impressed with it. Chatter, on the other hand, is a very smooth running application and the support that you receive from Marc and the forums (Chatter forums and TreoCentral with regards to Chatter) is awesome. If you are the least bit interested in programs like this you will want to take advantage of the 30 day trial and see how great Chatter is for yourself. (not to mention that there is NO annual fee for Chatter - just a one time fee )

Chatter is by far the best application I have on my Treo 600...and I own quite a bit of software...

Keith
    I just paid 25 bucks for verichat so im kinda locked into ir for the next year. I will definitely be looking into chatter next year though. Good luck with the progamming!
  10.    #10  
    Locked in by a $25 accessory for a $500 phone that will be obsolete in a year anyway? Ok!

Enjoy your Treo; that's what counts!

Marc

p.s. I'm on my 4th Treo purchase this year...
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I hope this is not a foolish question....

Does Chatter use vision to periodically check for a message while it is running in the background? Or, does it switch to SMS (which I think Verichat does) to prevent you from missing calls?

I like the idea of having all if my IM software (especially ICQ) running all the time, but grow concerned that I am missing phone calls. How about with e-mails???

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I am curious since this sounds like what I am looking for in every way.

Thanks,
    Originally posted by Ayrow
    I hope this is not a foolish question....

Does Chatter use vision to periodically check for a message while it is running in the background? Or, does it switch to SMS (which I think Verichat does) to prevent you from missing calls?

I like the idea of having all if my IM software (especially ICQ) running all the time, but grow concerned that I am missing phone calls. How about with e-mails???

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I am curious since this sounds like what I am looking for in every way.

Thanks,
    I am also curious about this... furthermore, do your buddies see you as "online" while you are on a call? Verichat allows you to appear online all the time which is one of it's benefits...

L
    Lee Ladisky
  13.    #13  
    Some quick answers (more later)...

1) Yes, people will still see you as connected when you're on a phone call...

2) All data is PUSHed to Chatter over a data connection ("Vision", if you will); Chatter rarely ASKS for anything. It's true that Verichat switches to SMS (which has its own pros and cons) when it's running in the background, but that's not the REASON it does. After all, Verichat runs on GSM systems as well, where phone calls are NOT sent to voice mail automatically...

Moreover, when actively chatting, both Verichat AND Chatter use "Vision" (the data connection), since Verichat uses the data connection for all SENT messages, regardless of whether you're the program or not. Arguably, Verichat will use the data channel MORE when sending in the background, since it takes time to establish a network connection each time.

I'll write more in a bit...

Marc
    Last edited by Chatter; 11/07/2003 at 09:19 AM.
  14.    #14  
    The somewhat longer story on Chatter vs Verichat concerning data usage / missed phone calls is this:

Both Chatter and Verichat use the data connection ("Vision") for:

1) Sending and receiving messages in the foreground (i.e. running the program with its interface, etc.)

2) Sending and receiving "presence" information in the foreground (e.g. online status)

3) Sending chat messages in the background (i.e. runing a different program).

Chatter, in addition, uses the data connection to receive messages in the background and to receive limited presence information in the background.

Since most "chats" are two-way , this additional data usage by Chatter really isn't that significant. And it buys you the ability to receive and send messages of any size (rather than with SMS limitations), including eMail (if you've activated the IMAP features).

Having said that, you will - with ANY network application - take a risk of missing a phone call using Sprint's network. If you really, really can't afford to do that, you either 1) don't want to use Verichat or Chatter very much or 2) get a GSM/GPRS phone, where voice calls will "suspend" a data session.

Of course, if you miss a call, you'll get a Voice Mail notification virtually immediately, which helps somewhat...

There is no piece of software in ANY category that is perfect for everyone. The best thing is to understand the pros and cons of each and make a reasoned decision based on your circumstances and preferences.

Does that help?

Marc
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    "Does this help?"

Yes Marc. Very much. Thank you for your detailed reply.

So, when can we look forward to downloading Chatter??

Ayrow
  16.    #16  
    Next week...

Marc
    Originally posted by mblank
    Next week...

Marc
    One last question: If Chatter is running in the b/r and an IM comes in, is there a popup to notify the user?

L
    Lee Ladisky
  18.    #18  
    Yes, a popup that includes the full message (of whatever length) and the ability to respond in any length. It can be set to vibrate and/or ring, and the tone is customizable by contact. You can also determine how long the popup stays around before it closes itself.

If a popup "goes away" on its own (after timing out), the next time you turn on your screen, Chatter will tell you how many messages you missed.

Marc
    I registered verichat as well, but I'd love to try out Chatter. If its better, I'll definetly switch.

While we wait, do you have some more screenshots?
    Deacon
    Computer Programmer/Law Student
    T700p <-- 600
  20.    #20  
    The manual, on www.imchatter.com has lots of screenshots. Do you mean more than those?

Marc
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast