1.    #1  
    FYI gang, I've been using a GSM Treo 600 with Cingular in California for the last day or so. (I received one through internal channels--so please don't ask for details!) :-)

Anyway, I just poped in the card from the 270 and it worked straight away. This is a generic unlocked 600 - I don't think that it is "Cingular" unit per-se. So I have no idea whether the Cingular units that will ship will be locked or not. I saw no Cingular specific software, except for the Web (Blazer) homepage, which was the "my cingular" page. But I don't know if that had anything to do with syncing it with the pc which had 270 info on it. Anyway, the default homepage could be changed.

The GPRS settings seemed to download into the phone once the SIM card was inserted. Cingular (ISDN) and Cingular Express (GPRS) are the two network connection options. The latter worked just fine--I didn't try the former. Of course, Cingular still boots you off GPRS after a couple of hours. But connecting seemed much faster than the 270.

Most of the operation/impressions of the T600 line have been discussed on the board. Needless to say, the phone is fantastic.
    Last edited by tcc; 11/06/2003 at 01:13 PM.
    Originally posted by tcc
    The GPRS settings seemed to download into the phone once the SIM card was inserted. Cingular (ISDN) and Cingular Express (GPRS) are the two network connection options.
    At what point did you perform the sync?

You say that the GPRS settings were there after SIM card insertion. Did you insert the card and check this prior to syncing?
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by dspires

At what point did you perform the sync?

You say that the GPRS settings were there after SIM card insertion. Did you insert the card and check this prior to syncing?
    I performed the sync pretty much right away, following the instructions on the Handspring site (basically, delete everything in the Backup folder before performing the sync). I then dragged over specific files using Pilot Install. I don't think I dragged anything over that was Blazer specific though.

Admittedly, I didn't check the GPRS settings before the SIM card was inserted. Some SIM cards download GPRS settings automatically, but I don't know if that was the case with this phone, or whether it came with the GPRS settings internally!
    My GPRS settings were installed on my 180 when I installed the T-Mobile GPRS update. The GPRS settings were uploaded to subsequent replacement 180's during the initial sync processes. My T-mobile GPRS settings do not transfer with the SIM card but are part of the GPRS software update. I was therefore confused with your assumption that yours were transferred with the SIM card.

I think that your conclusion about the GPRS settings transferring with the SIM card are incorrect.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by dspires
    My GPRS settings were installed on my 180 when I installed the T-Mobile GPRS update...My T-mobile GPRS settings do not transfer with the SIM card but are part of the GPRS software update.

I think that your conclusion about the GPRS settings transferring with the SIM card are incorrect.
    You could be right despires. My Treo 270 Cingular GPRS settings were established the same way - though the firmware updates.

However...when I used foreign sim cards while travelling, foreign GPRS settings often "appeared" in the network settings once the foreign sim card was inserted (that is, I never had to create foreign GPRS profiles). It took a few minutes though, so I don't know if the settings were in the card or were downloaded from the provider. When the foreign SIM card was removed, the foreign GPRS settings dissapeared(!).

With that in mind, I just now removed the Cingular sim card to see whether the GPRS settings remained--they did. Which means two things: either you are correct despires, in that the settings are in the firmware (in which case I have a "Cingularized" GSM 600), or, alternatively (and perhaps much less likely), the settings were transferred into the phone when the sim card was initially inserted, and now remain in the phone whether or not the sim card is present. But I agree, I think the former is more likely.