1.    #1  
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Interesting question that should have implications on Verichat as well... As i understand it, verichat uses sms to send and receive its "instant messages." For instance, GPRS users would probably get charged for every IM you send and receive via verichat (or have them deducted from their sms bucket, depending on their plan).

For Sprint users, billing for verichat IMs has not been an issue, since unlimited text messaging (notifications) and shortmail has always been included in unlimited Vision. So when MO-SMS launches and replaces the shortmail system with a more typical pay-per-sms billing model, would Sprint Verichat users start having to pay for instant messaging on Verichat? It's better wait for sms to launch before registering for verichat...

Why doesn't someone just write a unified IM client for the Treo that uses TCP/IP like on a computer? What are the advantages of Verichat going through sms?
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    For Sprint users, I would suppose the benefit of using SMS is that we can still receive phone calls while logged onto Verichat.

Any others want to 2nd this supposition? This was my #1 question when loading and testing Verichat.
    Originally posted by treoo0
    For Sprint users, I would suppose the benefit of using SMS is that we can still receive phone calls while logged onto Verichat.

Any others want to 2nd this supposition? This was my #1 question when loading and testing Verichat.
    Well, I know Pocket Tunes Del. Beta uses tcp/ip for shoutcast streams and all it does is pause when my phone rings. I have it set where I just tap the phone button after the conversation and a small ptunes window opens up over the phone screen so I can hit play.

I never new Verichat used sms in the first place, but I don't see why it can't use tcp/ip.