1.    #1  
    Allright, first off I have never owned a TREO, but I have owned multiple Palms.. That being said. I ran across something someone posted the other day on a site reviewing the new TREO, and he said tha one of the thinfgs he dosen't like about it is that there is no graffitti..... What??? can this be , is there really now graffitti, just the keyboard??? I hope that this isn't the case... I am itching to buy one but I would hate to be limited to just the keyboard..

Any one ????

Scott
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Well, I suppose its bad news for die hard Palm users, but I myself dont mind it. I'm faster with the keyboard than I ever would be with grafiti anyway.

If you need it that bad though there are several third party (freeware) programs which put grafitti back onto it, so all is not lost.
    "Yay though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil... cause I have a big stick! And I am the meanest mutherf***er in the valley!" -Deep Blue Sea
  3.    #3  
    Wow....
    I just can't believe that they would go out of their way to remove it.... i mean whats the point you have a touch screen and a stylus.... why not leave it in... isn't it already part of the OS ?

It's good to know that there are 3rd party options, i wonder how well they work..

thanks
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I dont use it myself but apparently Grafitti Anywhere works really well.
    "Yay though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil... cause I have a big stick! And I am the meanest mutherf***er in the valley!" -Deep Blue Sea
    broolynbound,

I had the same reaction myself prior to purchasing my 270 over a year ago, I really did not want to give up the graffiti. And now, I must say, I don't miss it one bit. In fact, now the only useful thing about my stylus is that it doubles as a real pen. Otherwise, I'd rather not have a stylus, believe it or not.

Where's my 600!!!#?
    Being a little lazy with graffiti, I avoid using it, but I have "Jot" on my Treo and it works well.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Also, from what I have read, the 600 geatly de-emphasized the use of a stylus. The keyboard is a lot easier, and more accurate than graffiti.
    Volvo-driving, Sushi-eating, Latte-sipping Liberals Against Stereotypes.
    Originally posted by ToonFan
    Also, from what I have read, the 600 geatly de-emphasized the use of a stylus. The keyboard is a lot easier, and more accurate than graffiti.
    I've found that to be very true for most apps. Some still require a stylus (or finger, if I'm lazy) but generally speaking the Dpad eliminates the need to pull out the stylus.

FWIW, I don't miss graffiti at all.
    although this issue has been debated many times in these forums, my experience has been that you won't miss graffiti, esp on the 600.
    When I got my 300, after using Palms for like 6 yrs, and being a Graffiti master, I instantly put my old Jot app on it. I ended up never using it - as others above have said, you just won't use it. And THAT was on the 300, which isn't nearly as keyboard optimized as the 600. You REALLY won't need it on the 600.

So - not to fear - give it a go and you'll be happy.

(another big benefit is never having to write on the screen - even using protectors, my screen always got scratches and stuff. I HATED that)
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for all the input... which now leads me to another question, can anyone reccomend a good screen protector... are they availabe yet for the treo?
    Honestly my friend, having Palms since the very 1st one released I too believed I NEEDED GRAFITTI.

Last march I got a 270 and immediately installed grafiti on it because I was sure that I would use it more often. After trying the keyboard a few times I was amazed at how well it worked, and the speed I was able to input things in.

Its probably been about 4-5 months since I have used graffiti on my 270, and I just un-installed it yesterday because I realized I never use it.

Trust the users on this board, you are not going to miss it(as hard as it is to believe).
    Originally posted by brooklynbound
    Thanks for all the input... which now leads me to another question, can anyone reccomend a good screen protector... are they availabe yet for the treo?
    Human nature adapts. When I got a 300 a year ago after using Palms for 5 years, it didn't come with Graffiti. So I forced myself to adapt instead of installing a graffiti app. In less than a few days, I said no problem. Then after a few weeks I am convinced the keyboard was a level above graffiti. You will too if you don't resist human nature.

AFA screen protectors for the 600, yes they are available now. I use Boxwave (expensive) but worth it. I won't skimp on my valuable 600.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Graffitti is not missed at all. The keyboard, while not as large as my UX50, works fine. I have no problems composing large documents. In fact, I am more productive because I can start documents whenever I have a free moment such as waitng for car repairs, standing in lines,etc. I would never attempt such tasks prior to having my T600 and ClieUX50.
    Pocket Addict

Clie UX50/Ti68/Nextel BB 6510/Treo600/SE T637/Audiovox 5600/HP 4700/Audiovox PPC 6601
    OK - So without a way to input any graffiti, how would one go about using the keyboard to enter a time or date stamp (as was done by inputting a lower case L stroke and then DS or TS)?
    5-way & Keyboard > Stylus & Graffiti
    my moblog:
    <a href="http://chumprock.textamerica.com/">http://chumprock.textamerica.com/</a>
    Originally posted by sblanter
    OK - So without a way to input any graffiti, how would one go about using the keyboard to enter a time or date stamp (as was done by inputting a lower case L stroke and then DS or TS)?
    There is a short cut to add date and DTS

But the short cut is a 5 step short cut (I call it a long cut), not very intuitive and not documented anywhere AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $I$ $knew$ $it$ $once$ $but$ $didn$'$t$ $write$ $it$ $down$ $so$ $I$ $forgot$. $Anyone$ $know$ $it$? $please$ $post$.
    Originally posted by chumprock
    5-way & Keyboard > Stylus & Graffiti
    Sorry, I still don't understand. Using the 5-way & keyboard to enter a shortcut? How do you do it? The 5-way seems to only navigate (or "enter" with a center press) and I've tried every key on the keyboard (including Option+ and Shift+ key) and I still can't enter a shortcut.
    Originally posted by sblanter

Sorry, I still don't understand. Using the 5-way & keyboard to enter a shortcut? How do you do it? The 5-way seems to only navigate (or "enter" with a center press) and I've tried every key on the keyboard (including Option+ and Shift+ key) and I still can't enter a shortcut.
    I searched the forum and found how to use the shortcut on a 600.

Here's a better explanation hopefully:

For example, to do a DTS short cut (date time stamp), type "s" for short cut, then "alt" (it's the "zero" key), scroll down 3 places to the :shortcut: symbol, click the center button, type dts and viola, date time stamp appears.

To see a list of pre-canned shortcuts or to create your own shortcuts, go to Preferences> ShortCuts

The only shortcut I can see myself using is the DTS one. Why bother with the others?
    You don't need to use the dpad of center button to enter the date/time stamp. Just type 's' then Alt four times then 'dts'.
    Originally posted by vflopez
    You don't need to use the dpad of center button to enter the date/time stamp. Just type 's' then Alt four times then 'dts'.
    That's a good tip, thanks!