Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I dont remember where I saw the thread but I just had to post this. The makers of HanDBase... DDH Software have an actual terminal services client called Mobile TS. I tested it using my T600 on Sprint PCS Vision. Supports 8bit RDP Sessions up to 1024x768 desktops. This program completes the functionality I was looking for with my Treo 600. A definate must have for the mobile admin. A definate PPC killer app. Goodbye Pocket PC!

-Isaac

DDH Software
    http://www.ddhsoftware.com/
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    It was originally here and you are correct. For me it is a killer app and a deal maker and is definetly worthy of a new thread to let fellow geeks know
  3.    #3  
    I had to spread the word on this one!

One flaw I found was there is no pulldowns for Ctrl-Alt-Del, Ctrl-Esc and most of all right mouse click. I looked for documentation on DDH's website but could not locate it. For the Treo it definately helps having a keyboard. In a future version I can see the use of the Option key to get arround the input limitations of the current version.

-Isaac
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Isaac_Schneider
    I had to spread the word on this one!

One flaw I found was there is no pulldowns for Ctrl-Alt-Del, Ctrl-Esc and most of all right mouse click. I looked for documentation on DDH's website but could not locate it. For the Treo it definately helps having a keyboard. In a future version I can see the use of the Option key to get arround the input limitations of the current version.
    -Isaac
    So are you able to do thinks like Ctrl-Alt-Delete with the keyboard alone? Obviously that is a big deal sometimes. And no work around for right mouse click?

-Thanks
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by willp2

So are you able to do thinks like Ctrl-Alt-Delete with the keyboard alone? Obviously that is a big deal sometimes. And no work around for right mouse click?

-Thanks
    Just some thoughts...

Ctrl-Alt-Del it not that useful in a TS session. You can access the security dialog box from the start menu. Right click is not manditory just convenient. So far in my applications using the keyboard and pulldown menus seems to work just fine. I usually just need to see statistics and maybe restart some services.

I had thought about using a dedicated remote management application. Having a local control app it the most efficient. My favorite RA is Sonic Admin. However sonic admin is not supported on PalmOS units. XB seems to be a good replacement feature wise however it seems to be browser based.

Mobile TS is a good fit for most people. Especially if you are in the consulting field having a RDP client makes sense. Most remote admin packages only support one "Domain" or "Enterprise" and require the use of a gateway/proxy machine.

-Isaac.

Sonic Mobility - SonicAdmin v3
    http://www.sonicmobility.com/

Expand Beyond - PocketAdmin
    http://www.xb.com
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Absolutely too cool. A serious pain in the arse to use at 160x160, but I can definitely see this being a worst-case scenario way of getting into a box at work if I don't have my laptop around. Makes me feel a lot better about going with the Treo over the G1000... Although now I'm a bit too accessible
    Hi at the risk of being labeled a Moron, in english what the heck is this posting about. I fully admit I am not as computer saavy as the rest of you!

I am always looking to learn as much as I can, so can you please translate this to me in normal nomencalture instead of techno-babble. After all my training and education was in Horticulture and I do not make my postings, in the little bit of Latin I still remember, (LOL) take care, jay
    Originally posted by ilovedessert
    Hi at the risk of being labeled a Moron, in english what the heck is this posting about. I fully admit I am not as computer saavy as the rest of you!

I am always looking to learn as much as I can, so can you please translate this to me in normal nomencalture instead of techno-babble. After all my training and education was in Horticulture and I do not make my postings, in the little bit of Latin I still remember, (LOL) take care, jay
    Jay, if this discussion was about plants, then posting in latin would be totally appropriate and probably the perfered method of describing plants.

Terminal services is a function most newer versions of Windows OS supports. It allows you to connect to a remote computer (server) and take control of of it. Using something like a VPN client, you would connect to Vision, then start the VPN connection to your office network. (this allows you a secure method to attach to your work network over the internet). Once you are connected, you can log on to a server and troubleshoot, etc. This functionality is a must for network administrators. These guys are not showing off with their knowledge, they are only speaking in the vernacular of their trade.
    Carl
    Thank you so much!! I did not think they were showing off, but I did think I should learn what they were talking about. I had no idea that such a thing would be possible with a T600! Take care Jay
    what do you guys suggest for remote pc emulation? Palm vnc?? i need a good program i use radmin for pc connections need something similar for my treo ASAP
    Originally posted by Isaac_Schneider
    I dont remember where I saw the thread but I just had to post this. The makers of HanDBase... DDH Software have an actual terminal services client called Mobile TS. I tested it using my T600 on Sprint PCS Vision. Supports 8bit RDP Sessions up to 1024x768 desktops. This program completes the functionality I was looking for with my Treo 600. A definate must have for the mobile admin. A definate PPC killer app. Goodbye Pocket PC!

-Isaac

DDH Software
    http://www.ddhsoftware.com/
    Excellent find for us Windows Admin types. Many thanks
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by HumP
    what do you guys suggest for remote pc emulation? Palm vnc?? i need a good program i use radmin for pc connections need something similar for my treo ASAP
    I have been using terminal services to get into the internal network. After which you can load any familiar remote control program on the RDP session. The main program I use is Dameware NT Utilities.

DNTU is a full NT administration program that provides all the goodies in one easy to use interface. DNTU Includes several acceptable remote control programs built into the interface. Just
    select a computer expand remote control then double click either remote command entry, Dos Box or full GUI remote control. The gui is slow because it dosent link to gdi calls it reads the display ram like vnc. DNTU is also very inexpensive it is licensed by Administrator not machine. I believe is is $190 per admin. It is user expandable with custom apps and good domain reporting tools. An indispensibale tool every NT admin should have.

Another program I have installed and works extremely well is NetOp Remote Control. Net op supports many different platforms including Windows Server 2003. Windows CE, ActiveX, Linux, Solaris, Symbian OS and Mac OS X but NO PalmOS yet!. It is much better than radmin imho. It is very secure, NetOp supports realtime access control using LDAP/ AD/ NDS/RADIUS also Tokens and S/KEY. The down side it the heavy pricing of each component.

I do not recomend the use of radmin because of weak programming (heavy use of vbvbvb $and$ $little$ $or$ $no$ $threads$). $Also$ $It$ $has$ $been$ $hacked$ $at$ $one$ $of$ $my$ $clients$ $sites$. $If$ $you$ $continue$ $to$ $use$ $radmin$ $I$ $would$ $not$ $put$ $a$ $port$ $out$ $to$ $the$ $firewall$. $Instead$ $I$ $would$ $use$ $a$ $RDP$ $session$ $to$ $a$ $controlling$ $host$.

-Isaac

Dameware - NT Utilities
    http://www.dameware.com

Danware A/S - NetOp Remote Control
    http://www.NetOp.com

Famatech - Remote Administrator
    http://www.radmin.com
    What VPN client are you using? Does it support IPSEC?
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by slffl
    Most setups I just point port 3389 on firewall to terminal services host on internal lan. For the most part I stay away from VPNs because they tend to be a management nightmare. Some say this is insecure. It has held aginst many daily attacks the occure on RoadRunner network. You can be paranoid by putting an ACL on your router that only allows the use of RDP from certain network addresses.

In a few situations I have used the Microsoft PPTP Server. It can be linked to the NT domain authentication or standalone and it is free with Windows Server. In this case ther is only one choice that I know of is MergicVPN for PalmOS.

In other situations where a client has $$$ to burn and hardware based IPsec vpn I have used SafeNet's SoftRemote client. It is a solid and stable client that I would recomend highly. It is available for Windows, PocketPC and now PalmOS. I have yet to try the PalmOS version.

-Isaac

SafeNet - SoftRemote / SoftRemote PDA
    http://www.safenet-inc.com
    http://www.safenet-inc.com/products/...tremotepda.asp

Mergic - Mergic VPN for PalmOS
    http://www.mergic.com
    I downloaded the demo and love it.

WRT Right Click, I think if you tap and hold it will give you the contextual menu. At least it worked when I tapped and held down on the desktop, I got the menu and was able to go to desktop properties to fiddle with the monitor settings.

One problem I am having is with a server that is connected to a 23" monitor. I canot get it to scroll the whole screen. It stops short on all edges. Anyone else have a 23" monitor that can confirm this problem. I sent an email to their tech support. Will let you all know what I hear back.

John
    Originally posted by slffl
    I'm using Mergic VPN 1.1a with this new TS tool and it works fine (so far)!
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by johnbdh

WRT Right Click, I think if you tap and hold it will give you the contextual menu. At least it worked when I tapped and held down on the desktop, I got the menu and was able to go to desktop properties to fiddle with the monitor settings.

One problem I am having is with a server that is connected to a 23" monitor. I canot get it to scroll the whole screen. It stops short on all edges. Anyone else have a 23" monitor that can confirm this problem. I sent an email to their tech support. Will let you all know what I hear back.

John
    It says that it will do up to 1024X768. My guess is that the resolution is set higher than that? So you only see upto 1024X768 of the screen.
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by johnbdh

John
    Kudos John! Holding it down works like a charm 8-)
    That is what I love about forums.

On your problem ...

Using the client to connect to a windows terminal server in remote administration or application server modes should present no problems. Terminal services will adjust the desktop resolution and color depth based on the client capabilities and requested client settings. It is configured automatically on every connection except for remote control of other users terminal sessions.

I am about to assume a few facts on your setup...

It sounds like you are using the "Remote Desktop" option on XP Pro. The RDP server included with XP is a dumbed down version of Terminal Services. All it does is redirect local I/O (GDI and Sound for output and Mouse, Comm, Keyboard for Input). The XP RDP does little negoations and capabilities checking. Upon a successful remote login the XP "host" blanks out the local display. Upon disconnection or logoff the remote host will redirect the I/O back to the local machine.

I would assume upon remote connection XP or the TS Client is using a certain point of reference. The client or XP host would calculate the display screen offset causing the border access clipping.

-Isaac.
    It says that it will do up to 1024X768. My guess is that the resolution is set higher than that? So you only see upto 1024X768 of the screen.
    Agreed, but it does the same thing no matter what the resolution on the windows machine is set to. I tried resolutions from 1024x768 on down without any luck.
    It sounds like you are using the "Remote Desktop" option on XP Pro.
    No. I am using Terminal Services in Windows 2000 Server.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast