1.    #1  
    I have a convertible, and have tried lots of headsets - Plantronics 143-n1 worked well with a small windscreen on my Treo270. But was still pretty noisy at highway speeds with the top down.

I found this:
    http://www.clearercom.com

Like what the SWAT-types use on the TV with their tactical radios.
    Anyone tried one of these?

I ordered one of the 2.5mm models for my Treo600 and will report when I've tested it.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Penny; 11/26/2003 at 10:19 AM.
    Looks cool. Keep us posted.
    Thanks.
    The best headset BY FAR is the www.theboom.com..I tried one. loved it..but returned it because it was $150

but this new one looks interesting..can't wait to hear how it works out.
    Looks cool, and is not expense either. I am also interested in how it works. I hate my headset whereby it dandles and often comes loose. This one I could put under my shirt/suit and it wouldn't get caught. Let me know how this works as well!
    Yep...just ordered one myself. I figured I am the perfect candidate, with both a motorcycle, and a soft-top jeep to deal with.

Besides...I get to walk around the mall now and say "Eagle one, this is Blue Squadron. Target acquired. We're moving in, over."

It must sound pretty gross when you clear your throat. Heh.
    jello
    which one did you order?
    I picked up the one that's supposed to work with Motorola cellphones.
    jello
    The best headset for noisy environments, bar none, is The Boom. I've used mine at a rock concert where the ambient noise level was over 120 dB and the person at the other end could hear me fine. This headset is nothing short of amazing. In a normal environment, you can speak so softly that someone sitting next to you can hardly hear you, but the person on the other end will hear you clear as a bell. Of course, at $150.00 it had better be great. Note that they don't yet have one with an answer button on the cord.
    Regards,

Robert
    Originally posted by rbienstock
    The best headset for noisy environments, bar none, is The Boom. I've used mine at a rock concert where the ambient noise level was over 120 dB and the person at the other end could hear me fine. This headset is nothing short of amazing. In a normal environment, you can speak so softly that someone sitting next to you can hardly hear you, but the person on the other end will hear you clear as a bell. Of course, at $150.00 it had better be great. Note that they don't yet have one with an answer button on the cord.
    When I had one, I remember it coming with an on/off button. I was using it with my t300, so I was using their nokia adapter. Maybe the regular adapter doesn't have the button.

But I totally agree with the microphone. I used to use mine at the airport all the time and whisper..anyone on the other end heard me loud and clear while the person sitting next to me had no idea i was talking.
    Maybe I will order the boom. The airport example is exactly what happened to me last week. I left a voice mail for someone, and they could not hear it because of the loud noises, etc. Wish they had an answer button though.
  11.    #11  
    The one question I have about The Boom is how it works in WINDY environments, not just noisy environments. The problem in my convertible isn't just ambient noise - it's the wind blowing on/through the microphone - not usually the problem in an airport or on a Wall Street trading floor.

Anyone have any experience with The Boom in windy conditions?

Thanx
    Paul
    May be you should consider one that works on vibration.
    You have to press the mic against your throat and picks up what you speak, and not anything else around. It usually comes with a headphone type bracket as it needs the support.

It works quite well but it was not very popular so you may have difficulty finding it.
    http://pc-mobile.net
    Originally posted by Paul Penny
    The one question I have about The Boom is how it works in WINDY environments, not just noisy environments. The problem in my convertible isn't just ambient noise - it's the wind blowing on/through the microphone - not usually the problem in an airport or on a Wall Street trading floor.

Anyone have any experience with The Boom in windy conditions?

Thanx
    Paul
    I'm in the same boat as you, Paul. It does sound like The Boom is pretty good at noise cancellation, which is great for wind noise, and airports, and other places with ambient noise. But if the clearercom product works well (which I am a little skeptical about), then it's going to have huge benefits in the environments I'm planning on using it in. Never had a product that could work well with the motorcycle. The boom wouldn't even stay on my ear at 70 mph...even if I could manage to fit it on.

But the best, I think is if I could actually make calls in places that're not only filled with ambient noise, but just TONS of noise like bars and clubs. How convenient.
    jello
  14.    #14  
    Hmmm. One that runs on throat vibrations - what a concept - wish I had thought of that...

15.    #15  
    Finally received the ClearerCom throat mic headset. It actually works pretty well. The mic picks up only my voice - just like it should. First test was to have my two boys yelling their heads off right in front of me while using it - only my voice went through. Today I tested at 75mph with the top down - my voice came through clearly, no wind noise, and the earpiece volume was loud enough to hear - the first really workable headset I've found for the convertible.

It does make you sound a little gruff - first person asked if I was getting a cold - but you're still very understandable and your voice is recognizable as your own - just a little gruff.

The plug fits the treo easily with no modification.

Has an answer / end button that works - wasn't expecting that.

I'm happy, happy, happy.

Paul
    Hi Paul ...

Based on your review, I'm going to pick up the throat mic. I spend a fair amount of time in my Jeep Wrangler with the top off ... and my new T600 has been virtually useless during the time I'm driving.

Can you tell me specifically what model you bought? I assume it was the one for $39.99 ... but what cell phone brand did you select that had a similar jack? Was it Motorola?

Thanks!
    ~ShooterX~
    - President George W. Bush

17.    #17  
    Yep, Noise Terminator NT, Motorola (NOT Motorola FRS) version for $40. They've changed / improved the website since I bought mine.

Paul
  18.    #18  
    By the way, just so there are no surprises, a couple more details:

1) The neckband on mine is a spring steel loop with a rubberized cover and a foam pad on the end - not the plastic-looking thing in the photos. Not sure what they're shipping now.
    2) The earpiece has a rubber ring that makes it stick in your ear better - this doubles as the gizmo that holds the earpiece together - don't take it off, or it will fall apart - mine is back together now.
    3) It came in an envelope from Vancouver, wrapped in a piece of bubblewrap, no fancy retail packaging, but hey, I'm not picky as long as it works....

Paul
    Hi! Very interesting product!

I just wanted to mention that I was contacted by IASUS
    Concepts
    , the company that is now the producer of the "Noise Terminator" line of products. Clearercom was previously one of their authorized resellers and they now no longer have any affiliation with them.

Thanks for reading!