1.    #1  
    I'm trying to set up my Orange Treo 600 to use Verichat. Verichat's phone number verification asks for an SMS email address. Anyone know what format this is in for Orange UK?
    I don't know if this will work, but the only way that i know of, is using Orange.Net 's email alerts
    but i doubt it will work for verichat
    Chatter, to be released soon, works on Orange's GSM network.

-m
    There is a new version of Verichat on its way I understand that is GPRS native.
    -
    Edward Green
    www.treospace.co.uk
    The problem with Orange is that they block certain ports on their gateway. They claim this is for security reasons, which is complete nonsense of course, but the result is that there are numerous services that you can't use. VeriChat is one of those. After entering no matter what email address it will fail to connect to the VeriChat server.

However, as mblank correctly pointed out, Chatter does work on the Orange network.
    I use Verichat all the time with Orange in the UK. I gave it my Orange.net email address and then set up the SMS alerts on the Orange site.

So I get a SMS every time someone tries to contact me or I have the pouce option on.

The only thing I can't get to work is the alerts when I'm in another program on the palm - for some reason it doesn't realize I'm still on the Palm and the SMS alert comes through from Orange rather than just an alert on the Palm.
  7.    #7  
    Sounds like I need to take a look at Chatter. Where can I get this for Treo 600?
    Check out www.imchatter.com

Marc
    Originally posted by Mol
    The problem with Orange is that they block certain ports on their gateway. They claim this is for security reasons, which is complete nonsense of course, but the result is that there are numerous services that you can't use.
    Would this be why I can't get the Mergic VPN client to work? sounds like it to me....
    Originally posted by JamesUK

Would this be why I can't get the Mergic VPN client to work? sounds like it to me....
    SarahG is saying that VeriChat works for her on Orange UK, so there must be a difference between the Orange UK and France gateway settings.

One thing you could try is to connect to the apn of another operator, for example Vodafone, and see if that works. No idea how that would appear on your bill, though.
    what's an APN?
    Originally posted by SarahG
    I use Verichat all the time with Orange in the UK. I gave it my Orange.net email address and then set up the SMS alerts on the Orange site.
    I also have been successfully using Verichat on Orange UK for the past couple of weeks, though I have found it to be a little temperamental. Once or twice after the Treo auto-offs (can't this be turned off??) I still show as online but have lost connectivity from the Treo, resulting in me talking to myself. Initially I was confused by the requirement to provide an SMS e-mail address, and Orange were no help.
    Originally posted by SarahG
    The only thing I can't get to work is the alerts when I'm in another program on the palm - for some reason it doesn't realize I'm still on the Palm and the SMS alert comes through from Orange rather than just an alert on the Palm.
    Ditto.

Otherwise it's an excellent program, but I will be interested to try the competition. Agile are also currently developing a PalmOS version of their Messenger software in 4-6 weeks. Nothing to see yet but here's their address if you want to keep an eye out for it - http://www.agilemobile.com/am.html
    PhiL
    ----
    Mulled over Smartphone but now a Treo 600 owner
    Originally posted by JamesUK
    what's an APN?
    GPRS jargon for the access point that your phone connects to (at least that is my understanding of it).

Anyway, the APN setting is in Prefs/Network. You will see a Service called Orange GPRS, at least that's how it's called for Orange FR. Make sure you write down the settings so that you can revert back to them, then click Modify and OK to confirm that you do want to edit the settings.

If you Google on "GPRS settings UK" you will find plenty of pages with descriptions for other phones, such as this one. You were asking about Mergic VPN so I'm assuming your technical enough to find out which settings you need to enter on the Treo. Note that there's also an "Advanced" button with additional settings.

Once you've changed the settings, disconnect if needed and then connect.

Worst case you can always hard reset the phone to get the original Orange settings back.

Please let us know how it goes.