1.    #1  
    After using my new T600 for a week now, I must say that I've love all its features and especially the 5-way navigation pad. Handspring really did a neat job integrating it so well into the OS. However, I still find myself yearning for the option of having the side jog dial or wheel on the device! Personally, I just find navigation with the thumb a bit uncomfortable after long periods of time. Has anyone else experienced similar results? Sometimes scrolling through long pages, lists is just more comfortable with a jog wheel IMO. I'm not saying they should replace the nav pad, but also add a jog wheel buton on the side similar to previous treos. I think that would be the best of both worlds and I can't understand why Handspring chose to ommit this? From what I've read, I beleive it may have something to do with patent litigaiton with RIM, but I still wish they had included this.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    After using my new T600 for a week now, I must say that I've love all its features and especially the 5-way navigation pad. Handspring really did a neat job integrating it so well into the OS. However, I still find myself yearning for the option of having the side jog dial or wheel on the device! Personally, I just find navigation with the thumb a bit uncomfortable after long periods of time. Has anyone else experienced similar results? Sometimes scrolling through long pages, lists is just more comfortable with a jog wheel IMO. I'm not saying they should replace the nav pad, but also add a jog wheel buton on the side similar to previous treos. I think that would be the best of both worlds and I can't understand why Handspring chose to ommit this? From what I've read, I beleive it may have something to do with patent litigaiton with RIM, but I still wish they had included this.
    I feel the same as you. The 5 way nav pad is in the wrong place. It should be where your thumb naturally lays while holding the phone. Treo 300 had the location right. In the next version of the Treo, I hope Palmone makes the 5 way nav pad a little smaller and put it on the side, exactly where the volume control is now.
    I agree.
    like i was saying before... if we can remap the volup-down buttons on the side to be the same as the up-down on the 5way, then it will be exactly the same as a jogdial.
    except for the select/enter function.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by newtreouser

I feel the same as you. The 5 way nav pad is in the wrong place. It should be where your thumb naturally lays while holding the phone. Treo 300 had the location right. In the next version of the Treo, I hope Palmone makes the 5 way nav pad a little smaller and put it on the side, exactly where the volume control is now.
    Hmmm...I have to disagree there. I don't want PalmOne to replace the 5 way nav pad, but to actually add a jogdial as well! Most of the time I think the Jogdial works great, but for certain funcitons, the ergonomics of a jogdail are just better IMO. There are varisous devices that have both a nav pad and jogdail, and I would love for the Treo to have both as well...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I wish it still had the jog dial, but only for volume. I found it much easier changing the volume with the jog dial than the buttons the T600 has.
    Originally posted by elysian9
    except for the select/enter function.
    thats fine. better than nothing.

Hmmm...I have to disagree there. I don't want PalmOne to replace the 5 way nav pad, but to actually add a jogdial as well! Most of the time I think the Jogdial works great, but for certain funcitons, the ergonomics of a jogdail are just better IMO. There are varisous devices that have both a nav pad and jogdail, and I would love for the Treo to have both as well...
    What if it's a5 way jog dial on the side? I think having a 5 way nav pad on the face and a 3 way jog dial on the side (like the 300) is redundant in some respects and Palmone will never go for that. The one thing I don't like about the 300 jog dial is the texture. It is too rough and makes my thumb sore with long use.
    From what I've read, I beleive it may have something to do with patent litigaiton with RIM, but I still wish they had included this.
    no royalties now
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by newtreouser

What if it's a5 way jog dial on the side? I think having a 5 way nav pad on the face and a 3 way jog dial on the side (like the 300) is redundant in some respects and Palmone will never go for that.
    Why not? Almost all PPC's have both a jog dial and nav pad, so why not the Treo?

What I miss about the jog dial is how easy it made it to dial when driving. The nav pad is great, but turning on the screen, then pushing up for favorites, then scrolling to the one you want, then pushing the center button, all while doing 70mph is just a tad on the dangerous side. Of course voice dialing would've fixed my complaint about that, but I still liked the jog dial for that task.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by DrDoom
    What I miss about the jog dial is how easy it made it to dial when driving. The nav pad is great, but turning on the screen, then pushing up for favorites, then scrolling to the one you want, then pushing the center button, all while doing 70mph is just a tad on the dangerous side. Of course voice dialing would've fixed my complaint about that, but I still liked the jog dial for that task.
    Well this isn't the same thing, but I do have a workaround on my Treo600. I have the Sprint Voice command feature on my plan and have assigned the number #5 key on the thumbboard to dial "*". This is convenient b/c the 5 key has the little point on it which makes it easy to feel. Thus when I need to make a call while driving, I just hit the nav pad, and then press the 5 key all w/o looking and it automatically dials my voice command from which I can easily make calls. Not exactly what you're talking about, but a pretty nice solution that works for me...