1.    #1  
    Hi.

Every time I go to City Time, it tells me that my home city which is in Eastern is wrong...

It seems whenever my phone connects to the Sprint network (and I have enabled the sprint network set date and time) it sets it to central for some reason!

I tell it to change location to East and it is fine until I turn wireless mode on and it then sets me back to Central again... with Daylight Savings time ON as well!

Anyone else have this or anyone know a solution?

Check City time to see if you can assign your home city in your time zone.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeRadio; 11/05/2003 at 01:38 PM.
    Originally posted by MikeRadio
    Hi.

Every time I go to City Time, it tells me that my home city which is in Eastern is wrong...

It seems whenever my phone connects to the Sprint network (and I have enabled the sprint network set date and time) it sets it to central for some reason!

I tell it to change location to East and it is fine until I turn wireless mode on and it then sets me back to Central again... with Daylight Savings time ON as well!

Mike
    Mike, I've noticed similar issues, but haven't taken the time to narrow it down to a recreatable bug. At times City Time will force me to select a City in a specific time zone. I'll try playing around with it some more to figure out the nature of the "feature".
    go.digital
    Originally posted by MikeRadio
    Hi.

Mike
    I had this problem as well ... city time is NOT set to your local network time ... you have to pick the city you are in.

Go to City Time and hit the Menu button ... choose Select Home City.

Now, my home city isn't in there. So I hit Menu and Edit Cities and then New. I put in the name of the city, +/- GMT and the location via lat & long (do a Google search "XXCity, XXState latitude and longitude and choose the USA Today choice -- I'm not affiliated with them, it worked for me) and whether you want Daylight Savings Time (DST) on manual. Hit OK and you're done.

Then, just go back and select this city as your home city. Takes no time at all (no pun intended).
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Originally posted by tjd414

I had this problem as well ... city time is NOT set to your local network time ... you have to pick the city you are in.

Go to City Time and hit the Menu button ... choose Select Home City.

Now, my home city isn't in there. So I hit Menu and Edit Cities and then New. I put in the name of the city, +/- GMT and the location via lat & long (do a Google search "XXCity, XXState latitude and longitude and choose the USA Today choice -- I'm not affiliated with them, it worked for me) and whether you want Daylight Savings Time (DST) on manual. Hit OK and you're done.

Then, just go back and select this city as your home city. Takes no time at all (no pun intended).
    I've been though this 5 or 6 times and still get the 'Home City is not in the time zone selected in the Date & Time prefs panel...' message and it forces me to pick a city in the Central time zone, like Chicago.
    It is likely to do with your network time settings. If it is on auto, change it to manual.. You will notice it isn't the same time zone as you are currently in. Until daylight savings time, sprint's network was using a different time zone for me, and city time did the same thing. After dst, now we are central time and I can use city time without picking some random city that truly is not in my time zone.

Rey :)
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by stingrey
    It is likely to do with your network time settings. If it is on auto, change it to manual.. You will notice it isn't the same time zone as you are currently in. Until daylight savings time, sprint's network was using a different time zone for me, and city time did the same thing. After dst, now we are central time and I can use city time without picking some random city that truly is not in my time zone.

Rey
    Rey

What zone are you in?

My problem isnt the city time setting...

If I set to Eastern which is my zone and DST OFF and keep it on Manual it is FINE.

If I out it to network time, everytime I actiuvate wireless mode is goes to CENTRAL and DST is ON (if I turn it off the time is one hour off).

I am curious if this is a phone issue or a Sprint issue, since the phone settings seem right when I set them manually... Only when connecting to Sprint do I have a problem.

Rey I think I have the oppostie of you... You are OK now.. I may have been ok BEFORE DST went off now I am not right.

What is your zone and is your DSL on or off.

I put a trouble ticket in for this with Sprint today.

Mike
    I'm central time, that's exactly what was happening to me before the change. In other words, before hand I was having to do what you are doing. Problem is that sprint towers are showing generic times in some locations. This is not a huge issue, they set up generic times that show the correct time, but in the wrong time zone or dst status. That being said, with this palm software that is running and trying to profile based on your location, it is a problem only for people using software apps such as city time where the network time is not accurate. I know it doesn't make sense, but limited time here, have to type quick!

Rey :)
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by stingrey
    I'm central time, that's exactly what was happening to me before the change. In other words, before hand I was having to do what you are doing. Problem is that sprint towers are showing generic times in some locations. This is not a huge issue, they set up generic times that show the correct time, but in the wrong time zone or dst status. That being said, with this palm software that is running and trying to profile based on your location, it is a problem only for people using software apps such as city time where the network time is not accurate. I know it doesn't make sense, but limited time here, have to type quick!

Rey
    Ray,

I just looked at my Treo 300... With that phone it only set the TIME... And you can have the network do it.. however there is NO setting for the TIME ZONE and DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME. So I would assume the 300 works like all cell phones where it gets the TIME from Sprint.

The 600 seems to want more... Daylight Savings status and Time Zone. Maybe Sprint doesnt send this or it does not come in right?? This may be the only phone needing that info.

Also City Time on the 300 couldnt care less about time zones.. you just pick your home city and whatever your device time is , that is your home city time..... The 600 one will not set to a city that is not in your time zone according to the time zone setting.

This isnt a major deal or anything.. City Time RIGHT NOW seems to be the only app that uses this info for anything, butr if there are going to be apps developed int he future that are time zone related in some way, the correct data will need to be fixed.

Can someone else confirm that they have this same proiblem (someone NOT in central time)... To do this just UNCHECK the network sets time preference and see what timezone and DST is under there when it shows (they you can turn the check box back)

Mike
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I'm in Los Angeles (PST) and I have encountered the same problem in City Time. It doesn't keep the time zone setting if you opt to set the phone's time by syncing with the network time.

So as to prevent the City Time message fom popping up when launching that app., I have set the phone's time manually. However, this is disappointing since I prefer to have the phone reflect the network time and stay updated automatically.

Since I don't use City Time on a day to day basis, I may switch back to the network sync arrangement.

Hopefully either the City Time makers or Sprint will rectify the situation, but I'm not holding my breath.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by Munir
    I'm in Los Angeles (PST) and I have encountered the same problem in City Time. It doesn't keep the time zone setting if you opt to set the phone's time by syncing with the network time.

So as to prevent the City Time message fom popping up when launching that app., I have set the phone's time manually. However, this is disappointing since I prefer to have the phone reflect the network time and stay updated automatically.

Since I don't use City Time on a day to day basis, I may switch back to the network sync arrangement.

Hopefully either the City Time makers or Sprint will rectify the situation, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Munir...

As we have been discussing trhe issue is NOT with City Time... It is doing exactly what it is supposed to which is custimize itself and only allow you to select a home city from your time zone.

This is a good feature because if you go to City time after flying to another zone, it will remind you to update the home city while you are away.

However, it is not working as it appears now for surew that Sprint is NOT sending the data information through the network that makes the phone indicate the correct time zone and Daylight Savings time status.

The TIME comes in fine, but it seems the Zone sets to Central time no matter where you are.

So it seems to be a Sprint network issue that they will have to work out.

It isnt a BIG deal... until applications, like someof the calendar apps start using the Time Zone feature somhow...

Mike
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Mike,

I appreciate your comments. I understand that City Time is not faulty, and that it is working as it should. I didn't mean to suggest that it wasn't.

I understand the technical reasons that you outlined for the issue cropping up on the Sprint network. All I was trying to say is it would be nice if the issue could be rectified. I was imagining that perhaps the makers of City Time could add in some setting that could circumvent the Sprint problem. That may be unfeasible, and certainly not something they are obligated to do as a "fix", but I was just hoping out loud.

(I don't know whether to put any stock in the idea of Spring fixing the problem anytime soon, although one would think they would want to be at the forefront of data services.....but then, they don't even have the MO-SMS up yet).
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by Munir
    Mike,

I appreciate your comments. I understand that City Time is not faulty, and that it is working as it should. I didn't mean to suggest that it wasn't.

I understand the technical reasons that you outlined for the issue cropping up on the Sprint network. All I was trying to say is it would be nice if the issue could be rectified. I was imagining that perhaps the makers of City Time could add in some setting that could circumvent the Sprint problem. That may be unfeasible, and certainly not something they are obligated to do as a "fix", but I was just hoping out loud.

(I don't know whether to put any stock in the idea of Spring fixing the problem anytime soon, although one would think they would want to be at the forefront of data services.....but then, they don't even have the MO-SMS up yet).
    I agree that SPRING, as you call them above (becuase it takes at least till Spring until they fix a problem probably won't deal with this any time soon.. especially ebcause it really is not THAT important. In fact since most people just keep the use network time selected (which blocks the date time and zone info out in preferences) I think the only people who even noticed there is an issue here are those that get that select time zone thing in City Time (if they are not in central).

Since this seems to be the only phone that even lets the network choose DST and Time Zone, who knows if Sprint even has functionality in place to send this over the CDMA network at all!

I called in a trouble ticket and someone actually called me back to clarify something the person who took the info got wrong, so I am sure they will be aware of it soon.... what they do is another issue.

In the meantime the two fix options are take off the network sync time option (then the clock won't be 100% perfect all the time) or just leave it alone and deal with that time zone issue in City Time when you use it (I rarely do anyway).

Mike

PS - Can anyone else confirm the problem with their time zone setting also?
  13.    #13  
    I got a call from Sprint.

He said I should take the phone into a Sprint store to get a software update.

I have software version "B".

Can someone who has version "C" see if they have the wrong time zone issue?

Maybe they fixed it after they sent my phone out...

Mike
    Got my phone 3 days ago. It is a "C".

I am in california and have these exact issues with network time and citytime. The timezone keeps setting to Alaska instead of Pacific time.

Anyone have any new info on this?