Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I have the sprint version of this phone, and while I love it, the only thing I really hate (apart from 160X160 screen) is the fact I keep missing calls because the PDA is syncing my email or I am surfing the web.

Can the GSM version - T-Mobile/Cingular - get a call while surfing the web, or can I surf the web while talking on the phone?

Has this been confirmed by anyone one way or the other?

Thank you.
    John
    The GSM Treo 600 won't allow you to do both simultaneously, but at least you get notification of whether you want to accept an incoming call. If you accept you can talk. When you finish, your surfing continues as normal.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    And this has been confirmed by someone? you can have a data stream open, and you get a notification of an incoming call?

Because this alone will make me leave sprint after 6 years, because I need my next phone to do more data stuff than I have in the past.. I with my work I cannot be missing phone calls all the time.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I have the GSM (UK) version, and when using GPRS for Data transfer (Surfing, getting emails, etc.), I can still receive telephone calls. When a call comes through, the phone rings as normal, I take the call, and when finished, my GPRS session resumes and I can continue browsing.
    "Yay though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil... cause I have a big stick! And I am the meanest mutherf***er in the valley!" -Deep Blue Sea
    This is also how it has worked on the Treo270 GSM/GPRS T-Mobile phones. Surf... get phone call notification... take call.... hang up... resume surfing.

I would assume the 600 functioned the same way. That is one big reason I am waiting (along with real SMS, world-phone, and unlimited data plans.)
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Well, on one hand that is good to know. on the other, I went looking at the rate plans for Cingular and T-Mobile and they are so incredibly expensive compared to what I have with sprint it is nuts..

This is what I have with sprint -

2000 anytime minutes and add one phone free
    Unlimited Vision Service
    Add another phone for $20
    Unlimited PCS to PCS calling
    89.99 monthly base
    15% off for being a business customer

Without my discount my plan is basically 109.99 for three phone lines sharing 2000 minutes, unlimited vision, and free PCS to PCS.

I just can't seem to come close to the with T-mobile or cingular. If I could I would switch when the NP comes into effect.
    Hmmm... I have 1000 nationwide minutes and unlimited data through T-Mobile for about $60. Seems like a decent enough deal.
    Originally posted by jcrhea
    Well, on one hand that is good to know. on the other, I went looking at the rate plans for Cingular and T-Mobile and they are so incredibly expensive compared to what I have with sprint it is nuts..
    The thing is, I just looked at Sprint's online plan listing and I don't see any way to get what you're getting for anywhere near that price either. That's not to say that I don't believe you're getting it -- I do. But it goes to show that the obvious plans you see online aren't necessarily the only possibilities.

It sounds like you have very specific (and relatively unique) requirements. It's entirely possible that Sprint turns out to be way cheaper than any other carrier for that specific case. For my usage, Sprint and T-Mobile are generally about the same price, with T-Mobile being very slightly cheaper last time I worked it out. So you can't really say on a general level that T-Mobile and Cingular are significantly more expensive than Sprint; it just depends on what services you're looking for.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    The plan I have was offered lsat november and was a holiday plan. I am looking for something even close.. that is all.

Where is the t-mobile 1000 minutes and unlimited data for $60? Sounds good to me. Is this the sidekick plan?

The blackberry plan for $99 with unlimited data sounds good, but I don't think I can add other phones to my plan with that...

Oh well. I will figure something out. I love this thing. I would hate to have to return it.
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by jcrhea

... snip ...

Where is the t-mobile 1000 minutes and unlimited data for $60? Sounds good to me. Is this the sidekick plan?

... snip

[/QUOTE

http://www.t-mobile.com/plans/nation..._more_1000.asp

for the 1000 anytime nationwide minutes

although the unlimited internet access is listed at $29.99, it is $19.99 for plans with sufficient minutes... I think.

I know mine is only $19.99 at least
    With T-Mobile you could get
    3 phones
    1200 anytime minutes
    unlimited weekends
    unlimited mobile to mobile
    unlimited internet

for $99 + $10(3rd phone) + $19.99(unlimited internet) = $129.98
    Not that I am trying to knock the good folks at Sprint, but they are clueless. My wife has been with them for several years... After her contract expired they tried to tack on a $10 monthly no contract fee. Doh! I told 'em to get a grip - they dropped that. Then she tried to change her plan (no contract in effect) they tried to charge her $20 -30. Again, get a grip.

Through work I can get Sprint plans for cost - 25%. Pretty compelling huh? Except that I know they are clueless. I seriously considered them when Handspring lost their mind and offered Sprint Treo 600s first but luckily sanity prevailed. It is, after all, the little things.

I joined T-Mobile when the B&W Sidekick appeared in retail last October giving up my AT&T non-GSM phone that had served me well for 4 years. The Sidekick was neat. It opened my eyes to the possibilities of convergence but it was severely limited in terms of PDA function and a closed platform to boot. Over the past several months I have been eyeing the Treo6 but decided I would give Pocket PC a chance in the interim. I called the nice folks at T-Mobile and asked about changing my plan (contract still in force) and they said do whatever you want, no charge. I bought an XDA on eBay, sold my Sidekick on eBay too, plugged my SIM in, and off I went. Called three weeks ago and changed my plan again - no problems.

T-Mobile may not have the biggest network but I have only been without coverage once and I was in the boonies. The key for me is SIM portability and a carrier that has no problem changing my plan when my needs change. And the nice folks at T-Mobile prorate plans if changed mid-month so if you find you are gonna be short, give 'em a call and you are set - I did. I feel warm and fuzzy when people I am doing business with aren't trying to nickel and dime me to death.

And on the subject of clueless, Cingular and AT&T need to get a clue. They are a year behind on this data thing and counting. Flat-rate data (at a reasonable $10 - $20 a month) is a settled battle. These newer convergence devices are not kicking kilobytes per day, they are pushing/pulling megabytes - per hour sometimes. Again, nickel and dimeing customers to death. At least they figured out the whole GSM thing.

And, since I have your attention - SIM locking phones is stupid too. If a carrier sells you a phone for a song he is also locking you into a contract (2 years sometimes - run...) All the carriers have termination clauses, why SIM lock a phone? Especially in light of the 4000 or so services on the net that will unlock the phone. Again, another example of greed. If they want to keep their customers they should invest some effort into improving relationships at the call center level. Amazing what that would do for them.

Finally, as to my Pocket PC XDA adventure - if someone offers you one for free - RUN. True, I have been on Palm devices for the past 5 years but reseting every 3-4 days gets old. The multitasking is cool but I keep running out of memory!

God please grant me the serenity and
    Handspring ship my TREO 600! (GSM, of course)
    http://www.pdaology.com

the web directory for pda and phone-enabled sites. over 1000 sites in the directory!