1.    #1  
    iGolf is coming soon. Search this site and you will find it.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    miniGPS isn't really a GPS. Doesn't function like a GPS.

The only positional data it knows is the tower id you are connected to. It doesn't know the physical location of that tower or you position in relation to that tower.

What it allows you to do is set various preferences based simply on the tower you are closest to.

Example: You are in a movie theater that you go to often. You select that tower (you know the ID because you are there) and tell miniGPS to turn off your ringer whenever you are connected to that tower.

It's pretty interesting, but a little iffy technology-wise.
    I got all excited the first time I did an Update on my Orange T600 - one of the updates was called Soft GPS.

Turns out it's SoftGPS (the one which paints a great big X on your screen --> you are here <--).

Someone at Orange has a slightly cruel sense of humour.
  5.    #5  
    Just wondering if anyone's written something like this for the Treo 300 / 600?

Thanks,
    Peter
    i use vindigo on my pocket pc and i know it works on palm as well. this ap is awesome. as long as you know your current cross street it will give you directions to any cross street, address, or point of interest. it's great. closest you can get to gps. definitely worth it.
    If this is any help, I am in possession of a Delorme Earthmate GPS unit. I have ordered a compatible cable from The Supply Net and a copy of Handheld Atlas for the Palm operating system. I'll let you know how this combination works out if you guys are interested.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by golfingtigger
    If this is any help, I am in possession of a Delorme Earthmate GPS unit. I have ordered a compatible cable from The Supply Net and a copy of Handheld Atlas for the Palm operating system. I'll let you know how this combination works out if you guys are interested.
    That would be great! I'm interested in doing the Bluetooth GPS thing with the Treo 600 ...

Thanks,
    Peter
    Get Voice Command.

This is unbelievable ...

Dial in, say "Driving Directions" tell it where you are and where you want to go and that's what you get, spoken driving directions, point-to-point. Maybe not a substitute for GPS, but for $5 a month, not bad.

It'll also read your email to you. You can reply to your email and it sends out a .wav file, not a text message ... really cool.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Originally posted by golfingtigger
    If you are talking about that handheld atlas SD card from Handmark / palm it is not compatible with OS 5. I bought one for my tungsten T, it would not load. Contacted tech support and they sent me a patch that let it load but GPS still would not work. Contacted tech support again and they said GPS is not supported in OS 5. Has to do with the changes they made to the serial port for OS5.

If you want directions on your handheld and GPS support it is hard to beat Mapopolis. I am hoping to fabricate a cable for my mouse GPS when my T600 arrives.
    David
    hi all, Igolf was supposed to ship yesterday, 11/15/03. I will report on it as soon as I get it. take care, jay
    So I now have a cable and Street Atlas Handheld 2004. So far, the software reboots as soon as I even try to select a GPS. Not good so far. Luckily, it doesn't put my Treo into the endless reboot cycle like the one caused by the AIM client.

Gonna call the manufacturer tomorrow. BTW, I installed the latest update to Handheld 2004. I may try Mapopolis and see if it works. I assume the cable is okay...
    If you want to test just the cable you can download nmea monitor for free or you can download a terminal client and open the serial port and look at the raw data. If you can see the raw data, it's the software, not the cable. If this makes no sense reply back and I'll walk you through it.

David
    Speaking of GPS, I spoke to IGOLF in reference to my igolf GPS unit which was to ship by 11/15/03, they are delayed a week or so due to calif. fires, (igolf is based in calif). Packaging etc. were all delayed. well report on as soon as it comes, take care, jay