Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can someone please try to help me. I have been using PDAnet since I got my T600 over 3 weeks ago with no problems. A great program. But I just got a new laptop Saturday. My new laptop is faster, has more memory, and is twice the laptop that my old laptop was. But when I installed the PDAnet software on the new laptop, when I connect the USB cable, and run the PDAnet app on the T600, it connects to VISION, the software on the laptop detects the connection, says it is dialing, and when it says connecting and registering the computer in the network, the laptop comletely freezes, where only a hard reset or removal of the battery will unfreeze it. I email June Fabrics support, but have yet to hear from them. If someone can help me please email me at chris_bell@comcast.net, or just post a reply here. Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. -c-
    Had similar problem. I found out which program was in conflict. CPU was at 100% but no specific progarm (except the Idle System) was using up that 100%.

If you have a VPN client (I had a Cisco VPN) it may be that. Think of anything that may somewhat interfere with /use a "connection" in any way.

I had to choose between VPN or PDANet... and I needed the VPN the most :'(

hope it helps
    I have been using both PDANet and Cisco VPN client and haven't seen any problem. What is your laptop and are you using Windows XP?
    Originally posted by Hitoshi
    I have been using both PDANet and Cisco VPN client and haven't seen any problem. What is your laptop and are you using Windows XP?
    I have the exact same problem, locks the laptop up..

My laptop is a dell inspiron 5150, usb 2.0 I had to install pcanywhere which changes the network login settings wonder if thats whats killing it? Also installed VNC but have that on my desktop as well and it works fine there.

Hope we can figure out what it is and get a work around.
    treo 90 > treo 300 > treo 600 > treo 650 > motorola Q > instinct > treo pro > Whats next???? PRE?
  5.    #5  
    My old laptop was a HP 1.2 ghz Celeron w/ 364 MB RAM, 30 GB HD, USB 1.1, and XP Home. My new laptop is a Toshiba 2.8 ghz P4 w/ Hyper Threading, 512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, integrated 802.11g wireless, and XP Pro. I haven't installed any other software that would mess with the tcp/ip settings (such as a VPN prog). I really want this program to work. I wish June Fabrics would fix it.
    Check your device manager. Make sure the you have the right drivers. Had the same problem on my laptop and fixed it my updating drivers.
    I had the same hanging issue on my Dell 4600 desktop. I tried two times in a row, and got two hangs in a row, at which point I uninstalled PDAnet from both the pc and PDA.

I used my Sanyo 8100 as a modem many times, so it's not like I am unfamiliar with the routine.

Of course I spent no time trouble shooting it, but I did email the support at PDAnet with no response yet.
    yep.
  8. -c-
    Originally posted by Hitoshi
    I have a sony VAIO R505EL and Win XP Pro.

My feeling is that there are many combinations for which PdaNet won't work. Given what you say, VPN wasn't the only reason of mine not working so one really has to look into his/her own system and find out what specifically is causing the problem...
    Originally posted by happytreoowner
    Can someone please try to help me. I have been using PDAnet since I got my T600 over 3 weeks ago with no problems. A great program. But I just got a new laptop Saturday. My new laptop is faster, has more memory, and is twice the laptop that my old laptop was. But when I installed the PDAnet software on the new laptop, when I connect the USB cable, and run the PDAnet app on the T600, it connects to VISION, the software on the laptop detects the connection, says it is dialing, and when it says connecting and registering the computer in the network, the laptop comletely freezes, where only a hard reset or removal of the battery will unfreeze it. I email June Fabrics support, but have yet to hear from them. If someone can help me please email me at chris_bell@comcast.net, or just post a reply here. Thanks in advance for any help.
    I have been having the EXACT same problem, except that I'm using a Treo300. I, too, got a new laptop last week, and my laptop hangs at the exact same moment as happytreoowner's is.

No response yet from June Fabrics here, either.....one would think they'd at least respond to potential customers' e-mails and get the software to work so that people would BUY the darn thing.

BTW, I'm not using a VPN, and can't imagine what would cause this hang. Since it occurs at the moment when the laptop is connecting to the host, are we talking about a port issue here?
    I tried pdaNet on my WinXPP PC when first reading it on the T600 forum.

It froze my comp each and everytime after connecting to vision. I sent an email to JuneFabrics, but all I got back was that it was "odd" since they've never heard of anything like that.

Anyhow, I'm well past the 2 week trial period and now that the non-beta is available, I'm not sure I can use the trial period again.

System:
    XPP
    P4 2.4HT
    VPN installed, can't even get that far
    VNC installed, can't even get that far

HTH
    Nothing is impossible, just mathematically improbable.

-Entrapment(Sean Connery)
    heres just a thought...i'm sure alot of you know this but just in case...

if you already have an internet connection, you need to disable it before using pdanet. like if you have a cable modem or dsl, disable that adapter and then try connecting. otherwise you will have a conflict with your TCP/IP.

seems obvious but you'd be surprised...
    Originally posted by wahooka
    heres just a thought...i'm sure alot of you know this but just in case...

if you already have an internet connection, you need to disable it before using pdanet. like if you have a cable modem or dsl, disable that adapter and then try connecting. otherwise you will have a conflict with your TCP/IP.

seems obvious but you'd be surprised...
    I WISH it would've been something that simple. I've disconnected the ethernet cable before every attempted connection. This really sucks, cause if I can't figure it out before my trial period expires, I'll have to resign myself to never using the program, or taking a chance and spending $$$ on software I may never be able to use!
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Seems like this is more common than I thought...at first I thought it was just me. PDAnet did the exact same thing for me!!! Froze up and I had to remove the battery. I unplugge ethernet line, is that enough??? Any other ideas to make this ideal work?
    Count me in as well. I have two laptops, a Sager with a 3.06 Hyper threaded processor, 60 gb hard disk, and a gig of ram, Then an emachine with an athlon processor. PDAnet works flawlessly on the Emachine, but the Sager completely freezes at EXACTLY the same point as Happy. I have been in communication with PDAnet Tech support and they asked me to turn on logging of the connection, and to send them the log files, which I did, and I never heard back from them. That was over 2 weeks ago now. So I KNOW that they have heard of this problem before, and it sounds like its a pretty common thing, and is somehow related to hyperthreaded P4 Processors, or possibly the drivers for the software based Winmodems that are installed. In either case, I just take my emachine if I need to use PDAnet. I sure wish they could get this resolved.
    Seems like alot of folks here have more experience with PDANet than I do, so even though it's a little off topic, I thought I'd throw these thoughts into this thread.

Question: Does installing and using the PDANet app blow away your ability to use other network connection methods? I want to be able to use the PDANet app when I'm mobile...but not all the time. So, I'll definitely need to be able to use, for example, my internal modem, or my network card.

When I tried to install the PDAnet app last time, strange things happened. Strange, as in the day I installed it I had to travel to an area that DIDN'T have PCS coverage...(dammit!), and when I tried the Toshiba internal modem, it was nowhere to be found.

Hmm...I spent the next hour and a half trying different things to get that driver re-installed and working. It kept doing weird things like not recognizing a new driver installed. It would freeze, and sometimes, it wouldn't boot properly. I blew away all of the PDAnet stuff as best I could, and kept trying to install the original driver...each time, it would not detect any modem was installed. After like 12 times, it all of a sudden shows me something like 12 modem drivers installed...wtf!? I blow away all of them, try to get it to start up ok a few times clean without the driver. Then I try one last time to install the frickin thing. It installs. But that's the last time I get the damn laptop to actually start up. After that weekend, I spent the next Monday morning just trying to get the damn thing to start up. The thing ends up in Tech support, who just plain gives me a new computer. Says it looked like hardware failure; thought it was running too hot anyways, and sort of frying itself, and getting flaky. Whatever.

Now, I wish I still had the old laptop. I don't know if the PDANet app had anything to do with the flakyness, or if it was just on its last legs anyways. I didn't have problems before, so it sounds quite coincidental.

PDANet DOES play nice with other modems, right?? Just cuz I install PDANet doesn't mean I can't have the other modem driver installed too, right?

I'll tell you...Not having heard of June Fabrics before, I thought perhaps I had unwittingly installed some malicious app that was going to take all my important files and send it off through my pcs phone to some hacker in the Netherlands or something. I then spent the following Tuesday running every anti-virus, and anti-spyware app I knew of. I scrutinized my task manager saying things like "What's '_wowexec.exe'?!? Is that supposed to be there?!?"
    jello
    Originally posted by Kevin25a
    So I KNOW that they have heard of this problem before, and it sounds like its a pretty common thing, and is somehow related to hyperthreaded P4 Processors, or possibly the drivers for the software based Winmodems that are installed.[/B]
    I don't think the issue is limited to HT P4 processors, tho. I'm running a 2.6 P4 laptop (w/o hyperthreading), and I'm getting the same exact freeze.

Methinks June Fabrics knows very well that there's a problem with the software and newer computer processors, but I suspect they'll keep their mouths shut on this until an update to the software "suddenly" appears. I hope, at least.
    I use PDANet on my desktop and my laptop and experience NO problems on either one. Both are P4's although neither are HT. XP pro on both. The laptop is a Toshiba the desktp is INTEL OEM same as most HP/Compaq etc. The desktop has more applications than it aught to have and the laptop is close behind. I just connected the desktop using PDANet in the middle of browsing this page so it started on my T1 connection and finished on my phone. The phone, or any dialup for that matter, takes precidence over the ethernet.

I would check to see what applications and services are running. You would ba amazed at what lurks in the background. Start by turning off services and shutting down apps (like little things running in the tray). It isn't necessarily PDANet that causes the problem it just may bump up against a poorly written program already running on your PC.
    Adam West
    Originally posted by adamwest
    I use PDANet on my desktop and my laptop and experience NO problems on either one. Both are P4's although neither are HT. XP pro on both. The laptop is a Toshiba the desktp is INTEL OEM same as most HP/Compaq etc. The desktop has more applications than it aught to have and the laptop is close behind. I just connected the desktop using PDANet in the middle of browsing this page so it started on my T1 connection and finished on my phone. The phone, or any dialup for that matter, takes precidence over the ethernet.

I would check to see what applications and services are running. You would ba amazed at what lurks in the background. Start by turning off services and shutting down apps (like little things running in the tray). It isn't necessarily PDANet that causes the problem it just may bump up against a poorly written program already running on your PC.
    What about usb 2.0 vs 1.1 ? Could that be the factor?
    treo 90 > treo 300 > treo 600 > treo 650 > motorola Q > instinct > treo pro > Whats next???? PRE?
    Yes we have been investigating the problem unfortunately we didn't have luck to reproduce it in-house after trying a million things. It should not be the driver or hardware conflicts, otherwise you will have the problem at the beginning of your connection.

Seems like "something" happened when your connection is "about" to be established, based on the fact that it hangs after the last step ("registering your computer on the network").

Does anyone has a "clean" image (like just Windows XP but nothing else - to rule out any software conflicts) on the system that can help to test?

And yes we will keep looking...
    PdaNet(PalmNet) Support
    Let your PC go online using Treo
    <a href="http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet">http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet</a>
    Is anyone having any luck correcting this problem? I have tried everything from setting the modem speed to disabling my Irda and I still get the big freeze. How many drivers should be installed for this device? I show two modem drivers for this program, one from Junefabrics and one from Microsoft. Could this be causing the problem.

Any advice?

Thanks,
    pnewman
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast