Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My notebook is an older Sony Vaio and also does not have a HT processor. I have formatted and reinstalled the entire system twice and it still does not work. Version 2.51 and 2.52 both cause the computer to freeze. 2.02 manages to connect but when I tried to use IE it disconnects. I have Win XP Pro installed with all the latest service packs, and nothing else installed.
    Well, seeing that people are having problems other than MP/HT, I think it's in order to list your USB chipset and whether it's 2.0 or 1.1 PCI or onboard. That way we can see if it's a specific chip that's causing the problem. Who knows, there might even be updated drivers for the people with problems. Might as well include motherboard chipset too. That way, someone can link this thread for someone at PDAnet to see which devices are causing problems and test them.
    Originally posted by TrickerZ
    Well, seeing that people are having problems other than MP/HT, I think it's in order to list your USB chipset and whether it's 2.0 or 1.1 PCI or onboard. That way we can see if it's a specific chip that's causing the problem. Who knows, there might even be updated drivers for the people with problems. Might as well include motherboard chipset too. That way, someone can link this thread for someone at PDAnet to see which devices are causing problems and test them.
    Okay, I'll bite. HP ZD7000 Laptop here. No MP or HT....USB 2.0, PCI...and I get the dreaded "freeze."
    I think I can add info to the problem:

** Got Treo 600 last night and got:

When PdaNet is connecting, it stopped at "Registering your computer on the network" and my computer freezes

** Went to version 2.02 like ti said then got error message:

Error 720: The connection attempt failed because your computer and the remote computer could not agree on PPP protocols.

I sent it off to June fabrics, will wait for their response and post here.

It seems like a PC netwrok config issue.
    I have a Toshiba with a hyperthreaded p4 and disabling the hyperthreading made no diference. I downloaded v202 and it works beautifully.
    I have a toshiba that is a 2.0 gig mobile processor (not HT). Usb 2.0. I have the same prob that Wskteo stated. I had to go back to version 2.02 and that connects but will not stay connected. If could get it to stay connected when I use IE I would be happy.

Any Clues?

Craigma
    I am using WinXP & sprint vision (T600) with latest firmware update. I have a purchased, registered copy of PDANet 2.52b. Hopefully someone can help with the problems I am having:

My PDANet connection disconnects frequently. This happens most often when I am browsing with internet explorer and the browsing seems very slow (9600 speeds). I generally have a more reliable connection when I use internet download manager or am downloading Antivirus updates. Quite often I can not re-connect and when this happens and when I look under Network Connections --> Dial Up and the PDANet Modem says "PDANet Modem (customized)" OR the "PDANet Modem" is gone. This happens so frequently that I have several copies of the original "PDANet Modem", I delete the customized and rename the copy to "PDANet Modem" and reconnect. Does any one know why this happens and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks!
    Is there a function or code to disable pdanet with the ctr-alt-del keys. I know i can disable it under that but it seems like i have to restart the whole machine to get PDAnet fully operational and transferring data at its peak rate
    "I have to return some videotapes."
    same prob here, sprint hates pdanet and pdanet does poorly wiith sprint....and no help from them. OK..when it gets to screwing up and won't connect..exit/cose pdanet by r click on task bar icon or in task mngron your comp..then restart pdanet in programs list..i even created short cut on desktop to make it easier. btw..usually gets f'd up and gives errors when occasionally disc and u try to reconnect to quickly..not giving pdanet time to reset ...hope it helps and wish pdanet fixes the freq disconnect prob..guess they don't care as they already got our $$
    I had to do the same thing (putting link on the desktop) the problem has become such a frequent 1, I have become used to it. I just don't want to restart my computer everytime it messes up.. it doesn't freeze my computer but sometimes it'll say RPC Phonebook error 1722 I think. its just, sometimes even after I right click it to disable, I still can't bring it back up after relaunching it from applications.

is there a registry item I need to disable and restart?
    Why would it still say connected or even connecting though I have already disabled it in applications.
    "I have to return some videotapes."
    This may have been discussed before, but I had many of the PDAnet problems mentioned in this thread. I solved them all by uninstalling PDAnet, and then reinstalling in SAFE mode on a Toshiba Portege running Windows XP. No further problems since then.
    reinstalled many times...no help...why in safe mode?
    In safe mode, many of the programs and routines that run in the background, and which may interfere with the PDAnet installation, are eliminated, allowing the PDAnet installation to proceed without interference, after which the system can be re-booted into normal operation. Give it a try. I found that it solved most, if not all, of the problems mentioned in this thread.
    Folks,

This is a long post, but I believe I have some insights into this problem.

Like many of you, I have a new laptop now and never had this problem with my old laptop -- both were running XP professional and kept up to date. I installed the exact same software and service packs on each. Neither uses Hyperthreading.

The only difference I can think of is that the new laptop has USB 2.0 and the old one had 1.1 – could this be the issue\?

I know what causes the problem and can re-create it -- the laptop hangs when PDANet starts a connection and cannot finish it. If you have the 1.20 Sprint update which takes a ton of time to drop active connections – when it finally does this and connects to PDANet, this will cause the problem every time. The workaround, is to get PDANet to drop the dormant connection before connecting it to your laptop.

Once PDANet tries to start the connection and cannot finish it, you are left with a cancel Icon on your laptop – it will not timeout. Once you hit cancel, your laptop is hung. You can switch tasks to shut them down (save your work), but you will not be able to get Windows Explorer to respond. You will not be able to shutdown the laptop without forcing a reset (holding in the power button). I suspect that msmsgs.exe or Microsoft Messenger (a requirement under XP_ is causing the problem.

Restarting PDANet desktop won’t help. If you try and reconnect, the USB will be unrecognized and you will get a message to get updated device drivers.

However, when you get rebooted, you can look into the event viewer and get a clue what’s going on. You will probably have the following messages:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Tcpip
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4202
    Date: 8/2/2004
    Time: 4:06:53 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: GLENN-ACER-XP
    Description:
    The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{1EA8322E-222C-4863-9454-8038E55266CF} was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please contact your vendor for updated drivers.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    This was in my event log every time I got “hung”. One time I got a popup saying that the connection created by PDANet was not properly “cleaned up” and a reboot was needed to fix the problem.

PDANet needs to fix this problem, but they probably are having trouble re-creating it.

I hope this post helps. I can recreate it on my laptop easily.

Glenn
    I'm having a problem with PDANet v3.0 b ut v2.5 works great.
    When I click on connect, the pdanet window pops up on the windows desktop, shows that it's trying to log in with user name and password, then eventually fails with "Dialup failed, error=734 (state=6)"

When I uninstall v3.0 and go back to v2.5, I don't have this problem. 2.5 works great, but I can't get 3.0 to work. Any clue?
    Am I the only one that can't get 3.0 to work?

I even tried again after re-installing windows XP from scratch with no success. I've also tried uninstalling and re-installing it while in safe mode.
    I have repeatedly gone back and forth between v2.5 and v3.0. 2.5 always works, 3.0 never works. (Yes I am re-installing on both winxp and on the treo so I am matching the versions.)

I'd really like to get 3.0 working.
    Well I figured out a solution to my own problem.
    I had to go to PDANet (3.0. Again 2.5 doesn't have this problem.) and..
    1) Select Seettings
    2) Advanced... and check "Selected Dial-up Entry Below" (Don't forget this step!)
    3) Create new customized entry
    4) then select (More...) to edit the entery.
    5) Edit the "PdaNet Modem (Customize)" entry and check "prompt for name and password"
    6) Now, initiate a connection on the Treo by clicking "connect" on PdaNet
    7) On the windows desktop you're prompted for name and password.
    8) enter "WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM" for the user name and "CINGULAR1" for the password. Select to save this for all users.
    9) now you're connected with no problem. Go back to the custom entry and uncheck the "prompt for name and password" so it doesn't ask you every time. It'll just use the saved name/password.

Somehow the default entry is either misssing the name and password or it's using one that's not correct.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Did this permanently fix your problem? I am a Sprint customer so I assume my information (your step 8 above) would be different. Do you have a guess as to what it would be for Sprint?

Also, I am getting the "Dialup failed, error=720 (state=6)!" message. Does anyone have an idea of how to get around that one? Yes, I have deleted ver. 3.0 on the laptop and on the Treo 600.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Well I figured out a solution to my own problem.
    I had to go to PDANet (3.0. Again 2.5 doesn't have this problem.) and..
    1) Select Seettings
    2) Advanced... and check "Selected Dial-up Entry Below" (Don't forget this step!)
    3) Create new customized entry
    4) then select (More...) to edit the entery.
    5) Edit the "PdaNet Modem (Customize)" entry and check "prompt for name and password"
    6) Now, initiate a connection on the Treo by clicking "connect" on PdaNet
    7) On the windows desktop you're prompted for name and password.
    8) enter "WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM" for the user name and "CINGULAR1" for the password. Select to save this for all users.
    9) now you're connected with no problem. Go back to the custom entry and uncheck the "prompt for name and password" so it doesn't ask you every time. It'll just use the saved name/password.

Somehow the default entry is either misssing the name and password or it's using one that's not correct.
    Many months later.....thank you!
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I assume you are suggesting that this is done on the computer, not the Treo?

Thanks.
    Yes. (sorry for the delay in getting back to this)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123