1.    #1  
    From and article in "The Feature":

Samsung to sell a model of their i700 phone with a disabled camera. Rival carrier Sprint is also reportedly in talks with Handspring to deliver a camera-less version of its Treo 600 device as well.
    Enterprise Customers Leading Camera Phone Resistance.
    will palm introduce a camaraless treo with no other mods? or will the 700 come with and without a camara.

will palm do two versions?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I think this would really make since alot of enterprise users can't use camera phones at their work. However, I hope PalmOne does more than just remove the camera like perhaps improve the screen rez or add BT as well...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Actually, I think this is a good sign. The handheld market has been languishing for the past 2+ years, maintained by growing consumer interest. Now, companies are looking to invest in devices like the Treo 600, as alternatives to the BB (probably because individuals are asking for it, and the overwhelming good reviews).

Alan Reiter talks about the whole issue of company banning camera phones at http://www.cameraphonereport.com/ which is his new blog dedicated to this subject.

As camera phones become as prevalent in the US as they have in Japan, there will be much public debate. Starbucks has an established policy of not allowing photography at their shops. I'm waiting to see how hospitals will address this phenomenon.
    If a company has such little trust in its employees, why stop at banning camera phones? Why don't they check for people carrying USB drives and other storage media?
    If someone really wanted to engage in some corporate espionage, there are plenty of very small digital cameras that could be used a lot more discreetly than a camera phone.

A ban on camera phones probably wouldn't accomplish much...
    I have always believed cameras are useless on phones. If I'm going to take pictures I'll use my digital camera.

Handspring could have used that space to add bluetooth, to make the battery larger, to add more memory or make the device thinner. But a camera? Pointless.
    Handspring could have used that space to add bluetooth, to make the battery larger, to add more memory or make the device thinner. But a camera? Pointless.
    They COULD have done a lot of things, but my guess is that their design was ultimately driven by the providers. Simply put, Sprint and T-Mo want to sell picture mail....hard to do unless your phone has a built-in camera.

For the record, I agree. An extremely crappy camera added to an already high-priced device like the T600 is really unappealing. I wish they offered a camera-less version for those of us who don't want/need that functionality.

Just my 2 cents.

-Joe
    Last edited by ExtraOrdinaryJo; 11/05/2003 at 09:19 PM.
    This fits with my theory that PalmOne will introduce an update Treo with their Spring Product Rollout.

If they remove the camera, add high res, and, if Sprint will allow it, Bluetooth, they have an instant "Professional Version" they can sell to corporations, complete with a nice markup.

Just look at what they've done with the Tungsten line. They did the same thing, but backwards, putting the Professional version first, then adding a "consumer" version later.

Still, I'm not waiting. I'll upgrade if Sprint gets on the ball and allows BT. I think that a Professional version of the Treo would e the perfect vehicle for Bluetooth, as corporate customers are usually the best paying customers, so if anyone should have it (and let's face it, Sprint, you will have to offer it eventually), they should.
    I think the camera was a poor feature anyway. Yeah it is fun to play with sometimes, but it really has no place on a business device since a lot of companies and the government are starting to not allow them in their facilities. The quality makes it that much more worthless. I think a camera SDIO would have been a better option and would definetly produce better pictures. I have used the camera some, but if I were to take a new job and couldn't take my treo in due to a camera that you can't take a decent picture with anyways I would be pissed.
    I bet the design team at HS now would like to say to Sprint, "Hey, look you made us stick in this crappy camera, now the biggest potential customers want it out." The first release should have been sans camera, but with BT. Then offer a better camera in the 2nd release. PalmO better start listening to the customers and not the carriers.
    I love my camera. In my business I have to travel a bunch and send reports back to the corporate office regarding operational issues. The camera (even with it's low resolution) makes it easy to convey what I am speaking about.

"A picture is worth a thousand words."

Ps. Yes, I could use my digital camera, but I could also carry a PDA, blackberry, wireless web attachment etc...Having 1 device that does it all is GREAT and I don't have to hire a Sherpa to carry all my electronic gear!
    What I especially like about the camera is its fast operation. I can pull it out of my belt case and get a shot in about 1 1/2 seconds. Plus, I carry it all the time. It takes my Nikon 2500 at least 4 seconds to boot up.

If PalmOne has a plan for the Treo line, they should remain flexible. There's a famous quote by William Gibson, something like the street finds its own uses for technology.
    Originally posted by Guy_McG
    I bet the design team at HS now would like to say to Sprint, "Hey, look you made us stick in this crappy camera, now the biggest potential customers want it out." The first release should have been sans camera, but with BT. Then offer a better camera in the 2nd release. PalmO better start listening to the customers and not the carriers.
    guy, the carriers are the customers for this phone. handspring has always wais that.

the treo 600 doesn't take good inside pics, maybe it already has the disabled picture feature.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    The camera is rubbish anyway. I'd much rather it had bluetooth.
    I agree the camera is (for me) useless (I carry an Elixim everywhere). It borders on ludicrous to have a camera with out a flash.

But, I think Bluetooth has little use as well. I'd much rather see a removeable battery. (Of course, I'd also like to see Graffiti activated.)
    C'mon now ... the camera was never meant to replace anyone's digital camera.

I agree that the resolution isn't that great, and it dosen't take pictures indoors very well, but it does what it was intended to do - take low quality snapshots that can easily be emailed to anyone, anywhere in the world within seconds after the picture was taken.

I usually don't walk around with my digital camera all the time, but I always have my phone. So it is ideal for taking a quick picture of something interesting (or not so interesting).

I for one am glad Handspring included the camera ... I don't use it much, but it is nice to know it is there if I need it.