Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK GREAT NEWS!! SKULLCANDY DOES WORK ON TREO 600!!!

I have discovered that Skullcandy for Nokia works as both headphones for music on the TREO 600 as well as for the phone portion of the TREO 600. A FEW WEEKS AGO, RICK THE BOSS AT Skullcandy and I decided to run experiments on the TREO 600 and his Backphones, (behind the neck headphone design).

The unit works perfectly for both phone use and music use USING ONLY ONE OF THE TWO ATTACHED PLUGS.

Skullcandy headphones were originally designed for use with two devices, a cell phone and another device for music such as mp3, cassette, etc.

However in today’s experiment, we discovered that the SKULLCANDY Backphones model SCB-N4 Backphones behind the neck headphones) works using JUST THE 3-CONDUCTOR. 3/32"-DIAMETER, 90º TYPE JACK!!!!!

Today Chris of SKULLCANDY and I performed the following tests:

1. I called him using my TREO 600 on sprint, wearing the Skullcandy Backphones model SCB-N4, I heard him perfectly and he reported the same.

As soon as I placed the call, the PTUNES, shut off. We did experiment with playing music once I placed the call, with the following results: I was actually able to hear the music and hear him at the same time. I then went back to PTUNES and shut off the music. Going from the phone screen, to the main application screen and then back to the PTUNES screen again, didn’t terminate the call!

WE DID DISCOVER TWO THINGS:

a. AS MENTIONED ALL OVER THESE BOARDS: THE BLACK PLASTIC PORTION OF THE JACK NEEDS TO BE TRIMMED BACK: as it pulls out of the jack socket slightly, as it comes in contact with the curved shape of the bottom of the TREO 600. Chris did inform me, that very shortly, they were changing the shape of the jack plug casing, so it will have a smaller black plastic casing and this should hopefully will not be a problem down the road. Since it will take me less than 30 seconds with my pocket knife, I do not consider this an issue!

2. He called me on my TREO 600 from his land-line phone from his office in Utah, to my TREO which is in my home in Central Florida. I live in an area where Sprint service is spotty in my home, but perfect everywhere else including my street. I did not hear any static or drop off in sound, neither did Chris on the other end!

The other thing we discovered is: THE INLINE SWITCH TO PICKUP AND HANGUP ON CALLS DID NOT WORK WHEN PLACING CALLS OR RECEIVING THEM. I CAN LIVE WITH THIS, AS I AM PLEASED TO HAVE ONLY ONE HEADPHONE TO DEAL WITH NOT TWO! I do not know if this will be addressed in future designs. The inline volume knob also does not work for volume control of PTUNES.

There is also an EARBUD design of SKULLCANDY, which apparently is wired the same way and should also perform in the same manner.

As for the second plug: Rick of SKULLCANDY, had mentioned that we could cut this plug off if we wish or as Chris of SKULLCANDY, had mentioned that we may wish to leave it on, should we decide to use it for other products as well.

I am keeping this headset and I will report on my progress with them in a week or two. In addition, I will be making an upcoming post on the IGOLF SD GPS unit as soon as it arrives. I was supposed to ship as of 11/15/03, but there may be a slight delay due to the horrible California fires, which were in the area of IGOLF!

Take care, Jay

Ps. As you read this keep in mind that I do not work for SKULLCANDY OR IGOLF & I had to pay for them just like everyone else!
    Good news! Quick question: Did you check to make sure that he was hearing you through the Skullcandy microphone and not the speakerphone microphone on the handset itself? I think Rick from Skullcandy reported this error in an earlier thread.
    I read on a different thread that the mic on the headset doesn't work. Your voice is picked up by the phone's mic. Can you confirm this? If so, then it could be a problem when the phone is in a case on your hip or in your pants pocket.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    There's a new post from SkullCandy in the old thread. I believe this pertains to your tests..

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...33954/s/h.html
  5. OJM
    OK - I am thoroughly confused. The other thread includes a post from Skullcandy (dated 10/28) stating that the headset does NOT work on the T600 and that none will be available until December. Has anyone discovered something new?
    OJMBrooklyn

SPHi300>T300>T600>T650>PPC6700>700WX
    Originally posted by OJM
    OK - I am thoroughly confused. The other thread includes a post from Skullcandy (dated 10/28) stating that the headset does NOT work on the T600 and that none will be available until December. Has anyone discovered something new?
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$ $is$ $nothing$ $new$. $I$ $got$ $a$ $reply$ $email$ $from$ $Rick$ $yesterday$ $that$ $a$ $version$ $for$ $the$ $600$ $will$ $be$ $out$ $by$ $mid$ $December$. $I$'$ll$ $wait$ $til$ $then$ $instead$ $of$ $getting$ $the$ $ones$ $they$ $have$ $in$ $stock$ $now$ $that$ $somewhat$ $work$. $I$ $might$ $just$ $get$ $the$ $HS$ $stereo$ $adapter$ $and$ $use$ $regular$ $stereo$ $headphones$ $to$ $hold$ $me$ $off$ $til$ $then$.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    From my experiences
    -Mic doesnt work
    -Mono only (same channel on both speakers).
    Bummer :-(
  8. OJM
    I have pasted the entire text of an e-mail (below) I received from Skullcandy this evening and I am even more confused. Some people (including Cris from Skullcandy) say the headset works great. Others (including Derosnec) say that it doesn't work well as it is mono only, etc.

Anyone have the definitive answer???

Pasted excerpt from e-mail:

Subject: Re: Headset for Treo 600
    Date: Tue 11/4/03 5:54 PM
    To: owenmckeon
    Reply To: cris@skullcandy.com

We were wrong. We have found out today that the NOKIA 2.5mm pin style pug
    works great with that phone you can call Jay Silverman he has one and it
    works great. His # is (REDACTED)

CRIS WILLIAMS
    E-MAIL: cris@skullcandy.com
    PH. 435.940.1545
    FX. 801.601.3735
    skullcandy.com

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 11:31 AM
    To: rick@skullcandy.com
    Subject: Headset for Treo 600

Hello Rick,

I read your post on treocentral.com and just wanted to ask if you could
    add my e-mail address/name (owenmckeon@earthlink.net) to the list of
    interested parties who will be notified when your Treo 600 headset is
    available. Any idea on an availability date? I can't wait!!

Thanks - Owen McKeon
    OJMBrooklyn

Yesterday GeekMom and I met at a local mall and had coffee, beamed programs, compared Treo stories, and did alot of shopping, lol. Anyhow, we went into FYE to pick up the new release of Finding Nemo. While geeking around the store I spotted the Coby CV-M807 designed like Skullcandy with the 3.5mm and 2.5mm jacks. I figured for $9.99 why not experiment. I plugged the 2.5mm jack into the Treo and called Geekmom....all was well. She called me back and BINGO, we had a winner. I then played Pocket Tunes with it switched to AUDIO, music out of both sides of the headset. However, when she tried to call me, it went straight to voicemail. Not something I would want forever but compared to that nasty lookin dead chicken neck adapter plug Handspring has come up with, I'll deal. Yanno?
    My Treo: I think I'll keep her. All dressed up for prom and her date Foleo stood her up
    I was wondering if anyone could confirm whether the voice was coming from the BUILT-IN mic on the back of the handset, or the ACCESSORY MIC on the Skullcandy headset. My suspicion is that this was overlooked in the test mentioned above, and that the Skullcandy mic was actually not being used.

Tell me if what I'm observing is inaccurate in your opinion.

We STILL have 3-pole plugs and jacks here. We didn't magically turn it into a 4-pole plug, right? 3-pole plugs intended for use as a cell phone headset use the poles to provide Monovoice Signal/Mic signal/ Ground. 3-pole plugs intended for use as stereo headphones use the poles for Leftvoice signal/Rightvoice Signal/ground, right? It sounds logical to me, then, that what is actually happening is that the P-Tunes app simply RE-MAPs the functionality of the jack. It sends the MIC signal to the built-in mic, and sends stereo voice signals to the jack instead.

When you use the 4-pin jack, I believe you're shorting your left and right signals together...You're not actually getting stereo, because the actual signals are being combined at the jack. And I'm suspicious that the skullcandy's MIC is just plain not being used.
    jello
    I'm not buying it either.
    Come on people, we know what we're talking about here right? If I tried out a headset, you'd better believe I'd know which mic it was using. That's the whole point of this discussion. Stereo one minute, then mic the next. NOT the (speakerphone) mic on the unit. I might as well just buy some 2.5mm headphones, not some over priced set, just to "cut the other wire off"?

Jay, could you confirm?
    -Treo 600 on Sprint
    The odd thing about these discussions to me is:

Doesn't someone have a line to Hand...PalmOne that could explain how the jack is supposed to work?

Like technical documentation, or access to an engineer. It seems very, very odd accessory manufacturers should have to guess and poke and prod and try to reverse engineer a compatible product.

Moo,
    Frank
    Originally posted by fairoasis
    I plugged the 2.5mm jack into the Treo and called Geekmom....all was well. She called me back and BINGO, we had a winner. I then played Pocket Tunes with it switched to AUDIO, music out of both sides of the headset. However, when she tried to call me, it went straight to voicemail.
    When you switched to 'audio', did you switch jacks or did you keep it on the 2.5mm. Also, was the sound mono coming out of both ears or stereo?

Thanks for the impressions. This sounds like the best interim alternative.

Chi
    smart reviews for serious gamers
    <A HREF="http://mobile.gamecritics.com">mobile.gamecritics.com</A>
  14.    #14  
    I COVERED OVER THE TELEPHONE MIC WITH MY FINGER AND IT STILL WORKED, PRESSING DOWN ON THE POHONE MIC AS HARD AS i COULD, BUT STILL JUGLING 2 PHONES. I ONLY TRYED TO CALL MYSELF ON THE TREO TO MY HOME PHONE. AS SOON AS MY MOM IS OUT OF THE HOSPITAL I WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY WITH IT SOME MORE TO CHECK OUT ALL OF YOUR COMMENTS AND CALL SOME OF MY FRIENDS WITH IT. AS IT IS I FURHTER CHECKED IT OUT AS PER YOUR COMMENTS AT 3 AM, SO I CERTAINLY WAS NTO CALLING ANYONE ELSE BUT MYSELF. I HAVE NOT CUT OFF PLASTIC ARROUND JACK YET, DID NTO HAVE TIME.

I DID DISCOVER THAT UNLESS U DO SO OR HOLD IT IN PLACE IT POPS OUT VERY EASILY.

WHEN I DO MORE TESTS, I STILL WILL NOT TRIM IT BACK, UNTIL I CAN FURTHER CHECK TO SEE IF U ALL R RIGHT OR IF I AM.

I DID DISCOVER THAT THE ONLINE SWITCH DOES WORK OCCASIONLY.
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by jellolee
    I was wondering if anyone could confirm whether the voice was coming from the BUILT-IN mic on the back of the handset, or the ACCESSORY MIC on the Skullcandy headset. My suspicion is that this was overlooked in the test mentioned above, and that the Skullcandy mic was actually not being used.

Tell me if what I'm observing is inaccurate in your opinion.

We STILL have 3-pole plugs and jacks here. We didn't magically turn it into a 4-pole plug, right? 3-pole plugs intended for use as a cell phone headset use the poles to provide Monovoice Signal/Mic signal/ Ground. 3-pole plugs intended for use as stereo headphones use the poles for Leftvoice signal/Rightvoice Signal/ground, right? It sounds logical to me, then, that what is actually happening is that the P-Tunes app simply RE-MAPs the functionality of the jack. It sends the MIC signal to the built-in mic, and sends stereo voice signals to the jack instead.

When you use the 4-pin jack, I believe you're shorting your left and right signals together...You're not actually getting stereo, because the actual signals are being combined at the jack. And I'm suspicious that the skullcandy's MIC is just plain not being used.
    DEAR JELLO,

elsewhere on this site the four contacts were mapped for us. if i remember correctly it was

left hadset
    right hedset
    mic
    mono tel speaker

the skullycandy mini jack has 4 metal contact with 3 black bands. so that should be 4 contacts.

i do not have time to search for it, but i think that promo tour that HS had had wiring diagrams of it. I will try to call HS to see if you or I are corrent, take care, jay
    ps, see what i said int he posting just abouve about cutting off existing mic by covering it over, will try further experiments shortly, take care, jay
  16. OJM
    Jay,

Thanks for all of the info - have you had a chance to confirm that mp3s are playing in stereo? Cris from Skullcandy was uncertain and some people have posted comments indicating that music is played mono. All info is appreciated!
    OJMBrooklyn

17.    #17  
    It sure sounds like stereo to me, but I am admitly tone deaf. I have to get a chance to call HS. Either way the skullcandy headset sounds great and is very, very comfortable. take care, jay
    Does JACKED work?
    Skullcandy does not work!
    It plays my MP3 files only mono.
    (I tested with several different files, including my own library files and some sample MP3 files from the net. So, I'm sure)

Sucks!
    I can't believe that with all of the discussions on this website and other sites as well, that a company has not developed a headset that will work with music, phone, mic, talk/hang up button & have just one plug. This seems so basic, especially when you have a phone that's made to do everything. This phone can do just about everything but brush your teeth. AMAZING!!

There is so much technology out there and so many accessories available for this phone, I just can't believe that we are talking about shaving off a piece of the plug to get a headset to somewhat work with this phone.

It seems that an all purpose headset would have been one of the 1st things a company would have come out with because it is an instant $$$$ maker with the Treo 600. UNBELIEVABLE!!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast