Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    forgive my ignorance, but wifi would benefit a sprint treo 600 by letting us get connected in areas where sprint coverage fails, as long as those areas have hotspots, correct?

that would be pretty cool if thats the case.
  3. purpleX
    Assuming there ever will be a VOIP app running on treo 600. IMO the chance is slim to none.
    so it sounds like there would be no point to picking up a wifi card, then. hmm. damn, sounded like a neat add_on to the treo.
    whoa there, Purple-one - let's not rain on treobk214's parade prematurely -

tbk - the Purple one's reference to VOIP assumed you were asking about using the wi-fi to connect for voice calls (which you might have well been). The main intent with those wi-fi SD cards, as you probably know, is to allow connection to your local wi-fi hotspot, for high-speed data connections, and not for voice (although, some are wishing/hoping/planning to use their wi-fi devices for a VOIP/WLAN voice connection at some point).

So - you might indeed be able to use the wi-fi card in a treo for data connection. I doubt, though, that there will be any place where you'd be able to get wi-fi coverage that wouldn't ALSO have full CDMA coverage. In other words - where there's wi-fi, there's also likely to be CDMA coverage, so the main use, then, for a wi-fi card in a treo would be to get the higher speed available via wi-fi.

And your last point about 'no point in picking up a wi-fi card' - well that depends. If you're searching for higher speed connectivity than what Sprint's data network provides, and you don't mind being limited to just using the nearest hot spot, then it WOULD indeed be a neat add-on the Treo.

Sorry Purple - you can take that gleeful smile off your face now.
    But I've already got a wifi home network setup so I can get online from my laptop. So theoretically a wi-fi card for the treo would allow me to use that (faster) network for data while at home, and not have to pay any data access charges. Right?
    Check out this thread...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...ight=VoIP.html

http://www.vliusa.com/prof_personal/palmgphone.php

But Scott, that's the idea...surf faster at home, or Starbucks...
    I am not sure that wifi would be all that much faster than PCS Vision. Have you ever used your Treo as a wireless modem for your laptop? You can surf pretty fast on the laptop using the Treo as a modem, so the Vision connection is pretty fast.

So I suspect that the bottleneck is the Treo hardware and the browser. Blazer or any other palm browser will only render pages so fast, so a faster connection, may not mean that you can surf faster on the Treo.

I am a longtime (former) Pocket PC user and have a wifi network at home. I had a Dell Axim with a 400mhz processor and web browsing on the Axim using my home network with a great DSL connection wasn't much faster than it is on the Treo using Vision.

So don't expect it to be all that much faster.
    Do we have a projected cost for this? Also how often does anyone think they would browse from their local wi-fi network on their Treo? I mean why not use your desktop or laptop with the better screen and keyboard?

It's still very cool and I'd love to have it. I'm just curious if I'd really use it.
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    Do we have a projected cost for this? Also how often does anyone think they would browse from their local wi-fi network on their Treo? I mean why not use your desktop or laptop with the better screen and keyboard?

It's still very cool and I'd love to have it. I'm just curious if I'd really use it.
    The Sandisk Pocket PC card is on their site for $129.99US. That, plus an off-the-shelf access point, you're looking at $200-250.

Personally, I could see using it @ home (don't have a laptop - just bought a T600 ) so I'd end up using it in front of the TV or in the yard w/ a margarita...
    well my roommate has a wi-fi network for his laptop, but I'm usually near my desktop.

I'd say that $130 is a reasonable price for the card. I thought it might be a $200 because it seems like they've cornered the market at least for now.

Well, I don't have my Treo yet (waiting for AT&T so I can have work pay for the access), but it seems to me that if I were going to use a data connection (for whatever reason) and happened to be at home it would be nice not to have to pay extra for it. It's the money, not the speed. But then again I'd have to buy the wireless card first so it's probably a moot point. I suppose you could use it to sync wirelessly though.
    Originally posted by ScottUrman

Well, I don't have my Treo yet (waiting for AT&T so I can have work pay for the access), but it seems to me that if I were going to use a data connection (for whatever reason) and happened to be at home it would be nice not to have to pay extra for it. It's the money, not the speed. But then again I'd have to buy the wireless card first so it's probably a moot point. I suppose you could use it to sync wirelessly though.
    I'd venture that 95% of the people on the board (maybe more) are Sprint customers with the unlimited data plan. If you are not going with a cheap unlimited data plan, I don't know why you go with the Treo 600. Check out the thread on people's usage thus far and it seems like most are using 60 megs in about three weeks.

I'd venture that 95% of the people on the board (maybe more) are Sprint customers with the unlimited data plan. If you are not going with a cheap unlimited data plan, I don't know why you go with the Treo 600. Check out the thread on people's usage thus far and it seems like most are using 60 megs in about three weeks.
    I've got Cingular (since I bought my Visorphone!!!) and like the GSM/GPRS deal. TMO coverage in Sacramento is so-so, but Cingular's data plans suck eggs. With more & more businesses putting in hot spots, it seems like a good way to go...
    thanks nrosser! you were right, i was meaning web connectivity when i was referring to getting connected off sprints coverage area.
    i appreciate you backing us up!! it will be interesting as far as how fast our connection is with wifi after hearing that a 400mhz dell axium is about as fast a browser as our current treo 600 is.
    intriguing! well, we`ll see when december rolls around. hoping a card like that wont retail above $150. a little pricey.
    thanks again!!!
    tbk
    Who knows how the package (T600 and SD 802.11) will actually perform, but I was at a conference and used a loaner Tungsten C on the network they had setup and was quite surprised... The thing was incredibly fast! I have no idea how the metrics break down, but I would guess four times faster than my T600 with a solid connection. Also, virtually no latency. I am not on the edge of my seat waiting to get Wi-Fi on my T600, but I can imagine popping it in while at home or at the office to remove the slight irritation I sometimes feel while waiting for a quick download.

To answer the question of why not use your notebook when at home? Boot time boot time boot time! If I want to do a quick email check, or check news, I don't want to wait for Win XP to boot, find the network, yada yada... But that's just me!

Should be interesting to see what the reality is!

~O
    Originally posted by oyinbo
    To answer the question of why not use your notebook when at home? Boot time boot time boot time! If I want to do a quick email check, or check news, I don't want to wait for Win XP to boot, find the network, yada yada... But that's just me!
    Fair answer. I'm usually near a computer and I leave it on sleep or just on all the time. I learned quickly that having an always on internet connection works only if your computer is always on.
    One nice use for WiFi/Treo600 at home would be the ability to sync the treo over the network. Would the 802.11b (or g) be faster than USB syncing?
    Costco.com is quoting $99 for the card right now. I guess we are still waiting on the drivers, though.

<quote:>

The Wi-Fi SD (Secure Digital) card is the smallest Wi-Fi card in the market. The card will allow SDIO enabled devices to connect to HotSpots (802.11b Access Points) worldwide for fast wireless Internet connectivity. The card supports Pocket PC 2002 and Pocket PC 2003 devices that have an SDIO enabled slot.

11 Mbps High Speed Data Transfer Rate
    Wi-Fi compatible - use any Wi-Fi (aka 802.11b) access point
    Supports devices running Pocket PC 2002 and Pocket PC 2003
    Battery optimized for lowest power and highest performance
    Powerful and easy to use security feature makes WEP encryption easy

Shipping will be calculated at checkout based on your ship-to location.

Standard shipping is via UPS Ground. The estimated delivery time will be approximately 7 to 10 business days from the time of order.

Express shipping is via UPS Air. The estimated delivery time will be approximately 3 to 6 business days from the time of order.

Please choose your shipping method at checkout.

Costco.com offers merchandise which complements our warehouse product selection. Therefore, most items available on our web site are unique to costco.com.

Costco.com products can be returned to any of our more than 400 Costco warehouses worldwide.

[Model SDWSDB000768]
    What would really be nice would be an SD equivalent to the SanDisk CF Connect Plus card - 128 Mb + WiFi. I really want / need the WiFi, but at the same time I don't want to go back to having to use Sprints crummy image sharing because I don't have a memory card installed.

Dunc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast