Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SanDisk offers two versions of the card...... No mem and 128m.
    I knew that there were two versions (wifi & wifi + memory) of the CF cards, but I didn't know that there were two versions of the SD card. That's great!

Dunc
    I just bought my T600 in fact tracking number says it will be on my doorstep tommarow. So I am just wondering will the Sandisk card work or not. From what I am reading it should work but Sandisk/Palm can't get it together on drivers.

Is this the case?

-Turn3
    That's right it's strictly a driver issue. SanDisk is saying that the drivers are forthcoming, but the date keeps changing.

Dunc
    Originally posted by Reecee
    SanDisk offers two versions of the card...... No mem and 128m.
    Uh...I can't find the 128MB SD version anywhere. They do this with the CF version, but the 128MB SD WiFi doesn't seem to be listed on their site, and I can't find retailers selling it.

Are you sure about this? And, if you are, where can I buy one? I thought I'd go ahead and pick one up so I could be First On My Block when the drivers come out. I'm really optimistic I'll be able to stream decent-sounding MP3s and use this thing as an IP-powered walkman.
    Hmmmmn...... Just did another search of thier site...... My bad...
    I had email SanDisk about a week ago and finally got a response early this week about the SD Wifi for Palm. They said that Palm is not supported currently and wont be till "business" issues between them and PalmOne get resolved. Dont know what "business" issues means but I'm not expecting it to get resolved very soon.
    SD card to add Wi-Fi capability to smart phones
    Wi-Fi promises higher transmission speeds than phone networks
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/...Nsdcard_1.html

By Joris Evers, IDG News Service December 04, 2003

Chip design company SyChip is testing software for its SDIO (secure digital I/O) WLAN (wireless LAN) card so it can be used to add Wi-Fi capability to smart phones.

With the card and the software, smart phones can use a WLAN to transmit data and double as a cordless VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) phone when linked to a corporate IP telephony service, said Navi Miglani, SyChip's director of marketing.

Wi-Fi capability could be a welcome addition for smart phone users as it offers higher transmission speeds than current phone networks. Also, VoIP users will only need one handset that they can use as both a mobile phone while on the road and as their work phone in the office.

SyChip's SDIO 802.11b WLAN card is currently sold as a PDA (personal digital assistant) accessory by SanDisk Corp., ViewSonic Corp. and Socket Communications Inc. It retails for about $130. However, for smart phone use SyChip had to develop new driver software.

"Smart phones have a different user interface, with buttons instead of a touch screen. We had to develop software for that," Miglani said.

During a session at the Wi-Fi Planet Conference & Expo in San Jose, California, Wednesday, Miglani showed a Windows Mobile-based Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. i600 device with the SDIO card and a beta version of the driver software. A final version is due out in the first quarter of 2004, along with software for Palm OS-based smart phones, he said.

SyChip is also working on software to make its SDIO cards work with smart phones based on Symbian Ltd.'s namesake operating system, though Miglani could not say when his company would deliver drivers for that operating system.

Smart phone users will have to manually install the drivers on their devices to use WLAN. This will most likely be done through synchronization with a PC, Miglani said. SyChip is working with Microsoft Corp. with the hope of having its drivers included in future versions of the Windows Mobile software for smart phones.

Jason Gordon, product manager in Microsoft's Mobile Devices Division, could not make any promises.

"While we have nothing to announce today, one of Microsoft's top priorities is to continue to empower the Windows Mobile software and hardware developer community with both the technical tools and business support to easily develop and market solutions that allow people to connect to people and information in new ways," he said in a statement.

Wi-Fi capability is valuable, but users will want to have it built into products and not in the form of an expansion card, said Michael Gartenberg, a research director at Jupiter Research.

"Many organizations will be looking for devices that have Wi-Fi functionality built in, rather than looking at the aftermarket for expansion cards. For one thing, the cards tend to protrude on some of the devices, that will certainly hamper usability. Battery life is a second issue. If I am now powering an SDIO Wi-Fi card, that can severely restrict battery life," he said.

On the Samsung device, SyChip's Miglani showed the SDIO card did jut out from the side of the phone.

Phones that have Wi-Fi built in are on the horizon. In Japan, for example, NTT DoCoMo Inc. and NEC Corp. have developed a handset that supports both 3G (third-generation) cellular telephony and WLAN. The device is due out around the beginning of the new Japanese fiscal year, which starts in April.
    Palm III > Treo 300 > Treo 600.B
    Yahoo news article on smartphones.

Highlights:
    "And when it comes to the digital living room, if a personal video recorder can wirelessly transmit digital video to a handheld or smart phone and manage your digital library, what need is there for a traditional PC? "
    "There's a lot of interest competing for that space "
    "We're not nearly to the point where road warriors can leave their laptops at home," Bajarin said, noting that he goes Treo-only when he's scooting around Silicon Valley for meetings and needs the phone function and access to e-mail. "We're probably a good 18 months away from that."

Quick:
    If the Treo 600 gets wifi, other than the screen it's a pretty capable device. It could really do a lot of things locally, at acceptable speeds. Palmone hardware would suffer, as the high end devices would not be as attractive, almost all of them could use the card. So, you could do wifi, hi-res for 300 bucks, so Palm could stand to lose some money!

IMHO(long):
    I think that the drivers for OS5 for the SD are done, or in some sort of beta. How could they not, the card has been out for a long time, and they should know they need to support it.

But... the Zire71, and all Tungsten owners would be able to use it.. could kill the TungstenC's sales, which is the flagship. If you look at the palmone lineup, all of their products have competitively compromising features. You could make the TW a pretty cool device, if it was faster, oh, and played mp3's

As far as networking goes..
    The only bluetooth's are the TT's, if you could get a TE for $199, plus $128 for the wifi card, same as the cheapest TT's. They'd be selling a lot of "value" and not many "power" which could happen in these "economic times". I dont see using BT, if I have wifi. Funny how we haven't seen SD BT support either? They are denying us our networks, for now... lol
    Personally, I'd use it in my Treo, but I want the T3, for all the features. Wifi functionaily would seal the deal. If I could use it with both devices, and swap it, the price seems great! 320x480 wifi is ideal, although I could achieve similar with the integrated BT, so it's still on the wishlist.

That being said...
    I guess I really don't mind waiting. There are so many NEW things I can do with my Treo that I've never been able to do before, and if I really want to, I can use the phone net to do most "local" things, just slow. Palmone has a plan, and investors to answer to, and just took over a device that fits in WELL to their lineup(-Amazing- how it just fits! lol) I think the wifi could be bad for current business, and I, for one do want them to be profitable.

Maybe they'll add it on the next round of devices, or when pressure from the Pocketcamp gets too hot. Dell is coming in pretty cheap these days!

Sorry for the long read, just on my mind trying to rationalize the situation.

-Brian
    -Treo 600 on Sprint
    I hope the SANDisk WiFi card comes out in December for the Treo 600, unfortunately, this is the official SANDisk response I received today.

-----Original Message-----
    From: Consumer Inquiries [mailto:consumerinquiries@sandisk.com]
    Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 11:11 AM
    To: Mark H Smith
    Subject: RE: SD WiFi for Treo600

Unfortunatly we do not have Palm OS support and do not know when we will. There are business issues with Palm Source that are preventing us from delivering a solution.

Best Regards,

Jerry

SanDisk Consumer Inquiries
    the treo 600 can't power WiFi, check my other post:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t44300/s.html
    no.

the treo can't power THAT wifi chipset.

if others come out it may be a possibility.
    Originally posted by steven975
    no.

the treo can't power THAT wifi chipset.

if others come out it may be a possibility.
    "May be a possibility" is the key. It seems that few other people are coming out with wi-fi SD cards. It's also quite a possibility that wi-fi requires more power than the Treo can support - even if you were to use the best chipset producable by current technology. We don't know if SanDisk's is greatly engineered or poorly engineered and we don't know how close to the Treo's limit it is. If it's poorly engineered and close to the Treo's limit, we've got a good shot I'd say. However if it's engineered very well, and still far off from working, I'm guessing we can give up on wi-fi in a reasonable time-frame.

And let's face it, if technology has to improve a bit, it may take a year in which point it might not be cost effective to begin production of a wi-fi for a Treo 600 -- the next Treo will likely have more power or maybe integrated wi-fi and probably won't be too far from market.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12