1.    #1  
    we have streaming audio... now what about streaming video?? PPC can do it... why cant we?

if we can play a 160x120 clip w/o skipping, then why not stream it? What kind of bandwith would you need to stream video?

what about using a wi-fi card? that would increase bandwith.. but is the treo capable of streaming video and sound given that it has enough bandwith?

-n
    Yes, that would be awesome. In theory, the t600 probably can, but I don't know of any apps that support it.

Are there any?

mansona
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    All indications are that we can't reliably stream audio faster than 56kbps. The minimum acceptible video bitrate I've used is about 180kbps. I don't think the Treo's up to it.

ian
    YES, OF COURSE YOU CAN STREAM VIDEO ON PALMOS! But unfortunately they're all proprietary :

Kinoma 2 supports streaming movies

Fire Producer Desktop for Palm OS

Some needs to get off their keister and fix this problem! *HINT*MMplaer*HINT* Anyway, I'm pretty sure this will happen eventually. Any developer that will support open/multiple file types for video streaming is gonna be hit product IMO. So the question is: how come no one has released one yet? Unfortunately, I'm not a programmer so I don't know the answer to that...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I forgot that Kinoma does sorta stream videos. Of course it generally buffers more than half the movie before it's really safe to play, but it will download, and play at the same time so I guess that's streamed.

One problem I'm sure MMplayer has is that its highest compression supported codec, DiVX, is that it's wrapped in the AVI file format, which is unstreamable. I've never quite understood why, but nothing out there can stream AVIs. (including WMP, Divx Player, Winamp.. etc). The only streamable format MMPlayer supports is MPEG1 which is way too low a compression to really be useful for streaming (over anything but digital cable or satelite TV). Mpeg 4 would be the answer.

ian
    divx is streamabx
    Does anyone have Java installed on their Treo? If so, can you see if you can play this video:
    http://www.mytelus.com/movies/traile...movieID=51532a

It uses a Java applet to play back the video, would be interesting to see if it works. There are several applications of this type.
    Originally posted by kazinvan
    Does anyone have Java installed on their Treo? If so, can you see if you can play this video:
    http://www.mytelus.com/movies/traile...movieID=51532a

It uses a Java applet to play back the video, would be interesting to see if it works. There are several applications of this type.
    People have treid WebSphere but it doesn't seem to work. However, somone in this thread mentioned they were able to get a J2ME working on the Treo600. Here's the link that was mentioned to the Sun VM...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I read last week that Sprint was going to offer on Wen or Thurs a 2 frame per second tv streem. It requires the vision package and also another $10 per month. Current tv works at like 32 frames per second so the quality won't be there, but they said the sound would be okay.

www.treobits.com
    Treo 600 friendly website with Ringtones, Shoutcast Feeds and more...
  10.    #10  
    if you are talking about MobiTV that wont work on the T600
    Originally posted by wolfbeast
    if you are talking about MobiTV that wont work on the T600
    Nope...check out http://www.zerobits.com/modules/ipbo...hp?showtopic=9 for the full story.

www.treobits.com
    Treo 600 friendly website with Ringtones, Shoutcast Feeds and more...
  12.    #12  
    that is MobiTV... and it currently doesnt work on the treo 600... because the 600 doesnt support Java