1.    #1  
    Hi
    I have seen this in a few other postings althoguh not seen the answer yet.

After connecting to the internet to check something, I goto another app and there is an umbrella, green arrows and the signal strength.

I then worry that I am still somehow downloading data to the phone and running a bill which means I panic and turn the phone off and then on again to ensure I am not connected.

Is there a simpler away to work out if I am downloading data?
    Can I disconnect simply from gprs?

And how can check how much data I download the ##xxx thing does not work on orange

thanks in advance

Rich
    Rich, everyone (and Orange when I phoned them) now says that the Green Arrows are GPRS (the manual is wrong) , which means that you are NOT paying except for what you are specifically downloading - i.e. you pay for amount downloaded rather than timeconnected (can stay connected all day if needed).

Nevertheless you can disconnect without turning the phone on and off by going to preferences-network-disconnect.

Jon
    Hi,

At the moment theres no way of seeing how much data you have used, i'm sure by phoneing 150 you should be able to be told... but i don't know if Orange will be able to tell you yet.

As for disconnecting, the way i'm doing it is, Prefs --> Network -- Disconnect. It seems to work

Ta
    W
    or if you splash out and buy snappermail..which is expensive but a great email programme...it has an auto disconnect option after you've downloaded your email..youcan also use it for the browser disconnect too
    I've received an SMS today from Orange France telling me that I've surpassed the default 5 Mb for the current bill period. Which started at Oct 22 and I thought I had been really cautious with downloading.

Oh well, I better switch to the new 10 Mb Orange World plan. Why oh why there are no unlimited data plans in Europe?
  6.    #6  
    When I bought the phone the orange representative showed me an instore list of an unlimited gprs package but it still was bounded by a "fair usage policy". This seemed strange that they called it unlimited and they would not specify how many mb I was limited to it. I think it was 50 pounds a month + vat or thereabouts. It was under their business plans.

thanks for the advice, just have to work out how to get web usage faster.
    Is there a way to get blazer to work faster. I have pics turned off, can you make it black and white perhaps?
    Will blazer 3.0 run faster with a proxy?
    What proxy is best?
    What memory management settings are best?

Or is there a quicker net program?
    Someone mentioned WapMan at the orange shop. Is this better?

so many questions, such a little powerful device...

thanks

Rich
    Originally posted by rich1221
    Hi

I then worry that I am still somehow downloading data to the phone and running a bill which means I panic and turn the phone off and then on again to ensure I am not connected.

From the Orange UK web site 'To establish a network connection, the GPRS terminal will only need to conduct a set-up session once, which takes one to two seconds, with the terminal then staying on-line but without using any network resource.'

See:

http://www.orange.co.uk/business/sma...logy/gprs.html

I'd been leaving the connection on and found it to be very stable, dropping perhaps once a day or so. Even so, I'm now using potatoho's TreoHelper, which reconnects automatically in the event of a disruption to reception. The software, which is free, has lots of other functions too; check it out:

http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/treohelper.html

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t33249/s.html