1.    #1  
    as far as I can see, the only disadvantage of the SPCS Vision is that it routes incoming calls to voicemail during an active connection.

does anyone know if there is a workaround for this. IE... any way to get a notification that someone was sent to VM even if they dont leave a message?

would it be possible to have software that modifies the 'call forwarding' functionality. So.. for example.. every time you start using data (green arrows) this hack would automatically set the forwarding to a predetermined number.. so that calls would go to that number... then when the arrows go grey, the forwarding is removed?

A workaround to this would greatly increase the usability of the phone while browsing. You wouldnt have to worry about missed calls.

Anyone know if this is possible?

-n
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I don't understand why this doesn't work like call waiting already.. It just doesn't make any sense.. you can have two streams then (active call, then one trying to come through).

Seems sprint should be able to work this out.
  3.    #3  
    i am not an expert but i think the reason is that data is treated differently than voice...

for example say you can only have 2 channels open.. ie.. for a 3 way call (one channel for each call)

when u use data, both of these channels are used... one for up.. one for down?

i am not sure if this is correct..

-n
    There is no possible workaround for this problem - it is, as has been said, inherent in 1xRTT systems. When Sprint eventually upgrades their system, it will be possible to have both data and voice available at the same time, but they don't seem too be in any big hurry to roll it out...

Marc
  5.    #5  
    I know it is inherant in 1xrtt... but can there be a workaround like routing calls to a different number while actively transferring data?
    Right...routing the call to another number to hold while the user is notified (somehow) and can choose to break the data session and accept the call. I don't know how the notification can be made, though. Maybe SMS?
    The hack would not be able to be implemented on your side because it's the system that's routing the call to voicemail. The phone doesn't know that some1 is trying to call it when it's in an active data session.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    It may be a limitation of 1xRTT networks that we can't get calls while using Vision, but it would be trivial to work around it.

All that is needed is for Sprint's backend to notify the Treo via the Vision connection that a call is coming in. The phone can either automatically dump vision and pick up the call, or prompt the user as to whether or not they want to answer the call. Seriously-- how hard would that be? A small bit of code on their backend, and an even smaller bit on the phone itself.

Unfortunately, I doubt Sprint will put in the effort.
    The point being that Sprint has to be involved, and I think the odds of that are about zero.

Marc
    Originally posted by raygundan
    It may be a limitation of 1xRTT networks that we can't get calls while using Vision, but it would be trivial to work around it.

All that is needed is for Sprint's backend to notify the Treo via the Vision connection that a call is coming in. The phone can either automatically dump vision and pick up the call, or prompt the user as to whether or not they want to answer the call. Seriously-- how hard would that be? A small bit of code on their backend, and an even smaller bit on the phone itself.

Unfortunately, I doubt Sprint will put in the effort.
    I also doubt that it's that simple. Easier said than done.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
  11.    #11  
    what i was thinking of would be to route calls to my home phone number and then maybe write a simple program that runs on my home computer and extracts the caller ID info and then sends an SMS to my phone.

In order to do this, you would have to be able to route calls to another number from the phone. I noticed that in the Phone preferences, you can enable forwarding of calls to a specified number. I was thinking it would be relatively simple to write a hack that checks whether the network connection is active and then changes the phone pref to forward calls.

the only problem with this is the behavior of call forwarding. I have noticed that when you initiate forwarding.. it has to talk to the network for a few seconds.

Of course, you could have all your calls forwarded to a specified number and then a computer at that number send an SMS and then forward calls back to your phone... but that would be too confusing

just throwing ideas out there to circumvent this SPCS problem

-n
  12.    #12  
    what i was thinking of would be to route calls to my home phone number and then maybe write a simple program that runs on my home computer and extracts the caller ID info and then sends an SMS to my phone.

In order to do this, you would have to be able to route calls to another number from the phone. I noticed that in the Phone preferences, you can enable forwarding of calls to a specified number. I was thinking it would be relatively simple to write a hack that checks whether the network connection is active and then changes the phone pref to forward calls.

the only problem with this is the behavior of call forwarding. I have noticed that when you initiate forwarding.. it has to talk to the network for a few seconds.

Of course, you could have all your calls forwarded to a specified number and then a computer at that number send an SMS and then forward calls back to your phone... but that would be too confusing

-n
  13.    #13  

-n
  14.    #14  
    hehe.. stupid server was slow.. clicked post reply 3x

sorry
    Working on the old post count, huh?