1.    #1  
    Anyone have a problem with vibrate mode dying? I've got mine set to vibrate regardless of the position of the ringer switch on top. The first couple of days it vibrated when alerts became active, but it hasn't since (two weeks now). I tried turning off vibrate mode in sound prefs (for all apps), turned it back on; still no go. Soft resets (still no vibrate), deleted all added software (still no vibrate), hard resets (still no vibrate).

The last thing I'm gonna try is the backspace + K super duper hard reset (battery disconnect type).

Any suggestions???
    === EDITED ===
    Sblanter,

Please disregard my post... I did not read your post fully.

Dave
    === END OF EDIT ===

Sblanter,

I know it "sounds" simple but have you checked...

Go to:
    Calendar App
    > Sound Prefernces Menu
    > Application: Calendar/Phone/SMS

Make sure that on each one:
    Sound Mode On > Vibrate > On
    Sound Mode Off > Vibrate > On

Dave Lindberg

P.S. I think you can set them independently.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks to all who may have tried to think about how to solve this problem (and the one who actually posted). I really should've titled this thread "Vibrate Dead". Anyway, I got it fixed. So if anyone else has this problem, and just dread having to go through the "waiting for replacement" problem (and testing everything on the replacement to make sure it all works), you might want to try what I did (I actually read a few months ago about someone doing this on a Kyo 7135):

- Make a calendar entry that causes the alert to activate every minute.

- Set sound prefs so that it vibrates along with sound (and set switch at top to enable sound).

- Place phone in palm of right hand, screen side up, antenna towards you (I tried this with the antenna pointing away and couldn't get it to work).

- (Sounds weird, but...) Every time you hear the alert, move your arm/hand/phone like you're knocking pretty hard on someone's front door, but instead of actually hitting anything, stop the movement suddenly in mid-air. Quit the movement when alert stops, resume when it starts again (or until vibrate motor starts moving again).

It took me about five or six alerts or so of doing this to get the vibrate motor turning again (and the first time I felt it turning it kind of sputtered, so I kept it up a few more times). I did this about five days ago and it has been vibrating fine every time since then (although it's the weak vibrate everyone knows and loves so well).
    ahhh, that wonderful handspring quality- nothing like that feeling of confidence knowging that your phone was loving assembled out of the cheapest components possible....

i just got mine yesterday, GSM version- and the vibrate motor is the most anemic i think i've ever seen on a phone...definitely a downside, ringers sound great though, but the vibrate is truly worthless...
    Originally posted by sblanter
    - Place phone in palm of right hand, screen side up, antenna towards you (I tried this with the antenna pointing away and couldn't get it to work).

- (Sounds weird, but...) Every time you hear the alert, move your arm/hand/phone like you're knocking pretty hard on someone's front door, but instead of actually hitting anything, stop the movement suddenly in mid-air. Quit the movement when alert stops, resume when it starts again (or until vibrate motor starts moving again).
    Its almost the year 2004, and a product that costs Retail $700 we have to "rig" it to work... haha. This reminds me of hitting the side of my old Zenith TV back in the early 80's when the screen wouldnt didnt display correctly.

lol
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    I can't believe this.
    I have a Treo 700P that stopped vibrating about a week ago.
    All the trouble shooting I did was a waste of time.

I stumbled across this post in a last ditch search before I went through the super hell torture of going to a "Tech" at my sprint store. (what a joke they are)

I was shocked! This 'method' actually worked.
    I have mixed feelings though.
    I am overjoyed to have my vibrate mode working again.
    But I am sickened that I spent as much money as I did for this thing and it can't have a better vibrate motor than this.
    EVEN after several releases AFTER the T600.
    I am not happy.
    Maybe this will be the camels back breaking.
  7.    #7  
    Well, I posted this "fix" at the end of 2003 (the most of which I actually found from somewhere else - just revised a little), and although I don't use the phone anymore I just checked it and found the vibrate STILL works.

It never went dead again after I applied this "fix".
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Ok. Totally bringing up an old thread here, but I'm having this issue. No vibrate at all now.

I couldn't figure out how to make an alarm repeat every minute, so I tried calling my cell from my house phone, doing the back and forth hand motion but to no avail.

Anyone have any other or more tips? I rely on vibrate heavily and really don't want to have to send this thing in under insurance.

Thanks.