1.    #1  
    Is there a consensus as to how important it is to charge the phone for the full three hours the first time. I have done many full charges since, but I needed the phone and had to leave the hosue, and didnt have the car charger yet.

Thanks for any help!
    You must charge it until the LED turns green the 1st time. This is critical for any battery.
  3.    #3  
    There must be some room for error, I charged it and I think that the battery was at 100% but the light had not turned green yet, and if you can use the phone while it charging, what should it really matter?
    It matters A LOT. I have done personal tests to verify this. Batteries that I had not waited has the more horrible reliability and talk time. Most of them would end up dropping calls will full battery.

Don't take my word for it, do a search on google and read the techy reasons for it. I think it has to-do with bubles forming in the battery that will never go away.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Everything I've ever read suggests that with Lithium Ion or Polymer batteries, this is not nearly as big a concern as it used to be.

That being said, it's still good practice to do that initial charge. It's sort of like going easy on your car for the first 1000 miles. For most modern cars, the "break-in" period is completely unnecessary, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

I've failed to do this for various reasons with a few batteries on laptops and iPods, and I've never had a problem. But I still plan on charging my T600 fully when it comes in.

The more important thing to remember with your Treo Battery is to top it off whenever possible. DO NOT run it down to zero charge on a regular basis. That will do more for the life of your Lithium Ion battery than anything else.

And remember, in two to three years, a lithium ion battery will die, regardless of how much or how little you use it. So don't buy old stock for replacement batteries.

Now, if only they'd start making those darned battery LEDs colors other than red and green, for all of us color blind people, so I'd actually be able to tell when it was done charging.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
  6.    #6  
    Thank you for the reply, I am sure that plenty of people cant do the full three hour charge the first time, there is a reason why it is called a "mobile" phone.
  7.    #7  
    bump
    Originally posted by andrewp75
    Thank you for the reply, I am sure that plenty of people cant do the full three hour charge the first time, there is a reason why it is called a "mobile" phone.

it's strictly a comfort thing.... breaking in car is not the same is breaking in battery....

nickel cadmium batteries at one time had a "memory" where the upper limit was somewhat set by the initial charge (and it was best to let them fully discharge)... the same is not true with litium ion batteries...

plus... if you're posting to this board, i'm sure you'llhave a new phone before the battery even gets close to going bad

This interests me too. My battery doesn't seem terrible but I do have concerns. Reason being... I bought my 600 from Best Buy. Apparently they have some new policy where you must activate your new SPCS phone in store. Fine with me however it made me apprehensive to turn on my new phone in store without a full charge...somehow it had a 60-something percent charge to begin with out of the box. Regardless, it's made me question since then whether I've been cheated out of some battery life.

Posted from my 600
    The battery on a Treo 600 is calibrating itself when you do a full charge. That is the way modern power chargers work. It makes sense if you think about it. The battery has to know what 100% is (in terms of total charge capacity or milliamps you can stuff into it) for the the battery at least once - this depends on the age of the battery, temperature and other geekier factors.

Bottom line - charge it fully once and the meter should be as accurate as it can be for the remainder of the life of the phone.

Clue that I am right - the power meter shows a percentage and not a voltage when you tap on it.
    So in my situation, see above, do you think I've lost some charge capacity due to Best Buy's assertion I turn it on to activate it in store? My battery is not horrible but I suspect it's not as good as it could be. I'm also a pessimest/perfectionist which is why I ask. It wouldn't be unusual for my concerns to be exxaggerated. :b
    Three things affect the capacity of Lithium Ion batteries:

1. Get them very hot
    This permanently loses capacity on a LiIon battery - e.g. direct sunlight in a car in summer for several hours >40 or >50 Celcius.

2. General usage - a typical battery will do around 1500 partial discharge cycles/charges while retaining full capacity and then you see a downturn in capacity. This equates to maybe two or three years.

However, if you constantly discharge to the max each time, you will shorten this life. A lithium battery prefers to be discharged slightly and topped up frequently. You will get a longer overall life of the battery in this way. Dont wait til it gets to the red. Charge frequently and top up.

3. Cold
    Cold temperature affects all batteries. Dont leave them get very cold. It affects two things - if you charge the battery while it is cold, the amount of energy it can hold is reduced. Secondly even if you charged it while it was warm, if the battery gets cold later, it cannot deliver the capacity.

The good news is that warming the battery up restores the capacity. You could confuse the battery meter by charging warm and then going into a very cold environment. It might think you had more capacity than you actually do. You would probably see the meter just go down faster than usual.

To answer the original question, your battery is probably fine. Charge it at least once for the full three hours so the meter goes to 100%.