1.    #1  
    First off, this is not a thread about whether this software package is legal or illegal to use. If you want to comment on this go to one of the other threads about that topic.

Well I have been using the HS mail client since last week on the Treo and I have been very impressed. It works great with my Yahoo! mail account and I have it configured to check my mail hourly between 7 AM and 8 PM. Responding to and creating new e-mails is easy and works well.

With this application, the sending of attachments is not as intuitive as Snappermail and others, but it can be done and works great. To send pictures or ringtones, while creating a new mail go to Menu > Options > Insert Attachment. You can then choose which picture or ringtone to send. To send an application/file, you need to be on the main Palm OS screen showing the applications and click on Menu > App > Send. You will then see a list of files and applications like when you want to delete files and click on the file you want to send.

Some wishes that I do have for the software:

- Ability to save attachments on a memory card in the software. I hav not had a card in when downloading an attachment, so I am not possitive that it won't, but it doesn't seem like it will.

- More intutive attachment interface when in the application itself and the ability from the app to go out and get files/apps to attach instead from inside the client.

All in all a very solid mail client that integrates nicely with the Treo 600. I see why Sprint didn't want it integrated in with the Treo because it allows you to totally circumvent their crappy picture mail easily. With all of the BC problems that have been mentioned I don't see myself ever using that service. I may switch to Snappermail, or Iambic in the future as some better functionallity is added, but this product fills the bill for now and should let me do everything I need to.
    That is what I am looking for is intergration, which is how it was designed. On my Palm T3, I prefer VersaMail. I woudl love to use Handspring's mail app on my T3 so I could send pictures to a photoblog. The problem with picture mail is that you can't specify a subject. I was going to get it from Derek's site but it is no longer there unfortunately. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but is the HS mail app is the only one that can read the built in photo database? There is a site that is supposed to host it once it gets it. I have to be patient (which I am not)

Speed
    I like it as well, but I've think I've found something that may make it difficult to use.

When I send a message, the recepient sees the following in the "From" field:

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?James=20Kweku=20Aggrey [=?ISO-8859-1?Q?James=20Kweku=20Aggrey]

or

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?James=20Kweku=20Aggrey?= <kweku@mail.as.miami.edu>.

I've verified that the settings are correct. SnapperMail works fine with the exact same settings.

What's up with that???
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
  4.    #4  
    I don't have this problem. I have sent test messages to my work account and everything looks fine. Maybe it is an issue with HS Mail client and the SMTP server you are using. I am using Yahoo! (HS Mail comes with this one preconfigured) so it works fine with it. If I get a chance I may try another account that I have to see if it works.
    I am using it with sprint's smtp server and mails come and go without a problem.

Comcast does not work with out bound mail however.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I've just started trying out the HS Mail app.

Overall, it's pretty decent. It clearly is not as "complete" as Snappermail, but I think it meets most needs.

I wish it had the ability to create more folders to categorize some of the incoming mail.

And I don't think you can send/retrieve for a single account. It performs the operation for all the accounts you have set up. It could use some customization in this regard.

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong about something.
    How can I get the HS Mail app?
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by Munir
    And I don't think you can send/retrieve for a single account. It performs the operation for all the accounts you have set up. It could use some customization in this regard.

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong about something.
    Actually it will only let you send and receive from a single account. I have one account that updates every hour, and one that is set for manual get. You have to be be in the inbox of the manual get box for it to send and receive from that box. When I hit Send/Receive in the automatic mail, it only gets that mail. Whichever box you are in is the one you are controlling with the onscreen buttons.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    thanks for the correction/clarification.
    It's a pretty decent client for being free (if it was included with the CDMA model). My biggest problem with it is that you can't choose to download an entire e-mail. The most you can select is the first 100k. If you e-mail yourself a fairly large file like a .prc or something else that's on the large side, you can't get the whole thing. SnapperMail lets you download the entire e-mail. Other than that, I like it, much better than Eudora.
    I don't think it is a HS Mail bug. HS Mail sends messages using MIME. It looks like the client at the other end isn't able to decode the mime properly. Some clients only use mime header encoding when needed while HS Mail uses it all the time.
    Originally posted by david050173
    I don't think it is a HS Mail bug. HS Mail sends messages using MIME. It looks like the client at the other end isn't able to decode the mime properly. Some clients only use mime header encoding when needed while HS Mail uses it all the time.
    Oh ok I see. It seems like when I send mail to or from my Sprint account is the only time I have that problem.
    Just follow the link on the T|C article and you can download FROM PALM so it is legal.

It works very well ... still trying to get my SPCS mail, though.
    Originally posted by tjd414
    Just follow the link on the T|C article and you can download FROM PALM so it is legal.

It works very well ... still trying to get my SPCS mail, though.
    You got the beta one? To get my SPCS Mail, I had to change the email password via the website.
    Originally posted by Jaggrey
    You got the beta one? To get my SPCS Mail, I had to change the email password via the website.
    I called *2 and asked for Wireless Web and got a tech. She (named Eve and really good) took care of things.

Problem is that Sprint uses one password for website login, another for your Vision password and yet another for email.

I use the same password for Vision and website login, and the Sprint tech above set my email p/w to the same as my Vision p/w. Works like a champ now!

I asked about SMS and she basically stated this won't be changed until the first of the year ... the Nov 17 issue is that you won't be able to see your shortmail on the website. She also stated that it will not be true SMS, it will be shortmail run along the lines of TreoSMS. She said that currently, only the Treo 600 is able to run this on the Sprint system.

Don't yell ... I'm just telling you what she told me
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    that doesn't make any sense, since there are other phones that also have MO-SMS. Time will tell I guess......
    Originally posted by Jaggrey
    that doesn't make any sense, since there are other phones that also have MO-SMS. Time will tell I guess......
    I agree, but she said that in the SPRINT INVENTORY for THEIR SMS, the Treo 600 is the only one that supports. Don't know if she was just saying it or really knew ... she seemed to be on the ball and had no doubts when I asked her to confirm this.

But you're right ... time will tell ...
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Ok.. maybe I'm missing something, but the only "easy" way I can figue for sending pictres out, with hs app or snapper, is to move them to my sd card and then attach (in the case of snapper) and don't see a send function anywhere (in the case of HS). any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    ok.. found the spot.... which begs the question.. can the snapperheads do something similar in their app.